Freestyle Libre Poll - Have you had a skin reaction ?

Freestyle Libre - Have you had a skin reaction ?

• Total voters

landyboy

I've had the same problem with reactions. Had the first sensor last October and didn't have a problem until sensor number 5. This year I've not managed longer than 4 days without the skin blistering and sensor coming off. My arm is still marked from the last one in April.

I have also been told positively that the glue hasn't changed but have had 3 others from the service team telling me it has changed!

A great system when it works but four days at £50 is a no go for me.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No reaction to libre,though I have only used it every couple of months.
Would be interesting (but too expensive) to try it on my stomach because I have had reactions from both CGM and pump adhesives there.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been using it since November, with very few gaps between sensors and have never found a problem. It must be so frustrating for those of you that can't use it properly now :-(

eileenk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
A thread to try and get an idea of how many people have had a skin reaction caused by the Abbott Freestyle Libre Sensor.
Yes, I've had a reaction with sensors. First 2 were fine but last 2 left sore raised blistered looking skin. Now on sensor number 5. This time I sprayed Cavilon skin preparation on before applying sensor. So far so good but will post again when I get to the end of this sensor's life.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't have any issues for first 5 or 6 sensors. Last three have caused a reaction.

Currently taking some antihistamines to see if that quietens it down a little.

Reactions: deborabaratto

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just pulled most recent sensor off and I can say that while antihistamines did seem to have some minor effect all it seems to have done is reduced the severity of the reaction. Going to hold off on the next sensor for now.

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just removed my sensor to find this...
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1439568751.761001.jpg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Removed 8th sensor on 15th August and saw a reaction very similar to one photographed by asyarik. No reaction to sensors 1 - 6 but slight reaction seen after removing sensor 7. Doctor advised treating slight reaction with 1% hydrocortisone cream; it is improving. Intend to investigate use of Compeed plasters and/or Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film as ways of preventing or minimising the skin reaction. Have found Freestyle Libre glucose monitoring system helpful in lowering my HbA1c and don't want to have to give up using it because of the sensors' irritant adhesive.

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Just taken off my 6th sensor after 2 weeks of insane itching - now I know why! Skin is read raw. The sensor prior to this one left a red mark but this one is actually raw and bleeding. I have bought some of the spray recommended on this thread and have used that before setting up the new one. If this doesn't work I may have to stop using them which is not the result I was hoping for!!
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1441039806.109041.jpg

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't replied as I've been using the sensors since they were first released in the UK, around 22 sensors, and Ive had two reactions. So is that yes or no?

I alternate arms to allow recovery, and move the sites around the back of my arm.

I think the reactions were something other than the glue as it's usually fine.

If I wanted to protect my skin I'd be tempted to look at Micropore which is a very sticky paper bandage.

And I've never had a reaction to that.

Eliott

Hi, just joined forum and voted. As in other cases, I has excellent results from the first 4 sensors - great accuracy and sensors stayed on just fine. 5th sensor left a little redness and some weeping. 6th left a bright red 2 pound coin size blister. Tried 7th but itching was unbearable after 2 days. The marks are still visible 2 months after last sensor was removed. Reported to Abbott and they replaced one sensor. I have not gone back to the sensors but learned a lot about my body responses to certain foods so am maintaining better glucose control than I was before the libre. I will try out some of the suggestions on this site so many thanks.

Reactions: 2 people

nurseryboss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, just joined forum and voted. As in other cases, I has excellent results from the first 4 sensors - great accuracy and sensors stayed on just fine. 5th sensor left a little redness and some weeping. 6th left a bright red 2 pound coin size blister. Tried 7th but itching was unbearable after 2 days. The marks are still visible 2 months after last sensor was removed. Reported to Abbott and they replaced one sensor. I have not gone back to the sensors but learned a lot about my body responses to certain foods so am maintaining better glucose control than I was before the libre. I will try out some of the suggestions on this site so many thanks.

I, too am having a break from sensors at the moment. I removed the last one 10 days ago, having suffered intense itching for the whole 2 weeks. The skin reaction was worse than ever. What a shame that such a beneficial product is adversely affecting about half of the users/customers. I haven't tried Compeed plasters yet as it could be a very costly mistake. I wish Abbott could resolve this to everyone's satisfaction. Does anyone know if Compeed plasters are thin enough for the sensor needle to pierce them or is there a better / finer plaster which would work more effectively?

Andy_P

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As the originator of this thread I had mixed success with Compeed and it is a gamble as to whether the sensor will go through the Compeed or not. I have not used the Libre for many months now which is a shame. I did recently complete the Team BG Diabetes Grand Tour cycling from Vienna to Stockholm. We were provided with Dexcom G4's which were superb. I am eagerly awaiting the release of the G5 in the Uk. It won't be cheap but I feel it has many advantages over the Libre.

nurseryboss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As the originator of this thread I had mixed success with Compeed and it is a gamble as to whether the sensor will go through the Compeed or not. I have not used the Libre for many months now which is a shame. I did recently complete the Team BG Diabetes Grand Tour cycling from Vienna to Stockholm. We were provided with Dexcom G4's which were superb. I am eagerly awaiting the release of the G5 in the Uk. It won't be cheap but I feel it has many advantages over the Libre.
Thanks Andy P, I will look out for this and hope it is an improvement on the Freestyle. Perhaps the price will come down as more people use it.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Used since launch almost a year ago? Now starting to react and barely get accurate readings anymore :-(

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Used since launch almost a year ago? Now starting to react and barely get accurate readings anymore :-(
Booooo that's not good. Try putting one on your upper thigh, my last 3 have lasted the full 2 weeks and have been the most accurate so far and the reaction is not as bad there

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Booooo that's not good. Try putting one on your upper thigh, my last 3 have lasted the full 2 weeks and have been the most accurate so far and the reaction is not as bad there
A few people have recommended that actually. I'll give it a go on the next one :)

iHs

Has no one tried using Skin safe (opus) as a spray or wipe? Get a free sample and try just to see.