Type 1 Do I need to take my bra off???

KeepSmiling

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Having reconsidered this there would be one another sensible reason for this request and that would be if the patient was Ahem well endowed, lots of breast tissue can muffle the sounds and being able to watch the bosom/ rib cage move can assist in respiratory counting.

I think the fact that noone else seems to have taken their bra off (other than for more serious examination like ecg and mri) confirms that at the very least my examination should be investigated.

Thank you all for all your posts, you have helped me keep my resolve, and helped me feel less like im crazy or making a fuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@KeepSmiling

Give them hell, sad to say some Dr's/Consultants still seem to think they are gods gift to mankind, and defo need a slap now and then to remind them they are just people after all.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I had to recently do that a couple of weeks ago, in A&E, ( but not for heart problems) so just in a cubicle, because they needed to x-ray my chest and monitor my heart, but it was done by a female nurse, thank god.
Had a weird one in Frimley hospital a few years back, something went wrong with my eye, droopy eyelid, (possible ptosis) but everything seemed to okay, then they asked if I had pain or anything in my chest/shoulders, I said yes on the one side and they all looked at each other and said I needed an x-ray straight away and had to take all my upper garments off !! If it was Ptosis and Horners syndrome, that would of been a medical emergency.
I know we women have have a lot of sensitive and invasive procedures through out our life time, but for eye's or something else, best to always question it there and then.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I think the doc was being pervy. Its standard these days to have a nurse or chaperone in with the consult. Its to stop people complaining about abuse. To just listen to your chest there was no reason to ask for removal of your bra.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Thanks for your responses. if nothing else i hope this post lets young girls know that they can stand up to pervy doctors.

I have made a formal complaint to the hospital, as that is what is advised online in the UK, from which i had a meeting with the hospital. I have just received the summary of the meeting and it has come back as a personal attack on my character. I have also been told that the doctor in question is highly respected and that no other complaints have been made against him.

Thanks again xx

I think this is outrageous; no diabetic consultant has ever listened to my heart. Unless very specific reasons were given what possible clinical need is there for the procedure in the first place (is he a cardiologist?) and certainly no need for you to strip.

This response from the hospital is frankly shocking; to attack people who are raising issues is moronic.

How can hospitals improve their processes and flag unacceptable behaviour if every complaint is met like this?

Take this on and take it as high as you can; a letter to your MP and your local news paper might be useful in addition to the formal complaint procedure.

Who cares whether the doctor is 'respectable'? That's an idiotic thing to say! The implication is that they mean that they'd take this seriously if it were one of their dodgy doctors but not this one... I suppose though that's the last time that they can use their other line about no-one else complaining.

Good luck; you really don't have to put up with this stuff from anyone, least of all someone in with a specific legal duty of care towards you.

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 8 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I think this is outrageous; no diabetic consultant has ever listened to my heart. Unless very specific reasons were given what possible clinical need is there for the procedure in the first place (is he a cardiologist?) and certainly no need for you to strip.

This response from the hospital is frankly shocking; to attack people who are raising issues is moronic.

How can hospitals improve their processes and flag unacceptable behaviour if every complaint is met like this?

Take this on and take it as high as you can; a letter to your MP and your local news paper might be useful in addition to the formal complaint procedure.

Who cares whether the doctor is 'respectable'? That's an idiotic thing to say! The implication is that they mean that they'd take this seriously if it were one of their dodgy doctors but not this one... I suppose though that's the last time that they can use their other line about no-one else complaining.

Good luck; you really don't have to put up with this stuff from anyone, least of all someone in with a specific legal duty of care towards you.

Best

Dillinger

Well said.

Reactions: 2 people

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree, it does seem unusual that you'd need to remove your bra just for the doctor to listen to your heartbeat. Just checked with my wife and she said that she's never had to do that just for the doc to listen with a stethoscope. There may be some other reason that we don't know about, but to be honest it does sound a bit pervy.

BTW. The doctor didn't look anything like this did he? Sorry, I know I shouldn't be making jokes. :oops:
benny-hill.jpg

Reactions: 6 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The doctor sounds dodgy. When making a complaint, keep all the facts to hand and be prepared to persevere. Hospitals may well try to put you off. People within the profession who have turned whistleblower have had their careers destroyed by aggressive management tactics, so you need strong allies. If other patients have suffered similarly but have not felt able to speak out you may encourage them to do so, but I'm afraid that would result in open warfare with the hospital trust.

Reactions: 6 people

KeepSmiling

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I agree, it does seem unusual that you'd need to remove your bra just for the doctor to listen to your heartbeat. Just checked with my wife and she said that she's never had to do that just for the doc to listen with a stethoscope. There may be some other reason that we don't know about, but to be honest it does sound a bit pervy.

BTW. The doctor didn't look anything like this did he? Sorry, I know I shouldn't be making jokes. :oops:
View attachment 16127
Hahaha....thank you so much, really made me laugh. getting a little scared about poking a bear and needed that, thanks :)

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Some years ago, before we had the right to access our records, it was said that some doctors would make all sort of sarcastic and unseemly notes about us in semi-code, knowing that they would never be seen, or at least only by other members of the club. One I have heard about is "TUBE", or "totally unnecessary breast examination". Maybe not true, but there's no smoke without fire and people don't change.
Sally

KeepSmiling

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Some years ago, before we had the right to access our records, it was said that some doctors would make all sort of sarcastic and unseemly notes about us in semi-code, knowing that they would never be seen, or at least only by other members of the club. One I have heard about is "TUBE", or "totally unnecessary breast examination". Maybe not true, but there's no smoke without fire and people don't change.
Sally
Thanks for your post, all helps remind me i'm doing the right thing.

M

mrspuddleduck

I agree with everyone above! I have never been asked to remove my bra for a simple 'listen to my heart' examination. If fact even when I was admitted as an emergency last year with a suspect pulmonary embolism the doctor examined me with underwear intact and I only had to remove my bra when I went for a CT scan. Definitely dodgy! Sue x

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have only ever had to remove my bra for surgery or an ECG or scan. For an examination with a stethoscope I have always kept my bra on and sometimes T-shirt too.

KeepSmiling

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have only ever had to remove my bra for surgery or an ECG or scan. For an examination with a stethoscope I have always kept my bra on and sometimes T-shirt too.
Thanks for your post.
I recently took part in a trial and they managed to do the same examination with my bra, top and jumper on!!

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've never had to remove my bra for a stethoscope at GP surgery or ECG in A&E. These days, if male consultants are going to examine, shall we say sensitive areas, they should, for their own protection, ensure that a chaperone is present. I have the option to request one at my GP's surgery, it should certainly be offered in hospital IMO.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Having reconsidered this there would be one another sensible reason for this request and that would be if the patient was Ahem well endowed, lots of breast tissue can muffle the sounds and being able to watch the bosom/ rib cage move can assist in respiratory counting.
That makes sense, that the doctor might need to see the rib cage moving. But, what he should have done was explain that, and offer a chaperone. When I've been in this situation, the doctor usually goes to great lengths to sort of apologise for having to do something like this, so I'm not left wondering if it was necessary or not.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, @KeepSmiling

No one likes to feel violated by a proffessional (or otherwise.) in a "position of trust." Unfortunately, some individuals do have strange ulterior motives that will never be fathomed..
Even the most sceptical of us has had to deal with the odd inapropriate attempt.

It can happen to a guy too!
I trained as a dancer. (I wouldn't say I was a very good one.) as a young man I went for a mundane job interview that involved a "physical". I know the difference between a medical exam & private performance..

Back then doctors were gods.??!!

Emilyprice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had an ECG about a year or so ago and I had to take my top off, but kept on my bra. He had to put the wires sort of in the bra due to placement (at the very top / side) but I didn't have to take it off.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Of course we don't want to think that GP's, Doctor's or consultants might be 'pervy' in a sexual way, but it does happen. As we all know from the media, it just takes one brave person to actually speak out and then, others come out of the woodwork to speak up. But if it is just you, then that is still one too many and I hope you can keep going with this. Take care and good luck.

Making a complaint :-http://www.nhs.uk/choiceintheNHS/Rightsandpledges/complaints/Pages/NHScomplaints.aspx