Worried

MacFee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had plantar faciatis in my right foot for nearly 2 years and it's not healing very well and now I'm worried because we have been diagnosed a week ago with T2 that it may be connected and I know diabetics can get problems with their feet ? I quite scared . I am about 10 stone overweight so it could just not be healing because of my size ?? Xx

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, plantar is apparently more likely with diabetes. Do try to reduce your weight and blood sugar. If you haven't yet got a meter do get hold of one so you can check your blood sugar. You will need to seriously change your diet by reducing the carbs but having enough protein, fats, veg and fruit to make up the difference and keep you feeling full. Think carbs not calories and you will be fine on the weight and hopefully blood sugar front. This may help with the foot problem.

MacFee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you :) yes I got myself a meter and keeping a good eye on it and also lost 4 lbs last week and hope to continue at 1-2 lbs a week hopefully ! I'm limiting my carbs and using my fitness pal app to help me see how many I'm eating etc . Xx

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi MacFee, I did suffer with a plantar faciatis for a few years, long time before I was diabetic .. I was lucky as it went away on its own. A friend had to have his operated on .. it was not a good outcome. You say you have 10st to loose .. this is achievable with the low carb high fat way of eating, I have lost 5st in 2 years .. stopped loosing now to get used to my new body shape.. then will lower the fats again to restart the weight loss.
The most important part of the low carb is eating the fats .. like olive oil, coconut oil, nuts anythings like that, you need the fats to give you energy as your not getting them from carbs now. I lost my weight on 20 to 30g of carbs a day.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have had plantar faciatis in my right foot for nearly 2 years and it's not healing very well and now I'm worried because we have been diagnosed a week ago with T2 that it may be connected and I know diabetics can get problems with their feet ? I quite scared . I am about 10 stone overweight so it could just not be healing because of my size ?? Xx
Have you been to a podiatrist about the plantar fasciitis? I had it before diabetes and my podiatrist had custom orthotics made and these were great. He also gave me stretching exercises to do.

I lost 8 stone in one year through low carbing... you can do it! Good luck.

MacFee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I have been a few times over the last two years and been given insoles and exercises and it's keeps getting better and when I think I'm getting there gets worse again I hope when I lose weight it helps a lot X

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My comments would be general to you MacFee.

Please don't link every little ache and pain to diabetes. It's irrelevant whether or not it is, at this stage, because there are a couple of things that are important, and certainly one of them would significantly improve the likelihood of your plantar fasciitis healing and staying that way. But, both the things you need to do are important for your diabetes too, so could be a win:win.

In no particular order getting your bloods in order and dropping some weight.

In reality, even if those things didn't (in the time it takes to achieve) improve your heel, then it is undoubtedly tru e that you would be better placed, physically, to face surgery, if it became necessary.

But, please, please, don't link everything to diabetes. Personally, I find that to be such a dangerous position as it can lead to flawed at worst, or delayed proper diagnosis.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: 4 people