Metformin!!!

kerrysmithies

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just started taking Metformin and as advised started with only one 500g per day for four days and then two for another four and then only three, I'm into my second day of taking two a day and god do I feel ill. I was I thought fit and well before diagnosis and now I'm tired my stomach and bowels are not good, I feel sick all the time. I've totally changed my diet and lost eight pound in my first week but feel so ill which I assume if the medication. Do I persevere with it? Ha anyone else felt like this when first starting them?? On the plus side my levels have lowered. Thanks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most people who take Metformin seem to report stomach troubles unless they are on the SR (slow release) version which seems to help. If you have not got the slow release version then see your HCP and explain your problem. If you are already on the SR version see your HCP and decide whether you wish to continue feeling ill.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with Squire. If the problem persists even with the SR version then probably worth stopping (discuss with GP) as Metformin doesn't have a big effect on blood sugar; diet is the key.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Most people who take Metformin seem to report stomach troubles unless they are on the SR (slow release) version which seems to help. If you have not got the slow release version then see your HCP and explain your problem. If you are already on the SR version see your HCP and decide whether you wish to continue feeling ill.
The research evidence on metformin says 25-50% of people get bad side effects, so it's not the case that most people report side effects. We see a slightly skewed view on the forums, where those with side effects report them, while the majority who don't get side effects either don't join the forum or don't talk about their metformin use.

I agree with discussing with a HCP using SR or stopping the drug, if the side effects are bad. Some people just can't take metformin and there is no point suffering through it.

Pamcowling

I am having exactly the same trouble. I feel absolutely shattered the whole time. I took the day off work last Friday and slept for 2 hours after I dropped the kids at school! I can't remember ever doung that. Am also feeling a bit low and not coping with my hectic lifestyle at the moment. I wonder whether the added worry about what i can eat and what's happening to my health has tipped me over the edge.
Am glad you mentioned your symptoms. Thank you.

Pamcowling

I feel sick all the time too, which is making me crave carbs. Have been giving in to the cravings far too much this week too. In fact, all I want to eat is marmite on toast and biscuits! Am hoping the sick feeling stops?

kerrysmithies

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am feeling better the sickness has subsided however my bowels still not 100% and like you Pam I'm craving carbs. I'm still feeling tired but it is getting better, I have an appointment on Friday with my doctor so will discuss with her then X My levels are lower which is important so might persevere a little longer!

colcot

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Bad manners, bad drivers, being diabetic, not being thin.
Just started taking Metformin and as advised started with only one 500g per day for four days and then two for another four and then only three, I'm into my second day of taking two a day and god do I feel ill. I was I thought fit and well before diagnosis and now I'm tired my stomach and bowels are not good, I feel sick all the time. I've totally changed my diet and lost eight pound in my first week but feel so ill which I assume if the medication. Do I persevere with it? Ha anyone else felt like this when first starting them?? On the plus side my levels have lowered. Thanks
Hi, I have just recently stopped taking them after 5 years of hell, I immediately felt like a different person. Some people get use to them and some never do.

covey63

Dear Kerry - was diagnosed 2 years ago and had exactly the same trouble as you but working with both my Doctor and diabetic nurse over the course of the first few months really helped. You think nothing is getting better, but its trial and error as to what will work for you and the doctor will get you to try things for a couple of weeks or a month and if that doesn't work they'll try another way until you all find the right balance and before long 6 months has passed. I also suffered really bad No.2 toilet troubles as well. I couldn't go anywhere without knowing where toilets were on route - and it became the joke to my hubby and kids - but actually because we could laugh about it has helped us all as a family cope with my diabetes. I now also have to keep a 'clean' bag in the boot of my car [another joke] at all times as I have been cut short driving from work to home and have had to change. I was moved from the normal 500g metformin to the slow release tablets and I have tried taking 2 x tablets in the morning, then just before bed so my toilet problem would be dealt with at home - this didn't work. It was when we decided to go on holiday and we were limited to flying hours because of the toilet scenario that my doctor suggested going to one tablet a day which should reduce some of my problems so started this course a month before we went on holiday and this has worked - the doctors wanted to put me back to 2 x tablets after the holiday but I refused and I'm pleased I did because it works out my stomach can't handle the tablets so by having 1 tablet a day is right for my body. In the two years my metformin has increased to 1 x 1000g tablet and still suffer with my stomach problems but not to the extent I did in the beginning and so much more manageable. I found that I now listen to my own body as it seems to let you know if it doesn't like something or not. Good luck and it will get better its just about getting the right balance

ChilliGal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It took me over a year to realise that Metformin made me really, really sick. I was tired all the time, kept rushing 'urgently' to the loo and kept coming over sick. As soon as the penny dropped I stopped the Metformin and felt like me again. The nurse tried me on SR but no dice. As the others say - just keep an eye on the 'symptoms' and don't put up with for too long.

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
I have been taking the regular metformin for 5 years. Now on 4 x 500g per day; never had a problem!

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just started taking Metformin and as advised started with only one 500g per day for four days and then two for another four and then only three, I'm into my second day of taking two a day and god do I feel ill. I was I thought fit and well before diagnosis and now I'm tired my stomach and bowels are not good, I feel sick all the time. I've totally changed my diet and lost eight pound in my first week but feel so ill which I assume if the medication. Do I persevere with it? Has anyone else felt like this when first starting them?? On the plus side my levels have lowered. Thanks
I am supposed to be on 4 x 500g slow release metformin. I got nauseous and diarrhea so bad I got piles. I cut it back to 3 but still have tummy upset and toilet problems but the piles have almost healed. I cannot get my fasting blood sugar levels below 12 but that is better than 26. My father in law says his doctor wont subscribe metformin to anyone, and he is managing quite well. this last year has been hell. If you can, get off metformin.

merdrignac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with type two about fourteen years ago. At first I controlled by diet but gradually got worse. I was put onto Metformin and immediately started to feel rough, with loose bowels and wind. As time went on my dose was increased and gliclazide was added. I felt so bad I went to see my doctor to request the slow release version of metformin. Things got better but not much. I was then prescribed Codeine to stop the diarrhea but had to stop it every few months so as not to become addicted. A couple more years went passed with things not getting much better and not achieving good blood sugar levels. Then, just before last Christmas, I contracted a stomach bug which turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I lost half a stone in two weeks and my blood sugars plummeted. As I recovered I decided that this was a good state of affairs, so I carried on with the restricted diet I had been forced into through my illness. I stopped eating bread, potatoes and other carb rich foods and continued to loose weight. I had stopped taking the metformin,(after consulting the doctor) and felt full of energy and well for the first time in years. For some people Metformin is great. Those lucky few seem to suffer no or mild side affects, but for many others it makes life hell. My advise would be go low carb, diet, exercise and try to free yourself from the burden of this medicine, with the doctors support of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I am supposed to be on 4 x 500g slow release metformin. I got nauseous and diarrhea so bad I got piles. I cut it back to 3 but still have tummy upset and toilet problems but the piles have almost healed. I cannot get my fasting blood sugar levels below 12 but that is better than 26. My father in law says his doctor wont subscribe metformin to anyone, and he is managing quite well. this last year has been hell. If you can, get off metformin.
Metformin helps a bit, but it won't be able to reduce BGs from the teens into single figures; you'd need to reduce your carb intake for that, or ask your GP for other meds or for tests to rule out late onset T1.

Abbiedogs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've read this thread with interest, as I'm having problems too. My first HBa1cthingy came back well within the non diabetic range in August, after being really careful with diet and exercise, and losing two stones. However, I'd felt really unwell the whole time - when diagnosed in May I had no symtoms at all, I'd gone for a routine underactive thyroid test. I stopped the Simvastatin because of side effects, and wanted to come off Metformin because I was so unwell all the time, and try diet and exercise. The DN told me I had to be on Metformin for life and put me on Glucophage, 500g per day. I still have all the side effects and still feel worse than before starting this medication. My levels on testing remain well within the non diabetic range. I've nearly run out and twice have requested the prescription from the pharmacy to be told the surgery haven't released it, so am tempted to just stop now (I don't see the DN for another month after the HBthingy).

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've read this thread with interest, as I'm having problems too. My first HBa1cthingy came back well within the non diabetic range in August, after being really careful with diet and exercise, and losing two stones. However, I'd felt really unwell the whole time - when diagnosed in May I had no symtoms at all, I'd gone for a routine underactive thyroid test. I stopped the Simvastatin because of side effects, and wanted to come off Metformin because I was so unwell all the time, and try diet and exercise. The DN told me I had to be on Metformin for life and put me on Glucophage, 500g per day. I still have all the side effects and still feel worse than before starting this medication. My levels on testing remain well within the non diabetic range. I've nearly run out and twice have requested the prescription from the pharmacy to be told the surgery haven't released it, so am tempted to just stop now (I don't see the DN for another month after the HBthingy).
The DN is wrong, no one has to be "on metformin for life". The decision to take meds or not is yours, not theirs. They can advise you, and either prescribe, or record your decision. It's a good idea to discuss it or at least inform them before stopping any med.

Reactions: 4 people