Gentlemen's Problems

bigshow1271

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys, been a type 2 diabetic for 7 years and I take metformin, gliclazide and also use lixisenatide non-insulin injection. I have had "gentlemen's problems" on and off namely a sore and cracked foreskin due to thrush. I'm using the canestan cream from the doctor but it doesn't seem to work for long enough. I use it for a few days, whilst washing in the morning and evening, with the help of my wife and it clears up but after a few days it comes back even though I keep it clean. I'm a bit embarrassed to go back to my doctors, my last consultation was over the phone, as I feel dirty and unclean. My wife and I are in our 40's but still enjoy a good sex life but this is ruining it for me and her, and I don't want her to go and find it elsewhere.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated

Andy

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi guys, been a type 2 diabetic for 7 years and I take metformin, gliclazide and also use lixisenatide non-insulin injection. I have had "gentlemen's problems" on and off namely a sore and cracked foreskin due to thrush. I'm using the canestan cream from the doctor but it doesn't seem to work for long enough. I use it for a few days, whilst washing in the morning and evening, with the help of my wife and it clears up but after a few days it comes back even though I keep it clean. I'm a bit embarrassed to go back to my doctors, my last consultation was over the phone, as I feel dirty and unclean. My wife and I are in our 40's but still enjoy a good sex life but this is ruining it for me and her, and I don't want her to go and find it elsewhere.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated

Andy
Recurrent thrush is a known side effect of various non-insulin injections - not sure if this is one of those. I've had thrush in the past and it can be very painful and itchy and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I encourage you to see your doctor about it so you can get it treated and if necessary stop any meds that may be contributing to it.

What are your blood sugar levels like? High blood sugar tends to drive recurrent thrush. If you want suggestions for how to reduce blood sugar without necessarily using meds then we can help with that.

Reactions: 2 people

bigshow1271

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Recurrent thrush is a known side effect of various non-insulin injections - not sure if this is one of those. I've had thrush in the past and it can be very painful and itchy and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I encourage you to see your doctor about it so you can get it treated and if necessary stop any meds that may be contributing to it.

What are your blood sugar levels like? High blood sugar tends to drive recurrent thrush. If you want suggestions for how to reduce blood sugar without necessarily using meds then we can help with that.

My last HbA1c was 8.3 and to be honest the problem has got worse since I started taking the lixisenatide injections. I'll get the wife to make me an appointment on Monday

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
My last HbA1c was 8.3 and to be honest the problem has got worse since I started taking the lixisenatide injections. I'll get the wife to make me an appointment on Monday
Sounds like a good idea. Might also be helpful to ask the doctor about meds to reduce your blood glucose. What sort of foods do you eat in a typical day?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
8.3 is rather high. Time to rethink your diet for the sake of your little man if not for yourself

bigshow1271

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like a good idea. Might also be helpful to ask the doctor about meds to reduce your blood glucose. What sort of foods do you eat in a typical day?

Well I already take 2500mg of Metformin, 240mg of Gliclazide plus 20mcg of Lixisenatide. The thing with food is no-one has ever sat me down and said, "Right, what foods do you like so we can see what you are eating wrong or what we can change?". All my info has been from the internet and still none the wiser. I was brought up enjoying my food, which I think is my downfall really, but in recent years I have cut down a hell of a lot on what food intake I have especially carbs. I don't like much salad which is a problem, I eat most veg and tend to have more veg than potatoes on a dinner and I've cut out a lot of the junk food I used to eat.

A typical day for me is a bowl of Bran Flakes for breakfast, a sandwich at dinner then a cooked meal with veggies at tea-time

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well I already take 2500mg of Metformin, 240mg of Gliclazide plus 20mcg of Lixisenatide. The thing with food is no-one has ever sat me down and said, "Right, what foods do you like so we can see what you are eating wrong or what we can change?". All my info has been from the internet and still none the wiser. I was brought up enjoying my food, which I think is my downfall really, but in recent years I have cut down a hell of a lot on what food intake I have especially carbs. I don't like much salad which is a problem, I eat most veg and tend to have more veg than potatoes on a dinner and I've cut out a lot of the junk food I used to eat.

A typical day for me is a bowl of Bran Flakes for breakfast, a sandwich at dinner then a cooked meal with veggies at tea-time
Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of discussing what other meds might work better for you, and/or whether dosage increases would help too. You might be surprised what a difference it would make to lower your carbs further. A trial of this for a few weeks couldn't hurt, at this stage?

@daisy1 has info about diabetes management that may be of interest to you. You could try replacing your bran flakes with full fat greek natural yoghurt and berries, or bacon and eggs. You could look for a lower carb bread for your sandwich, such as Lidl protein rolls, or design a ploughman's lunch type plate with interesting meats, cheese, and veges that tempt you. For tea you could replace potatoes with more veges and meat. There are endless possibilities and lots of info around the forum that can give you ideas. Basically any taste or circumstances can be worked with as there are so many people with ideas here.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@bigshow1271

Hello Andy and welcome to the forum :) As has been suggested above, it would be advisable for you to lower your levels through your diet and carb intake. Here is the information we give to new members and this will give you a lot of advice on this. Ask more questions and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

andreaabbott1

Hello Andy I am not diabetic but my husband is, I have his bloods under control by low carb no potatoes and no bread
its not a massive change, also for the thrush try and eat some yogurt the ones with bio bits in them as thrush can also live in the bowls.
they do a tablet ask for the thrush tablet as this will clear up any thrush in your bowel and bladder and if you get athlete's foot

please from me a woman in her 40 , please dont get like my hubby we havent been able to have any bedroom after dark life for over 7 years because his high bloods have coursed nerve damage and the first thing to stop standing up straight was his man bit.

Statins over time can also course problems in that department but so can non insulin medications

bigshow1271

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of discussing what other meds might work better for you, and/or whether dosage increases would help too. You might be surprised what a difference it would make to lower your carbs further. A trial of this for a few weeks couldn't hurt, at this stage?

@daisy1 has info about diabetes management that may be of interest to you. You could try replacing your bran flakes with full fat greek natural yoghurt and berries, or bacon and eggs. You could look for a lower carb bread for your sandwich, such as Lidl protein rolls, or design a ploughman's lunch type plate with interesting meats, cheese, and veges that tempt you. For tea you could replace potatoes with more veges and meat. There are endless possibilities and lots of info around the forum that can give you ideas. Basically any taste or circumstances can be worked with as there are so many people with ideas here.

My biggest problem with meals is I'm a minibus driver who takes special needs and disabled kids to school so I'm out from 6:45am till 10:00am and then back out from 1:45pm till 5pm. So I tend to just grab something as a snack before I go to work as I don't have time to have something like bacon and eggs

A

Avocado Sevenfold

My biggest problem with meals is I'm a minibus driver who takes special needs and disabled kids to school so I'm out from 6:45am till 10:00am and then back out from 1:45pm till 5pm. So I tend to just grab something as a snack before I go to work as I don't have time to have something like bacon and eggs
It was persistent thrust that forced me to the doctor for a diabetes diagnosis so I can sympathise.

Waking up a few minutes earlier and choosing a more suitable breakfast was a tiny price to pay to be pain free.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
One other point to make, does your wife take medication at the same time as you for the thrush, she should as it can be passed back and forth between you both if she isn't.

Reactions: 8 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yoghurt and berries are quick. So is reheating a cooked breakfast made the night before. High BGs will do a lot of damage to your kidneys, eyes and legs.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hello Andy I am not diabetic but my husband is, I have his bloods under control by low carb no potatoes and no bread
its not a massive change, also for the thrush try and eat some yogurt the ones with bio bits in them as thrush can also live in the bowls.
they do a tablet ask for the thrush tablet as this will clear up any thrush in your bowel and bladder and if you get athlete's foot

please from me a woman in her 40 , please dont get like my hubby we havent been able to have any bedroom after dark life for over 7 years because his high bloods have coursed nerve damage and the first thing to stop standing up straight was his man bit.

Statins over time can also course problems in that department but so can non insulin medications
Genital thrush is not related to "candida overgrowth" in the gut, which is a condition that naturopaths often talk about, which has little, if any, scientific backing. When a person has obvious symptoms of intestinal candida overgrowth, then their doctor can prescribe meds for it. Yoghurt probably doesn't have much effect on this condition. Oral antifungals can treat genital thrush and may be more effective than creams, or can be used along with creams for more effectiveness.

In diabetics the most important part of treating thrush is reducing BG levels.

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi I to have this problem
my G.P. told me to wash every time I pee and use CLOTRIMAZOLE cream it does help but it not a cure. it will help heal the cracked skin but not the thrush you must wash. it's a bloody pest but it must be done.

his_lordship

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
**** advice
Hi Andy,
I'm new to posting replies so please bare with me. I was diagnosed T2 In November 2014 and had a similar problem as yourself. The GP was convinced that I had thrush which reoccurred all the time. However after pushing for more tests I was diagnosed with Balanitis Xerotica Obliterans. Quite a mouthful I know but its known as BXO for short. Google it and you'll find lots of reading on the symptoms and treatments for the condition. Have a chat with your GP, in the early stages it can be treated with a steroid cream but ultimately circumcision is the final solution.

Hope this helps.
PS I'm still using the cream.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Oooh reading this makes me wince

I too have had this problem and it due to high BM's

Creams and medication do help as does not washing showering with soap/shower gel, my GP said use only running water under a shower and NOTHING ELSE on your tinky winky

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oooh reading this makes me wince

I too have had this problem and it due to high BM's

Creams and medication do help as does not washing showering with soap/shower gel, my GP said use only running water under a shower and NOTHING ELSE on your tinky winky
It makes me wince too, and I don't even have a tinky winky, lol.

The advice to use water only and no soap is good advice - for women as well.

bigshow1271

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
morning guys, I have taken the 1st steps to a new me. Had some yoghurt and berries for my breakfast, just snacking on an apple as I'm writing this so small steps but in the right direction I hope. The one thing I can't get my head around is what to have for my dinner if I don't have a sandwich, tea is sorted boiled chicken with spring greens, but what to do for my dinner, any suggestions? And yes, I have been cleaning my little fellow at night and in a morning

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
morning guys, I have taken the 1st steps to a new me. Had some yoghurt and berries for my breakfast, just snacking on an apple as I'm writing this so small steps but in the right direction I hope. The one thing I can't get my head around is what to have for my dinner if I don't have a sandwich, tea is sorted boiled chicken with spring greens, but what to do for my dinner, any suggestions? And yes, I have been cleaning my little fellow at night and in a morning
Hi bigshow,how about fish curry with cauliflower " rice" or lambs liver and fennel, or chicken breast with cabbage.......fellow minibus driver clive