Type 1 Injections preferred to pump

steveo4

I am a type one diabetic who was on a pump for 5 years. Earlier this year I decided to come off the pump and go back to injections the reason being I was fed up being attached to the pump all the time. Has anyone else had a similar experience ?

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
I'm sure you've made a good move.

Reverse reverse-Luddism now!

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a type one diabetic who was on a pump for 5 years. Earlier this year I decided to come off the pump and go back to injections the reason being I was fed up being attached to the pump all the time. Has anyone else had a similar experience ?
I'm recently diagnosed, but a friend of mine felt the same way as you. He did say his levels were always best when he was on the pump, but he also started to develop scar tissue.

I'm still in the honeymoon phase so we'll see if I can continue to manage my levels with insulin pens, but I also feel the same way. I don't like the idea of adding extra hardware to my body. Especially if I don't have to.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
whatever works for you, if you can maintain effective control with MDI that's the main point

steveo4

I wouldn't say my control is great but would rather do injections rather than being attached to the pump all the time. I would like to try the omnipod but it is not available at my hospital

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yep.. Returned to MDI after 5 years.
Love the freedom and my levels are just as good thanks to the advice of members here......
I got told by my consultant that she has not had any patient come off a pump and restart it again.
Just something about the freedom off pump that I appreciate more now than I ever did before on MDI.

I loved my pump(s). I loved the Accuchek people and my superb hospital teams.

I still love them all. I still keep in contact with Accuchek but I will not be going back to a pump again. I love being free of tubes, dipping into baths without thought, and my hubby not worrying wear my tube or sets are.
Unless I put a lot of fat and extra weight on then cannulas will not work properly in my lean, muscular body.... This is why I came off pump. I am not prepared to have to carry the equivalent of 10 bags of sugar in or on my body to make pump work better.

Reactions: 2 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
since I stopped smoking and being off work for 2 month ( none related Diabetic problem) I have a few extra poundage that will keep me on a pump when I get the bugga hahaha