Pro's & Con's

TonySleigh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery, Wine bars, snazzy restaurants,
I'm currently going through the changeover process for a pump, been a type 1 now for 42 years. I've been told it should be around April next year when I will be on one. Can you explain the pros and cons of a pump i.e. wearing one, control, showering/bathing etc as this is all new to me?

Hayley64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm currently going through the changeover process for a pump, been a type 1 now for 42 years. I've been told it should be around April next year when I will be on one. Can you explain the pros and cons of a pump i.e. wearing one, control, showering/bathing etc as this is all new to me?
Sorry I have no idea no clue about them but good luck

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @TonySleigh,

Do you know which pumps are being offered? The pro's are having the ability to adjust your basal rate for different times of the day, using TBR's (temporary basal rates) for times of illness/exercising, no more injections and the bolusing options that a pump provides, for example you can extend your bolus dose over several hours to deal with problematic meals like those that are high in fat. There's many more pro's and you'll find out yourself when you eventually change over.

The con's, I've not discovered many yet, probably when things go wrong such as when you have a occlusion/set failure would be one.

Reactions: 2 people

TonySleigh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @TonySleigh,

Do you know which pumps are being offered? The pro's are having the ability to adjust your basal rate for different times of the day, using TBR's (temporary basal rates) for times of illness/exercising, no more injections and the bolusing options that a pump provides, for example you can extend your bolus dose over several hours to deal with problematic meals like those that are high in fat. There's many more pro's and you'll find out yourself when you eventually change over.

The con's, I've not discovered many yet, probably when things go wrong such as when you have a occlusion/set failure would be one.
Thank you for the reply..Im
Hi @TonySleigh,

I'm still at the early stages at the moment. Met up with the dietician today, got several other meetings to go yet, i presume i will be given a choice of pump during this time.
Your reply was most helpful...many thanks.

Reactions: 2 people

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tony, I've been IDD since 1971. I moved to a pump 3.5 yrs ago and its the best move I made (other than getting a CGM) since I was diagnosed.

High level summary - you soon get used to having something attached to you, it takes a few months, but then it becomes part of you. Also during those first few months it takes a bit of effort to get your levels sorted 24/7 but its worth it.

Cons: first few months can be awkward.
Pros: much better control and you soon get over the Cons.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 4 people

TonySleigh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tony, I've been IDD since 1971. I moved to a pump 3.5 yrs ago and its the best move I made (other than getting a CGM) since I was diagnosed.

High level summary - you soon get used to having something attached to you, it takes a few months, but then it becomes part of you. Also during those first few months it takes a bit of effort to get your levels sorted 24/7 but its worth it.

Cons: first few months can be awkward.
Pros: much better control and you soon get over the Cons.

Hope this helps.
That's great thanks Chas. It seems that most people are positive about pumps. Looking forward to getting mine.

Louise M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The misinformation out there about diabetes and misunderstanding of difference between Type1 and 2 .
Can I ask you a couple of questions. I have type1 since 1975. I have been given dates to start pump beginning of November. Done the Dafne about 5 years ago , have seen dietician a couple of times now but I'm really concerned about change and how much time / effort this will take ? Is it very time consuming ? I work 9am - 4pm mon-fri. how do you sleep with it attached ? Any suggestions of info I should read would be very helpful, Thanks in advance

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Louise M, I started on a pump a week ago. Although my route to getting it wasn't the NHS, it's actually not that hard.

If you read Pumping Insulin it gives lots of good info.

I jumped straight in going to a party and getting to bed at 2 am on the day I started and have done four training sessions plus work this week.

If you are used to managing your diabetes and testing, in a way that some might consider obsessive, then it's straightforward. Observe, document, identify and adjust are the four phases I would describe.

Louise M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The misinformation out there about diabetes and misunderstanding of difference between Type1 and 2 .
Thanks Tim , will have a read. And yes im well used to checking recording and adjusting . Just nervous , after injecting for 40 years seems like a big change. Good to hear so many positive reviews

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Started on the pump just over 2 months because of night time lows, after 48 years of MDI i was apprehensive to say the least, I didn't like the idea of being attatched 24/7, it's more work than MDI but I have found my blood sugars more stable 84% of tests in the 4 to 8 range with the others only just outside the range , as for work I drop the basal rate when I'm doing a strenuous job such as skimming ceilings or walls but tend to leave it alone if doing a less physical job, as for being attatched 24/7 it doesn't really bother me, I've had a couple of bad sets and found that if they hurt going in or it hurts when you bolus change it, good luck.

Louise M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes