Office worker

michellek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I am an office worker who virtually sits in front of a computer screen for approx. 8 hrs per day Mon - Thurs. Does anyone have any exercises I can do sitting at my desk :couchpotato:

Gary1205

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't help with exercises I am afraid but I am in similar position job wise albeit five days a week and a couple of things I now do is regardless of weather go out for a brisk walk for about 45 minutes every lunchtime and the other thing is as my office covers four floors, rather than phone or email a colleague if I need some information I will walk to them and see them so that I am not sitting still at my desk all day.

Reactions: 3 people

michellek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately I am only in a small office on the one floor and only get 30 mins for lunch - not much time to do too much - maybe try going out for 15 min walk, its better than nothing I suppose lol :rolleyes:

michellek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks folks - Cycling isn't an option unfortunately however going out for a 15min walk at lunchtime is a possibility - its better than sitting in front of a screen ;)

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How about doing 10-50 squats, lunges or (wall) pushups every time you go to the loo? Every little helps, and as these are bodyweight resistance exercises you get to build more muscle, which helps increase insulin sensitivity and reduce BG.

Reactions: 2 people

norfolkboy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Idiots.
I am recently diagnosed, and work a 6 on 4 off shift pattern of 2 mornings, 2 afternoons and 2 nights, and am office based.I have been cycling to work as much as possible, it's about 4 miles, or 4.5 miles if I come home a different way.4 days a week gives me 160 mins of cardiovascular workout.I also walk my daughters dog at least once a week, for about 45 mins or so.
My reason for excersise is weight loss, and am due at the clinic on Wednesday, and am hoping to see an improvement.
You really should do what you feel comfortable with, certainly not putting yourself under pressure.

BlooTwo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello, I am new to this forum, and also new to exercise! I am trying very hard to lose a significant amount of weight. Although I am now retired, I had a sedentary job for many years.
I got myself a FitBit which has been very illuminating, as I now know for sure how active (or otherwise) I have been each day. I really recommend it. I've found it very motivating, especially now I've learned that a friend has one too, so we 'challenge' each other occasionally, to heat things up.
As well as trying to get more steps in each day, I recently bought a vibration plate for home use. This means I can do a ten minute 'workout' which is quite easy, and is already proving effective in improving balance, flexibility and toning up muscles that had long since lost their reason to live!