BG rising by itself throughout the day??

AdamF

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

I was started on gliclazide (after 8 years on metformin) due to a sudden and dramatic increase in BG, around a week ago and although it took a while, it has started to make my levels come down a little (fasting down from 16 to 9 mmol/L).

If I take my morning dose with breakfast and then go off to the gym, I'm down to around 5 or 6 mmol/L after excercise. However by lunch time I'm up around 7 or 8 again and this is without eating anything. Any ideas, as I'm more than I little confused by this.

Adam

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @AdamF

Pain innit? Check this out.............

Hyperglycemia and sport

High blood sugar, hyperglycemia, can also occur during exercise, particularly after short bursts of strenuous activity.

Strenuous activity produces a stress response which sees the body producing glucagon to raise blood sugar levels to provide the muscles with energy in the form of glucose.

Full text here.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-sport-and-blood-sugar.html

Might go some way to explaining your problem although I don't know if it's the only reason.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi all

I was started on gliclazide (after 8 years on metformin) due to a sudden and dramatic increase in BG, around a week ago and although it took a while, it has started to make my levels come down a little (fasting down from 16 to 9 mmol/L).

If I take my morning dose with breakfast and then go off to the gym, I'm down to around 5 or 6 mmol/L after excercise. However by lunch time I'm up around 7 or 8 again and this is without eating anything. Any ideas, as I'm more than I little confused by this.

Adam
A sudden and dramatic increase in BG could be a sign of T1, or T1.5/LADA. Unless your BGs continue to come down well under 8.5, I'd go back to the doctor for testing.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do a lot of walking at a brisk pace and for myself anyway I have found if I dont have a snack after my walk my BS will rise so maybe try having a handful of peanuts after the gym and see if it helps.

AdamF

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A sudden and dramatic increase in BG could be a sign of T1, or T1.5/LADA. Unless your BGs continue to come down well under 8.5, I'd go back to the doctor for testing.

Sounds worrying!! I went to be bed night with a BG of 6.2 mmol/L and woke up this morning back up to 9 again. No gym today so I'll see if they rise from there or if the gliclazide will bring them back down.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Sounds worrying!! I went to be bed night with a BG of 6.2 mmol/L and woke up this morning back up to 9 again. No gym today so I'll see if they rise from there or if the gliclazide will bring them back down.
That sounds a bit better... if your BGs come down to 6.2 some of the time, then it could be T2 after all, and it's a waiting game to get your fasting BG down a bit. That test is usually the last one to come down.

What sort of foods do you eat in a typical day?

AdamF

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What sort of foods do you eat in a typical day?

Today will be pretty typical: 2 poached eggs for breakfast, chicken salad for lunch (grilled chicken with tomato, cucumber, onion, radish and lettuce) then dinner tonight is pork chops with cauliflower and broccoli. That's it!!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Today will be pretty typical: 2 poached eggs for breakfast, chicken salad for lunch (grilled chicken with tomato, cucumber, onion, radish and lettuce) then dinner tonight is pork chops with cauliflower and broccoli. That's it!!
That's very low carb, well done! It's interesting that you have had rising BG levels while eating so few carbs. There are tests you can get to see how well your pancreas is working, ie whether its level of insulin output is decreasing. Given your young age and low carbing, I would keep this possibility in the back of my mind. Gliclazide is not the worst drug you could be on, but if you have to keep increasing the dose to keep your head above water, while low carbing, it starts to look more and more like your insulin production could be decreasing.

There is a member who knows a lot more about this issue than I do. @Daibell, what are your thoughts on this?

AdamF

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Okay, well I started off with a BG of 9 this morning, it was 8.5 at lunchtime, 7.2 when I left work and 6.5 after walking the dog. Not as good as a gym day, but half the levels I was at last week.