Test Strip Post code Lottery

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
I rang my GP for a repeat prescription yesterday, I aksed for test strips ( I last had some at the beginning of July, I am type 2 on metformin 1 x 500mg). I was advsied that I can only have a pack of 50 strips once every 5 months !
does anyone have a link to NICE guidelines on type 2's testing please ? I am planning to see my GP and challenge this decision but would like a bit of evidence to back me up.

Bernie :cry:

Eliminator

Dislikes
People who talk ***** and tell lies.
Not sure on the NICE info, but you can buy test strips over the counter if thats any help.

haptagud

Here is the link for the NICE T2 guidelines. Though after reading through the guidelines the recommendations are very open to PCT interpretation.

"Assess at least annually and in a structured way:
- self-monitoring skills
- the quality and appropriate frequency of testing
- the use made of the results obtained
- the impact on quality of life
- the continued benefit
- the equipment used."

http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG66/Guidance/pdf/English

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
bernie.freeman said:
I rang my GP for a repeat prescription yesterday, I aksed for test strips ( I last had some at the beginning of July, I am type 2 on metformin 1 x 500mg). I was advsied that I can only have a pack of 50 strips once every 5 months !
does anyone have a link to NICE guidelines on type 2's testing please ? I am planning to see my GP and challenge this decision but would like a bit of evidence to back me up.

Bernie. (and haptagud)

Been away for a week and spotted this when I got back.

The links to the latest T2 NICE guidelines (CG87) are here.
http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG ... deline.pdf

An extract:
1.4 Self-monitoring of plasma glucose
1.4.1 Offer self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education. Discuss its purpose and agree how it should be interpreted and acted upon.
1.4.2 Self-monitoring of plasma glucose should be available:
• to those on insulin treatment
• to those on oral glucose-lowering medications to provide information on hypoglycaemia
• to assess changes in glucose control resulting from medications and lifestyle changes
• to monitor changes during intercurrent illness
• to ensure safety during activities, including driving.
1.4.3 Assess at least annually and in a structured way:
• self-monitoring skills
• the quality and appropriate frequency of testing
• the use made of the results obtained
• the impact on quality of life
NICE clinical guideline 87 – type 2 diabetes 13
• the continued benefit
• the equipment used.
1.4.4 If self-monitoring is appropriate but blood glucose monitoring is unacceptable to the individual, discuss the use of urine glucose monitoring.

These are the latest 2009 ones. The ones previously posted on here are from 2008 and are out of date so check these before you go quoting them to your GP. That way you won't have 'egg' on your face !! :D

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Thank you all for your replies.
Bernie :wink:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
lorrie1973 said:
Try another doctor I get 50 strips every 3 months

Hi lorrie1973.

I think YOU should get another Dr.....I get 100 strips every 28 days and more if I want !!! :D

haptagud

Apologies for presenting the out-off date guidelines. Though to be fair the NICE recommendations on self-testing is still very open to interpretation.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It's not down to individual doctors. The PCTs have policies.
Mine has admitted publicly that, unsurprisingly, fewer than half its diabetic patients can hit HbA1cs of 7.5% or less. They limit us to 2 or maybe 3 packs of 50 per year. I've given up and buy them
Hana

wallycorker

bernie.freeman said:

Hi Bernie,

I have posted a petition on the 10 Downing Street website regarding the advice given by the health authorities particularly to Type 2 diabetics relating to testing and recommendations to "eat plenty of starchy cabohydrate".

The petition can be found via the link below:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Diabetes-Advice/

If you haven't already supported my petition may I ask for your support now plese. Hope that some others who may consider supporting my petition.

Best Wishes - John

chrissieworne

Hi all, i can have them but as long as i "don't take the mickey" whatever that means :x the gp says i should test no more than x2 daily, :) the dn says x2 a week :? and the idiot woman on the desmond course said not at all................................... :evil:

I vary to be honest. I have a breeze monitor with the circular discs of 10 strips and only get 10 discs in a box, haven't been refused repeats so far but will wait to see.

Can have unlimited urine strips, interestingly, i have NEVER seen any result on those regardless of food eaten or time of day other than normal, even when my bg monitor hs shown high bg so is there much benefit in those i wonder :?:

Chrissie

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Urine strips will only show sugar if your bg is constantly above about 12 mmol/L .Therefore ,if you have good control ,you will not get a reading on them.

Edwardia

My GP's policy is no more than 50 strips per month unless he has asked me to monitor closely for a particular reason eg major dietary/drug change. You have to balance out the value of the info the test gives you,with the pain and potential damage to your fingers.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Pain and potential damage to your fingers....?

I test up to 8 or more times a day and I use three fingers on my left hand. I have done this for a very long time and have no pain or damage to my fingers. It's a finger prick, nothing more. :D

Edwardia

I've been diagnosed T2just over two years. I use Owen Mumford Unistik 3 Normal 23G(0.66mm)lancets with 1.8mm depth as a less painful alternative to the lancet pen thing which came with my AccuChek Aviva Nano. It still hurts :( Several nurses have told me not to use a lancet on my actual fingertips or around the sides of my nails.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
I use the Accu-Chek multiclix lancet which has 0.3mm, 30g lancets. The lancet is only supposed to pierce the skin by a very small amount. Nowhere near 1.8mm, :shock: No wonder it is painful.
You should go back and use the multclix which you should have with the Nano. It can be adjusted to a very small depth which is why none of my finger pricks are painful. ? I take it you are just using the lancet and not in any device ?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
OK....you're a wimp. :lol:

desperate_dave

Funnily enough, I phoned the chemist this morning to order a repeat prescription of my regular meds and added "Also I need some more test strips for my Blood Glucose Monitor". This is the first time I've tried ordering them through the chemist. I was half-expecting her to tell me I'd have to see my GP for more test strips (the last time I got them was in May) but amazingly enough she just said, "Is your machine still the Prestige?" To which I told her it was and she just said "That's fine, do you need anything else?"

"No, thank you."

According to my practice nurse I should only test my Blood Glucose ONCE a week and BEFORE breakfast, which means, according to her reckoning, a batch of 50 test strips should last me almost a year. I don't agree. To test my BG once a week is totally absurd and, in my opinion, pointless. Mind you, I did read of a guy on these forums whose nurse told him to test his BG ONCE A MONTH!! Geez, I can't believe how stingey some of these nurses are with the test strips.

At the moment I'm testing my BG on average 4 - 6 times a day and will continue to do so until I'm satisfied I've got this diabetes and my diet completely under control.

Dave