How much weight have YOU lost?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
BMI is Body Mass Index. It is supposed to show the ideal weight range for your body type and height. there is some debate whether it is actually helpful, as it doesn't take some factors into consideration, for example some quite fit and healthy people like rugby players show as overweight but their weight is due to muscle rather than fat.
You can enter your weight, height etc and get your bmi here:
http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx
As you said, BMI means very little as it doesn't account for lean mass (muscle). I'd focus more about how your clothes fit and how you feel physically (and mentally).

According to the calculator I was somewhere between "Obese" and "Morbidly obese" in the attached picture, You be the judge...

Of note: that was me at my fittest point in my life (pre-diabetes) and after losing about 3 stone... I'm comfortable saying that I don't think I was morbidly obese.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 265

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done you must feel like a new person. Do you have any more weight you want to lose or have you already reached your goal weight.
Thanks for the encouragement - much appreciated. I've certaily got more energy but have a significant way to go.... but I've made a start and could say I'm a third of the way there ...:happy:

I've calculated my BMI it was 40 :arghh: now down to 34 :inpain:and it has to be down to 25 - so that's at least another 4 - 5 stone to lose

I'm looking forward to that new wardrobe sometime!!

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
11 stone in 18 months - now weigh 11 stone really went for it daily swimming and calorie counting - and now have very little insulin am Type 1

Wow, that's fantastic! :)

Other than the exercise and calorie counting can I ask what else you did? Did you reduce carbs?

Nursery64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No just swimming and loads of swimming- front crawl one week I managed 1018 lengths and just calorie
Counting 1200 a day

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're doing great. I remember when my BMI was 40 and the family thought I was weird when it got down to 29 because I was overjoyed that I was only classed as 'overweight' instead of 'obese'. My weight came off quite slowly in comparison to others but I think it is really an individual thing and as long as you're happy then thats the main thing.

Reactions: 4 people

badwolfreturns

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My weight loss is going well,lost 2 stone and 12lbs,hopefully in diabetic review in two weeks will show lower blood sugars

Last edited by a moderator:

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
Well a couple of months ago I was 20st 13lb and went on orlisat and lost about 11lbs , I was diagnosed last week with T2 and have been following my fitness pal calorie counted but LC diet and have lost 6lb so down to 19st 10lb . I really want to try and reverse the T2 if at all possible and control my weight and get down to a healthy weight again ! I am struggling with excercise as I have plantar faciatis and my foot is very sore after doing lots of walking last week xx
I used to suffer with that, get ur gp to give u a cortizone injection in it worked a treat for me and has never returned. I also always wear fit flop style shoes/sandles with shock absorbers in that really helps .

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm a very happy bunny as I have lost 20lb since starting the lchf diet, insulin and canagliflozin 100g tablet. Hurray I thought I couldn't lose weight just gain. Me? lose weight? I just don't believe it. See what DN says at hospital tomorrow. I want to reduce insulin more but BGs go too high.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
On a low income and have 2 young children who love their fish fingers and chicken nuggets. It's more cost effective to occasional eat with them or the same as them. Same oven load etc..
OH has set aside a bit of cash for a new wok. I'm going to experiment. Any guidelines I should adhere too?
I've now lost 20lbs so very happy now. The wait was worth it. Calorie counting too.

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in March this year, and l've lost 19kg. I've gone from 99 to 80kg ld still like to lose at least another 12kg or so, but l'll get there :)

Reactions: 6 people

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @ickihun l am really happy about the weight loss, it was badly needed. That said, l'm not happy with my latest cholesterol results, so some tweaks are required :)

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It takes time to get everything sorted, at least you are on the right track.

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
its a whole new learning curve for me @ratbags.

My HDL has gone from 0.9 to 1.0 mmol/l - which is good, I think
My TriG has gone from 2.1 to 1.8 mmol/l - again, heading in the right direction
My LDL has gone from 3.7 to 4.5 mmol/l - very bad....and there in lies my next project

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh well at least you know what number you need to work on. Mine is similar to yours so I know how frustrating it can be trying to get the balance right. It is definately a steep learning curve all round when you get diagnosed as diabetes, cholesterol and BP usually go hand in hand.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thank you @ickihun l am really happy about the weight loss, it was badly needed. That said, l'm not happy with my latest cholesterol results, so some tweaks are required :)
Out of interest are you on the lchf diet?
My cholesterol has been excellent without the need for a statin but recently gone on lchf diet so I'll see if any effect on my cholesterol. Really enjoying the cream and cheese, nuts and fish dishes.

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes @ickihun I've been doing Low Carb Full Fat since March, and l have to say I really enjoy it too, but I think perhaps l've over done the "norty" fats a bit, so l think I may have to make a few "tweaks".
It's my LDL cholesterol that's going in the wrong direction, the HDL and triGs are headed the right way.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes @ickihun I've been doing Low Carb Full Fat since March, and l have to say I really enjoy it too, but I think perhaps l've over done the "norty" fats a bit, so l think I may have to make a few "tweaks".
It's my LDL cholesterol that's going in the wrong direction, the HDL and triGs are headed the right way.
Not sure what fixes that. I have seen a post somewhere with regards to which fat to watch out for. I know trans fats are not very good to anyone. Check your labels for them. Hopefully someone will be along to keep us right. :)

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The good thing about LCFF is since l've made the switch I eat very little to no ready meals, I even make my own burgers :).
I'll cut back on what I think is causing it, and see what happens - fingers crossed, because ld like to avoid statins if poss.