Type 1 CGMS

hughsey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was looking at some of the CGMS on the market. I lead a very hectic work life, and try the same in life. I at least check my BS 5 -10 times a day. I try my hardest to keep my sugars in range 5 -10. But sometimes find it has its own agenda. I was seeing if anyone uses just a CGM and if they self fund or get help in the funding. I think getting a CGM would make my life easier to control,

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just mentioned it in another thread, but I have the Dexcom G5 and it's absolutely amazing.

It's perfect during the workday as the readings go directly to my phone. It also saved me last night after the alarm went off for a moderately severe hypo.

As far as funding: my insurance covered a great deal of it. I paid $280usd for the full kit including 8 sensors and 2 transmitters. The sensors are good for 1-2 weeks (some people claim they last much longer), and the transmitters last 3 months (or that's the rumor I've heard on this forum).

hughsey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds good. I don't think ourselves in the UK have get there heads around funding or insurance. We're a bit behind the times. Everything has to have a cost, and people's life shouldn't be like that. If I put the hard work in, then I should be rewarded.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just a heads up you wont get funded Dex just because it will make life easier - most people who arent hypo aware cant get it funded unfortunately

hughsey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's it. Everyone should have the chance to receive everything that's available.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
In the UK, a) we don't have the G5 yet and b) it's going to have a start up cost of around £1000-£1200 because it isn't available on the NHS and you have to pay for it yourself.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In the UK, a) we don't have the G5 yet and b) it's going to have a start up cost of around £1000-£1200 because it isn't available on the NHS and you have to pay for it yourself.

Have you got any reasoning behind that figure Tim?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have you got any reasoning behind that figure Tim?
Yes. That's the current cost of getting going on a standalone Dexcom G4 and I'd be massively surprised, given what I've seen from the states, if there was a huge reduction in the transmitter costs as the G4 transmitter was only ever guaranteed for 6 months and the G5 transmitters are limited to three months apiece.

All of the Dexcom website data for the UK also states that the starter pack for G5 comes with a receiver (not that they are going to allow you to buy the transmitters separately) and that's a huge part of the start up cost.

Obviously we'll have to see what comes out from Advanced Therapeutics, but that's my reasoning.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm going to hedge my bets and think that its going to be lower, though I could be wrong :(