Chocoholics Anonymous - Please post your (Diabetic friendly) chocolate suggestions here :)

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a chocolate lover (and with Christmas coming) this thread is for all of us that like our chocolate. It's also for those who have been recently diagnosed who don't know what they can potentially eat (chocolate wise) and to let members know what's actually out there on the market. If you have any chocolate based recipes please feel free to post them and share :)

This thread was created as a result of the "Hotel Chocolat" thread and the suggestion made by @Brunneria :D

So, I'm going to start with:

Aldi's Moser Roth Dark 70% Cocoa
(11g fat of which 6.5g saturates, 7.6 carbs of which 7.1g sugar and <0.01g of salt per 25g bar and 143 cals per bar. It comes with 5 individual 25g bars)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 11 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As a chocolate lover (and with Christmas coming) this thread is for all of us that like our chocolate. It's also for those who have been recently diagnosed that don't know what they can potentially eat (chocolate wise) and to let members know what's actually out there on the market. If you have any chocolate based recipes please feel free to post them and share :)

This thread was created as a result of the "Hotel Chocolat" thread and the suggestion made by @Brunneria :D

So, I'm going to start with:

Aldi's Moser Roth Dark 70% Cocoa
(11g fat of which 6.5g saturates, 7.6 carbs of which 7.1g sugar and <0.01g of salt per 25g bar and 143 cals per bar. It comes with 5 individual 25g bars)

Aldi's Moser Roth dark 85% cocoa.

Reactions: 6 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I like Aldi chocolate, but I LOVE peanut M&M's I get away with eating them all the time, nuts are good for us and there is only a miniscule amount of choccy on them they don't raise me at all but test to make sure

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice one! :D

I'm a fan of the Prue Leith Cookery School 70% cocoa solids bars from Asda.
One bar has nibs in, another has 'cherry overtones', and a third has 'pineapple undercurrents'... :wacky:

It is a pain for us to get to an Asda, so when we go I like to stock up.
Oh, and they often do special offers on 9bars!

Reactions: 2 people

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nice one! :D

I'm a fan of the Prue Leith Cookery School 70% cocoa solids bars from Asda.
One bar has nibs in, another has 'cherry overtones', and a third has 'pineapple undercurrents'... :wacky:

It is a pain for us to get to an Asda, so when we go I like to stock up.
Oh, and they often do special offers on 9bars!

9 Bars? That'll keep you going! ;)

MacFee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just been diagnosed so have no idea what I can and can't eat :( this thread is great ! X

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The Aldi Moser Roth 85% chocolate is really nice and good value for money, they are quite low in carbs too at 4g per bar (each pack has 5 individual bars).

There's another chocolate that is extremely tasty, it's sold in Lidl and the brand name is Ecuador, it has a 70% cocoa content and the one that has caramel in is the best, each square is 5g of carbs but the squares are quite big.

tuatara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Snickers bars. Slow carb, nuts, divine and no major effect on bs. Also chocolate raisins. Going to try the m&m choc peanuts. These are usually evening treats.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would love the link to the 'lemon pud' please. I do love chocloate but still have 56 pounds to lose - and once I start eating chocolate -it can be hard to stop!!

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Cavalier brand - fair trade, no sugars added, using stevia, erytritol only. Belgic chocolate. The 'dark mocha' one is best for my BG (as in practically no effect) - has cocoa mass, cocoa butter, natural vanilla flavour and coffee.

I prefer the milk chocolate (cocoa mass, cocoa butter, natural vanilla flavour, stevia sweetened) but I can't restrict myself to just one square, or 1/2 square grated - which I do with the dark mocha. It's more like two, three, or four squares. I don't know if it is worse for my BG but it feels like it is because I eat more of it. o_O:).

Biggest problem for me is getting to a store that stocks it (none of the supermarkets where I live stock a stevia sweetened chocolate so I have to go hunting and gathering to get it...)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would love the link to the 'lemon pud' please. I do love chocloate but still have 56 pounds to lose - and once I start eating chocolate -it can be hard to stop!!

http://lowcarbyum.com/lemon-crock-pot-cake/

I haven't tried it yet as I don't make sweet stuff as I don't have a sweet tooth, probably only 3-4 times a year, think that's why I prefer citrusy desserts to choccie ones! If you try it let me know how it goes :)

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks so much for this - it looks yummy - and when I've recovered from the chest infection - then I'll treat myself!!

Amy68

Lindt excellence 85% cocoa has only 15 g carbs per 40 g serving, dietary fiber 6 g (that's v good), 5 g sugars, 18 g fat, 5 g protein

B

badcat

1 bar 85% dark chocolate, melt it together with 1-2 tbs coconmut oil in a bowl over simmering water, remove from the heat, stir in 1-2 tbs green & black cocoa powder and 1 tbsp xylitol. Pour into 1 large or several small silicone moulds,reset in the fridge or freezer.

1Shirley1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diabetic type 2 since 2002 never really liked milk chocolate always plain so was not to difficult
to increase cocoa content I can now manage 1 square of Lindt Excellence 90% cocoa.
Other good plain chocolate is Lidl's J.D.Gross Ecuador 70% or 80% build it up gradually

Reactions: 4 people

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
1 bar 85% dark chocolate, melt it together with 1-2 tbs coconmut oil in a bowl over simmering water, remove from the heat, stir in 1-2 tbs green & black cocoa powder and 1 tbsp xylitol. Pour into 1 large or several small silicone moulds,reset in the fridge or freezer.

Mmmm, may need to try this one :)

PD Oz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course everyone is different, but I find the best time for a chocolate fix is around mid afternoon on the odd occasion, and usually on a week-end after plenty of exercise following lunch. Savour up to 4 squares of Lindt, dark 70% with almond nuts, Lindt soft milk (slightly more sugar content but not bad) or Lindt milk and hazelnut. I Never go for white chocolate. Sometimes after dinner for dessert any of the above chocolates are fine but a bit of after dinner exercise helps fend off an elevated fasting BGL the next morning.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Get yourself to Aldi or Lidl.Both being German companies with huge buying power on the continent their ranges of high cocoa chocolate are excellent.Certainly as good as the top brands ie Lindt.But much cheaper.
Definitely the nicest part of supermarket carb examination!! Lowest yet is Aldi's Moser Roth 85% cocoa at 4.6g carb per 25g bar.Each pack comes with 5 bars so 125g.
Lidl also have quite a few.Currently treating myself to their 81% Arriba Superieur branded as J.D.Gross.Really good and 6.0 g carbs per 25g.
Know I shouldn't but hey!!