honeymoon period on metformin?

jocat44

Hi all,
I have heard about some Type 1 diabetics who experience a honeymoon period when they first start on insulin ie. it appears to kick start the production of some insulin hence they need to inject less. I was wondering can a similar thing happen when started on metformin,
Thanks
Jo

Eliminator

Dislikes
People who talk ***** and tell lies.
Hi Jo,

as far as I am aware the answer is NO. Metformin helps your body take in the insulin your body already produces itslef. (assuming your not on insulin yet).

The honeymoon period is when you start insulin it can take up to 12 months for your body to stop making it's own insulin in type1 so bloods can be up and down a lot in this period.

Or so I am lead to belive.

Hope this helps.

cjohnson

Dislikes
Spiders and other similar creepy crawlies
Hi

I was wondering about that too as have been on metformin for a year and then all of a sudden over the last few weeks bs levels have gone up to same levels as when diagnosed before metformin kicked in, consequently hb1ac went up last time. I have increased to 3 x 500 from 2 x but it doesn't seem to be making any difference. Started extra tab 2 weeks ago so maybe there is a time lag before it will kick in. Seeing DN in couple of weeks so will ask whether there is a honeymoon period - hope not!

Chris :D