Hello everyone

LeeLou

I have been diagnosed as type 2 just over a month ago and what a period of panic and cunfusion it has been! I am glad I've stumbled across this website (after many a frantic google search, I might add :) ) and I hope to learn a bit more about this condition and how to control it. My doc gave me a prescription for 500mg of Glucophage (same as metformin, i think) in the evening. I expected a bit more info. from him, but alas!

For now, I'm off to browse a bit and will probably post a few questions soon.

LeeLou

peecee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi from rainy south wales :)

Reetpetite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Crowds, traffic jams, pollution, housework
Hi Leelou,

Welcome to the forum - I'm still a relative newbie to diabetes myself. I was diagnosed at end of May but found this site early on and have managed to get my bs numbers under relatively good control with the help of the people here.

It is all very confusing when you are first diagnosed and I still have a great deal to learn but as I said with the help of people here and the advice they give and knowledge they have I think I am doing reasonably OK - so have a good look round the forums and ask anything you want to - even if it sounds silly.

best wishes

Rita

helenb

Dislikes
Bad service in shops and ****** drivers (and 4X4s that have never seen the countryside!).
Hi Leelou, I was diagnosed a month ago today! Any I know what you mean about the panic and confusion too. My doctor also has given me virtually no info but at the mo I not on any meds for my type 2.

Are you testing your BG levels and if so have you got them under control now?

Good luck, I've found lots of really helpful stuff on the forum so you've come to the right place :D

wallycorker

LeeLou said:
I have been diagnosed as type 2 just over a month ago and what a period of panic and cunfusion it has been! I am glad I've stumbled across this website (after many a frantic google search, I might add :) ) and I hope to learn a bit more about this condition and how to control it. My doc gave me a prescription for 500mg of Glucophage (same as metformin, i think) in the evening. I expected a bit more info. from him, but alas!

For now, I'm off to browse a bit and will probably post a few questions soon.

LeeLou
Hi LeeLou,

I was diagnosed with Type 2 nearly nine years ago and I'm free from any complications that I'm aware of. Recently, I reversed my condition through changing what I eat and my blood glucose levels are now largely in the normal range.

You need to keep well clear of diabetic complications by maintaining good control of your blood glucose levels. I advise caution with regard to the amount of carbohydrate that you eat. Also, that you ought to start testing to understand what makes your blood glucose readings go high.

I'd be very happy to answer any questions that you might have about what I have achieved.

Best Wishes - John

LeeLou

Thanks for the warm welcome all :)

I am testing my levels. I was advised to do a fasting (before breakfast) every second day and the other day, to test 2hrs after a meal. So, alternating fasting and non- fasting. Is this ok, though?

wallycorker

LeeLou said:
Thanks for the warm welcome all :)

I am testing my levels. I was advised to do a fasting (before breakfast) every second day and the other day, to test 2hrs after a meal. So, alternating fasting and non- fasting. Is this ok, though?
It gives you some measure. Anything is much better than nothing!

The before breakfast fasting test tells me quite a lot about my general level of control. I look for less than 6 but people say that less than 7 is OK.

Once I got things in control I then started testing one hour after finishing eating - in general, I am now able to keep that level below 8.

salsasue

Hi LeeLou!

Welcome to the forum and you couldn't have come to a better place for advice, support and great friendly people! :) :p I'm a relative newbie also having been diagnosed start of May this year and, as with others above, have managed to get blood sugar levels to a reasonably controlled, good level plus have dropped some 2 stone or so, feel much better for it i can tell you.

I sure do understand the sense of panic, shock, confusion etc and sorry to hear your doctor wasn't exactly the 'fount of all knowledge' for you! :( Please feel free to have a good look and read round the forum/website plus there's a great recipe archive should you be stuck for some great cooking ideas/inspiration also!

all the best, Salsasue