Hi I'm new here

chrissie l

Hi, my name is Chris, & iv'e recently been diagnosed with type 2. I guess this has been caused by years of being overweight & doing nothing about it!! I don't need medication (yet) & would prefer to stay that way. Anyone any ideas how I can motivate myself to loose weight & exercise?? :D

wakeupcall

Hi Chrissie

I know it's easier said than done, but my advice is do something about it straight away, I have done nothing since diagnosed in 2006 and now I am on medication, which is what i did not want to happen. I thought I could carry on drinking and eating rubbish, but it's caught up with me.

it's not too late for you to turn things around, I sincerely hope you do

Best of Luck

salsasue

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum! :) Please feel free to look and read around on the website and forum, the best thing is to check at the website recipe archive (also a section with recipes in the forum) which is a good and helpful key with being and keeping inspired as to cooking and what you can eat, the best thing to avoid is to keep from getting bored with having the same old things - easier said than done I know when there are certain things you have to keep to a minimum limit! With some flexibility and adaptation though, it can be done I can assure you. :)

As to the exercise side, there's no way anyone needs to go frantic or crazy, just start easy with a twenty minute - half hour walk but it has to be just fast enough to make your heart work some, walking is I would say the best and easiest, not to mention cheapest (ie free) kind of exercise there is. Don't have to join a club/gym etc up front or any of that kind of stuff!

If you need a little 'light at the end of the tunnel' you may just be inspired to know that since being diagnosed start of May '09, have lost just over two and a half stone; sorry that it took a diagnosis and 'sharp kick up the butt' to give me a wake up call; to this date I've not been on any medication and am able to keep blood sugars within reasonably normal levels and in general, feel great and so much healthier and fitter for it too, at risk of sounding somewhat big-headed! :wink: :roll:

all the very best to you, Chris,

Salsasue

wallycorker

Hi Chris,

I'm a Type 2 like you and I've reversed my condition over the last twelve months quite simply by changing my diet. I still do hardly any exercise of any significance.

If you really do wish to keep away from medication, I suggest that you start testing and avoid the foods or change the quantity of things that make your blood glucose levels go high. The foods to be wary of are carbohydrates - cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice etc.

Best Wishes - John

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Chrissie,

I do not always agree with the advice the NHS give out, but the best advice I have had is that if you are told not to smoke because it may cause complications, you MAY get away with your old habits, if you are told not to drink because it may cause complications, you MAY get away with your old habits. So here comes the punch line - If you are told to manage your blood glucose, but you prefer to keep your old habits, you WILL NOT get away with it. Diabetes will get you in the end!!!.
Now there is your motivation!!!

Now dont let that frighten or depress you, because the evidence is growing that diabetes is not necessarily progressive and a diabetic with the will and motivation will avoid serious complications and ensure his/her longevity. I have been looking into enhanced pensions for diabetics and the pension funds are considering reviewing their approach to enhancements for diabetics, as lately, the diabetic fraternity are becoming educated in self preservation and beginning to blow huge holes in the "ten years off your life" approach and this has been picked up by the medics who advise the funds!!.

So get motivated and live a full life!!...

Steve.