Anyone going to Glastonbury? Tips for a newbie?

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! Any fellow Glastonbury goers out there? I've been several times over the years and was diagnosed type1 7 weeks ago. At the moment it all seems like it's going to be hard work, testing, injecting, trying not to go low, estimating carb content etc, all while in a possible muddy field! < prays for sunshine>
So, any top tips?
I want to be able to have a drink or 3 and have been advised to halve both my background and my rapid acting while there.
I only take .5 of a unit of levemir AM ( probably honeymooning at the moment) so will knock that off completely. My ratio seems to be around 1:20 normally, so does that mean I should work 1:40 while there? Bit confused!
We do have the luxury of an old caravan so if it all gets too much, I'll be in there listening to the hum from camper van East! But let's hope not!
Any advice, gratefully received as always,
Cheers.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
1/ Don't worry.
2/ Deal with it when it happens.
3/ Keep your energy drink or whatever you use close by.
4/ Wear sunscreen,
5/ Enjoy the show.

But seriously (just for a brief moment). I was away last weekend picking the brat up from Uni and visiting the wifes rellies, thought I'd checked everything but got there Sat' morning to find I only had 3 needles with me! My only (sensible) advice would be double check everything before you set off.

Reactions: 7 people

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When you arrive find out location of first aid tent - they have sharps bin, clean area for injecting, water to drink (don't dehydrate!) and snack if needed.
If you don't already have one wear a medialert wrist band (silicone ones are good).

Have fun! set off hours before you think you need to as traffic is a bl****y nightmare (live close enough to it to be affected by traffic and we avoid the roads as much as possible).

Reactions: 2 people

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, 'Deal with it when it happens' is good advice. I'm whittling about it too much.

I felt I should have a practice with the vino last night, had 3 largish glasses and woke up @ 6.7 so I'm pleased with that. 15g of carb before bed and .5 reduction of my basal seemed to mop it up ok.

Reactions: 4 people

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I went to Glastonbury last year :)

-- for me, all the walking / dancing plus the alcohol, kept my numbers low... So I'd guess you'd find you need significantly less insulin....

Whilst I agree not stressing too much beforehand as I'm sure you know, a lil drinky can really reduce how much hypo awareness you have... So for me, I'd be conservative in my insulin doses whist away, then correct if necessary, rather than the other way around... But we all manage things differently so do what feels most comfortable / reassuring for you :)

-- and have an amazing time!! :)

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was there last year too. Sadly my auntie died there, she had COPD and knew this one would be her last due to ill health, but I think the dusty conditions on the Wednesday got on her chest, we shall be paying out respects to her while there and also aiming to have a great time too in her memory.
I think I'll be very conservative with the insulin, I seem to be very sensitive to it, still managed to get into the 4's today despite knocking the AM background off completely today and working a 1:20g ratio.

Love your profile pic @artemis

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Don't worry about it too much. I was at Download last weekend and walked 40 miles over the weekend. My Libre sensor had died so I did it on finger pricks and nothing else. The hardest thing was keeping the tech dry as these were the conditions:

0dc47e2349b6f2c4441cf58779224398.jpg

cbeea3987a546b204db5d4c75f7a3ac8.jpg

It's easy enough to blood test by holding on to your meter, and realistically I would base your injections on your testing. You really don't want to be up in the middle of the night looking for somewhere to pee because you've halved your long acting and your bg is high (I've been there. You really don't).

As long as you remember that you do need insulin with beer/cider and you guesstimate your foods it will help a lot.

Most importantly, if it all becomes too hard, just make sure you take enough insulin to keep yourself in the 8-12 range and enjoy the festival. Four or five days at that level isn't going to kill you and it should mean you have a comfortable festival.

Reactions: 3 people

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks pretty bad! I've been to several wet Glastonbury's over the years including '97/'98 which were that infamous mud fest ones. Such hard work when it's like that!

I've not had any beer/cider since diagnosis so I'm not sure how it will impact, will mainly be sticking to vodka and diet bitter lemon, but I'll bear it in mind in case I fancy a cheeky cider or two.

MonicaH

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
You can read the review about Glastonbury festival) it was really great!!many emotions, best friends and awesome music.......So don't worry)) But be careful, take insulin and ask smb to look after you

dylt1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks pretty bad! I've been to several wet Glastonbury's over the years including '97/'98 which were that infamous mud fest ones. Such hard work when it's like that!

I've not had any beer/cider since diagnosis so I'm not sure how it will impact, will mainly be sticking to vodka and diet bitter lemon, but I'll bear it in mind in case I fancy a cheeky cider or two.

In the coming months you will realise that alcohol does not really affect your blood sugars if you stick to diet coke and vodka etc. I went to a festival a few weeks ago newly diagnosed and had the best blood sugars I've had since diagnosis. All the walking and dancing keeps your sugars down. Just watch out you might not even need bolus insulin the day after drinking, I could have some chips and with walking and the night before alcohol my sugars never went over 7. I only reduced my basal from 16 units to 12 units of lantus and it seemed to work ok. Just make sure you take enough supplies with you. In the night I would carry a regular bottle of pepsi around with me if I was dancing a bit more just to sip on every 15-20 mins. Don't worry about it too much and most of all, have fun!

p.s. lucky you getting tickets!

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello! Any fellow Glastonbury goers out there? I've been several times over the years and was diagnosed type1 7 weeks ago. At the moment it all seems like it's going to be hard work, testing, injecting, trying not to go low, estimating carb content etc, all while in a possible muddy field! < prays for sunshine>
So, any top tips?
I want to be able to have a drink or 3 and have been advised to halve both my background and my rapid acting while there.
I only take .5 of a unit of levemir AM ( probably honeymooning at the moment) so will knock that off completely. My ratio seems to be around 1:20 normally, so does that mean I should work 1:40 while there? Bit confused!
We do have the luxury of an old caravan so if it all gets too much, I'll be in there listening to the hum from camper van East! But let's hope not!
Any advice, gratefully received as always,
Cheers.

Completely unrelated to diabetes - but carry BABY WIPES WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES! :)

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol! thanks @MonicaH but I posted this in June before I went! Had a ball! No hypos. No hypers. Plenty of alcohol and a good time was had by all! My 8th Glastonbury but first as a type1