High BS

hughsey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Am having problems with my morning BS. Am on lantas for night time, and nova rapid during the day. My BS in the morning could be 5.0 and I take 2 slices of toast at 35 carbs. But I find that my sugars rise high, I take double the dose of insulin to try and make sure it doesn't happen. But sometimes I find after 4 hours my sugars start dropping. Any advise please

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi. Am having problems with my morning BS. Am on lantas for night time, and nova rapid during the day. My BS in the morning could be 5.0 and I take 2 slices of toast at 35 carbs. But I find that my sugars rise high, I take double the dose of insulin to try and make sure it doesn't happen. But sometimes I find after 4 hours my sugars start dropping. Any advise please
When you say that your sugars are dropping after four hours, what do you mean? Do you mean going Hypo? Your sugars should have dropped after four hours.

Have you tried not eating in the morning to see whether you are seeing both a rise for Dawn Phenomenon and also one for food?

It may be that you need short acting insulin to counter dawn phenomenon as well as your food.

hughsey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Short acting insulin, should work 90 minutes after injecting. And I know that after 4 hours the BS should be at a lower level. But it's sometimes after that 4 hours up to six hours later that am getting a hypo. Once I've had breakfast my sugars rise to 14-16. I've never heard of the saying dawn phenomenon

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Short acting insulin, should work 90 minutes after injecting. And I know that after 4 hours the BS should be at a lower level. But it's sometimes after that 4 hours up to six hours later that am getting a hypo. Once I've had breakfast my sugars rise to 14-16. I've never heard of the saying dawn phenomenon

Do you have any lipo problems, if this sharp rise in bg readings only happen in a morning then look for a alternative breakfast.

hughsey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My DN told me to change site, which I do, and change my needle every injection. I've been T1 for 22 yrs so there is a limited use now for injection sites. I do change my breakfast and sometimes don't eat.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My DN told me to change site, which I do, and change my needle every injection. I've been T1 for 22 yrs so there is a limited use now for injection sites. I do change my breakfast and sometimes don't eat.

What happens when you don't eat breakfast, do you still see bg levels in double figures?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
They do rise. If I just have a coffee.

Mine do too in the absence of food, it can be very frustrating.

It may well be your basal dose needs increasing or your just going to have to use a higher I:C ratio for a morning, I do think it would be a good idea to have a chat with your DSN and see if they can suggest anything.

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Based on your original post i would say that your not taking enough novorapid before your breakfast. A fasting blood sugar of 5 is normal.