When to test for ketones.....

Emma158

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

Just a quick query as I've been given so much information since diagnosis that it's sometimes a bit of a blur! When diagnosed, I had high levels of ketones so have been given ketostix so that I can check. My question really is do I have to check regularly or only when my BG is at a certain level? I will ask the DN when I speak to her next week but I just wondered if it's only necessary with high BG readings.

Thanks

Emma

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi All,

Just a quick query as I've been given so much information since diagnosis that it's sometimes a bit of a blur! When diagnosed, I had high levels of ketones so have been given ketostix so that I can check. My question really is do I have to check regularly or only when my BG is at a certain level? I will ask the DN when I speak to her next week but I just wondered if it's only necessary with high BG readings.

Thanks

Emma
According to the DCUK website:

"People with insulin dependent diabetes should take a ketone test:

• Any time your blood sugar is over 17 mmol/l (300 mg/dl)
  • If sugar levels have repeatedly been over 13 mmol/l (230 mg/dl)
  • If you are unwell and have any of the symptoms of ketoacidosis"
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/testing-for-ketones.html

I'm not on insulin but I've read people here say that blood ketone testing is more helpful than urine ketone testing, so that might be something to ask about next time you see your DN.

Reactions: 2 people

Emma158

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
According to the DCUK website:

"People with insulin dependent diabetes should take a ketone test:

• Any time your blood sugar is over 17 mmol/l (300 mg/dl)
  • If sugar levels have repeatedly been over 13 mmol/l (230 mg/dl)
  • If you are unwell and have any of the symptoms of ketoacidosis"
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/testing-for-ketones.html

I'm not on insulin but I've read people here say that blood ketone testing is more helpful than urine ketone testing, so that might be something to ask about next time you see your DN.

Thanks so much :)