T1 diabetes in the family?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Newly diagnosed at age 26 with T1. Around 3 months now. Wanted to know if there is a history of diabetes running in your family? No one that i know has diabetes, doctors are surpised, and want to do more tests on me. Is it that uncommon getting diagnosed over 25 years? This is my first time posting here, have been reading for a while and wow this forum has answered alot of questions that no doctor can answer! Thank you :)
I'm a 4th generation type 1 my uncle who is 80 years old is still alive and was diagnosed when he was 30. Both he and I have medals for having diabetes for 50 years :)
It's surprising though how many over 25 are diagnosed with type 1 diabetes

Reactions: 7 people

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed aged 39, my elder sister was also diagnosed at about 39 (the diagnosis took a while). No one else in the family with Type 1.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed last year age 29. Only diabetic in the family

Tfqleeds

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a 4th generation type 1 my uncle who is 80 years old is still alive and was diagnosed when he was 30. Both he and I have medals for having diabetes for 50 years :)
It's surprising though how many over 25 are diagnosed with type 1 diabetes

Wonderful to hear this! Have either of you experienced any complications? (If you don't mind me asking!?) .... If not is this down to tight control?

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Wonderful to hear this! Have either of you experienced any complications? (If you don't mind me asking!?) .... If not is this down to tight control?

I have no complications, but do have other autoimmune conditions, Uncle has just recently had a slight eye haemorrhage but otherwise fit and healthy. Obviously I have no idea about his control, I run an A1c of between 6.2 and 6.4 but no idea what it would be back in the 1960's/70's as no home testing or A1c's back then. I had my injections and carbs were counted and just expected to get on with life with two brothers to compete with this was exactly what I did. :)

Reactions: 7 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
No other type 1's in my family (and hopefully no one else will get diagnosed with this either !) :woot:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No members of my family (well none that we knew of) had diabetes before and only one has developed it since I was diagnosed, that was a Aunty who had type 2 diabetes.

B33

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey. Diagnosed February this year. Aged 34. No history of diabetes in the family.

LauraC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed type one in July this year..
my dad was diagnosed type one when he was my age (26)
my dad's brother is also type one..
and one of my cousins (male) is type one on my dads side...

i'm the first female!

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No family history here either. I was diagnosed six months ago age 44.

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diagnosed 1990 only family member as far as I know, son diagnosed 2 years ago as coeliac closely followed by me! Have one aunt with lupus. Just hoping the next generation are all ok

LottyT

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nope just me, diagnosed at 16, am now 29. My cousin has Crohns and i also have rheumatoid arthritis so might be some auto immune thing going on

Arsenal_1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed type 1 august this year at the age of 28.. Was suffering all summer with bad dry throat, fast heart rate, struggled to breath and lost so much weight. Took jus over 2months to find out what was goin on after multiple visits to hospitals and my GP. A paramedic figured out what was wrong with me and rushed me into hospital.. Thats when i found out my dad had t2 and my aunt has t1.. Was really suprised when i was diagnosed, couldnt believe it was happenin to me but jus gotta learn to live with it.

Reactions: 4 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Only one and a different blood group too. Must be the milkmans? lol

Reactions: 2 people

badgerlover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello. I was diagnosed type 1 at.....43! My nephew type 1 at14, my cousin at 11, my brother type, 2 other cousins ,siblings type 2....grandfather on mother's side type 2. I remember as a small child my maternal grandfather's sisters were type 1. Must be in a maternal line. Good luck. Please take care. Big hugs.

kimbelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
IIRC, there is no history of diabetes in my family, and I don't think there were any other autoimmmune diseases either - although I'm not certain. My mum had thyroid cancer, but don't think that's particularly related to thyroid disease (could be wrong). Anyway, both I and one of my brothers has T1D. I'm 28, was diagnosed at 15, he's 23 and was diagnosed at 4 years old. So he was surprise in terms of likelihood, I was the surprise in terms of late diagnosis!

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Newly diagnosed at age 26 with T1. Around 3 months now. Wanted to know if there is a history of diabetes running in your family? No one that i know has diabetes, doctors are surpised, and want to do more tests on me. Is it that uncommon getting diagnosed over 25 years? This is my first time posting here, have been reading for a while and wow this forum has answered alot of questions that no doctor can answer! Thank you :)
My daughter was diagnosed December and no history of type 1 that we know of but my partner was adopted so have no history to look at there, however my mothers and fathers side both have big history of autoimmune diseases. X