Can you suddenly get side effects after 6 months?

andreaabbott1

My husband has some form of neuropathy not sure which form as still waiting to see the neurologists.
He has been on Amitriptyline for almost 3 years but in the last 6months the dose has been increase to 10mg a night and he also takes 50mg of tramadol

the main side effects are that he spends 90% of 24 hours lousy and asleep
but the last 3 weeks he is saying when he wakes up in the morning it feels as if the room is spinning as if he is in something that turns but has the effect of a kaleidoscope.
surely after 6 months this isnt going to be a side effect of his medication

is there anyone else on these meds or anyone else with Neuropathy , I am wondering if its not a side effect but another form of nerve damage

iHs

I was once prescribed Tramadol for migrane type headaches but couldnt use it for long as it made me feel dizzy so stopped.

M

mrspuddleduck

Does he take both meds together? Both are known to cause drowsiness and potential dizziness and together are a hefty combination. I have neuropathy, and am also waiting for a meds review at neurologist appointment in December. At the moment I have Butrans patches and top them up with 1000/60 cocodamol when the pain gets too bad. I refused tramadol and amitriptyline because of its potential to cause drowsiness and that awful 'fuzzy' feeling. Sue x

andreaabbott1

Yes takes both of them at night , but the light head and strange vision are a recent thing,
it will be impossible to get a GP appointment until wednesday , which I will try and get because we still have not had his hospital appointments through and I think the GP needs to chase them up, but we do have a GP who will say I cant do that, but I know they can because my GP sent me straight to a consultant after making 1 phone call

Reactions: 2 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Obviously we can't diagnose because we aren't doctors but my first thought would be the combination of the two drugs. I know from experience that I would wake up with one hell of a hangover if I'd taken them! Try and get him to see the GP as soon as you can. Sue xxx

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
My husband has some form of neuropathy not sure which form as still waiting to see the neurologists.
He has been on Amitriptyline for almost 3 years but in the last 6months the dose has been increase to 10mg a night and he also takes 50mg of tramadol

the main side effects are that he spends 90% of 24 hours lousy and asleep
but the last 3 weeks he is saying when he wakes up in the morning it feels as if the room is spinning as if he is in something that turns but has the effect of a kaleidoscope.
surely after 6 months this isnt going to be a side effect of his medication

is there anyone else on these meds or anyone else with Neuropathy , I am wondering if its not a side effect but another form of nerve damage
I have a vague feeling the combo of amitrip an tramadol was mentioned in a thread recently and when I looked up the drugs there was an interaction (ie they shouldn't be taken together). Sorry I can't remember the details but if you want you can look them up on drugs.com . Best to discuss with doctor - even if it's nothing to do with meds, it could be due to inflammation in the inner ear or something else unrelated to diabetes. Could be due to high BGs. If it is, then it's another reason for him to consider whether he wants to reduce his BGs or not. I believe the only way he is going to consider making changes is by feeling the consequences of his decisions to overeat carbs.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Both those drugs together sent me totally off my head!!