What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What fat / protein / carb ratio do you use? I must be doing something wrong :(

I try not to get too into the numbers. I find it is inhibiting, irritating and reduces gastronomic spontenaity (sp?).

So I just go for normal portions of protein, as few carbs as I can, and fill up on fat.

Did map it out on My Fitness Pal for a few weeks, about 18 months ago (what a phaff!!!) and found that I was just about spot on 20% protein, 5% carbs and 75% fat (by calories). Since then I have reduced the protein a bit, so am guessing I would be 15:5:80 now.

But I don't think the numbers are very helpful. I could eat 10 g of carbs in form of green veg, and feel GREAT, or 10g in mashed potato, and feel lousy. Sot, for me, the no of g or % is secondary to the type of carb, the speed of release, and what I eat it alongside...

Reactions: 2 people

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What fat / protein / carb ratio do you use? I must be doing something wrong :(
I’m just using it as a rough guide as you can only really get it where you want it by paying the premium. I aim below 10/75/15 % for c/f/p but basically try to keep the carbs down and restrict protein to less than half the g of the fat. Sometimes I go a bit over with the protein but hey, it’s not an exact science and everyone’s different. I have played around changing the levels and found what suits me. I find the main benefit is working out recipes as I do cook and bake a lot of my own stuff. And, I am very much a numbers person!

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I too found the MFP app quite complicated, and came to the conclusion that I'll stick to much much lower carb intake. I don't eat a lot of meat and love my greens. I have gone for the BURGEN bread and only have an occasional slice. Today I've had:
B. 1 chipolata, 3 streaky rashers, 1 Tom, 2 eggs, 1 ryvita. Fried coconut oil
Snack. 4 nuts
L. Turkey stir fry and flax seeds (crushed) lots of veggies. No root veg.
Snack. 4 more nuts
D. Soup, with cream 2 ryvitas buttered.
I might have a little bit of stewed Apple & cream later

Reactions: 5 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
B. 1/2 lidl's roll at 6.15am. Other 1/2 roll at 8am (after long walk in the fog)
L. Small amount lamb steak left over from y/days dinner, 1 fried egg
D. Fish curry with cauli rice
S. Smoked applewood cheese cube, 2nd snack-dbl Gloucester with chives cheese cube+5 almonds

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B Porridge/tea
L Sausage /cheese / onion omelette
Stewing steak (and veg) and cauliflower /Greens
Dessert home made fruit salad

And a three mile walk!

Reactions: 4 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - tin of French ratatouille !
L -Mozzarella and salad
D- Parma ham frittata with mushrooms, peppers, spring onions and home grown cherry tomatoes (picked the last ones today)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
There was a thread this morning about ready made cauliflower rice product being on sale in supermarkets. The thread seems to have disappeared, but apparently it's called Cauli Rice, sold in 200gm packs for £1.99. It will be on sale in Waitrose, Tesco, ASDA, and Holland & Barrett. There are 4 varieties, P.lain, Indian Pilau, Lemon Grass & Chilli, and Mediterranean.
I will be looking for it tomorrow.
https://www.caulirice.com/en/home/
Well I found the Natural and Mediterranean varieties of Cauli Rice in Tesco, and the Indian Pilau version in Waitrose. I bought the Mediterranean and Indian Pilau. But the Mediterranean version has 3.8g of sugar, and the Indian Pilau has 4g of sugar.
Will try them in due course to see how they taste.

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B slice of ham and a babybel (didnt have much time - rushing for a hosp appt)
L hospital canteen chicken curry with 1 poppadum (as predicted the diabetic lunch provided was a white bread sandwich so we declined and checked out the canteen)
D chicken breast with buttered cabbage and a creamy mushroom sauce made from the meat juices.
2 pieces of tinned pear in natural juice
Thoroughly enjoyed my dinner.
My biggest problem is breakfast. I like things like cereal or toast or pastries for breakfast (have cut all these things out) - not a big cooked breakfast fan. I literally had to choke the ham and cheese down this morning. Yogurt is nice but I'm getting bored of it. Guess id better start searching thro this thread for breakfast inspiration!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are some low carb muesli recipes on the forum. Even some cereal, I think.
And have you tried the lower carb breads, like the lidl protein rolls and livlife or burgen bread?

I made a great cinnamon spread from roughly equal quantities of cinnamon, butter and xylitol. And you can make 'jam' from crushed berries, sweetener and chia seeds...

The problem i find is that usually when food is a low carb 'substitute' it is a disappointment. So i try to eat naturally low carb foods that are real foods. If that makes sense...

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: 3xChipolatas,2xFried Eggs & Coffee with Cream

L: Multi Veggie & Stilton Soup

D: Buffalo Wings, Chunky Blue Cheese dressing, Coleslaw, Celery, Carrot, Cucumber & Sun Dried Toms (don't ask)

Red Wine

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Coffee & mini Babybel. Wasn’t hungry after that so stopped there
L :Cream of spinach & kale soup, avocado & egg salad
D: 2 x 97% sausages, Brussels sprouts, and the very last 60g of the garden new potatoes (have only been eating them because I planted them before I started LCHF). Yet another cream cheese cloud with jelly & dark chocolate. I don’t eat main crop potatoes as they spike my BS. Won’t miss them - back to cauliflower!

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are some low carb muesli recipes on the forum. Even some cereal, I think.
And have you tried the lower carb breads, like the lidl protein rolls and livlife or burgen bread?
I haven't managed to find any of the low carb breads yet - no Lidl unless I take a good hike out of my area. The Livlife bread looks nice - but my only option would be to buy it online - and not sure how fresh it would be when I got it.
I made a great cinnamon spread from roughly equal quantities of cinnamon, butter and xylitol. And you can make 'jam' from crushed berries, sweetener and chia seeds...
I'm torn here - between making a low sugar substitute or using a very small smear of 'normal' jam. But I have such a sweet tooth that I'm worried I will slide back into my old ways - ya know - ok today i'll just have a tiny bit more than yesterday - etc etc. Also I think for now I have to try and train my taste buds away from sweetness. I do allow myself small portions of fruit - and I'm really starting to notice the sugar in it - it tastes sweeter than it has before.
As for the low carb muesli - wayhaaaay - you've made my day - that would fit my bill perfectly :) so I shall try and hunt down a recipe for it - thank you xx

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: bacon, eggs, coffeencream
No lunch
D: moussaka, salad and a couple of slices of ugg fruit and nut loaf which is delicious, and i only hope Mr B comes home from snooker soon, or i might eat the rest of the loaf. With butter.

Luckily, it is silly-expensive so no chance of getting more.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
after months of Intermittent Feasting...:)..I am trying to go back to basics & avoid nuts, cream & cheese with the operative word being "trying"...

Black Coffee.
B: 4 eggs sunny side up with 2 tablespoons of butter
Black Coffee
D: Smoked duck & a whole bunch of green beans with a red chili, garlic sauteed in coconut oil topped off with Oregano Olive Oil
S: Occasional slice of butter until satiated :)

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
B - wasn't hungry
L - turkey and cheese salad
D - beef burger, bacom, egg & cheese
S - couple of glasses of merlot

Reactions: 5 people

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
Work today so brekky and lunch were portable
B - full fat yoghurt over mixed nuts and seeds - with a teeeeeny drizzle of agave nectar.
L - mixed green salad with mayo and mackerel strips - cucumber batons dipped in tbsp cream cheese.
D - roast lamb, cauliflower and a cheese sauce (made with 1 level dessert spoon flour), 3 strawberries chopped up with a splosh of cream.
S - 1 babybel cheese

Anyone got any tips for making a decent cheese sauce without using any flour?
I just put slices of any cheese in a pan with double cream melt down on low heat and pour over usually put bit extra grated over the top, don't overdo cream and it will b thicker.

Reactions: 7 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
I just put slices of any cheese in a pan with double cream melt down on low heat and pour over usually put bit extra grated over the top, don't overdo cream and it will b thicker.
I like to chuck a bit of mustard into the sauce, too.

Reactions: 8 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have such a sweet tooth that I'm worried I will slide back into my old ways - ya know - ok today i'll just have a tiny bit more than yesterday
Yes, I worried about that so I stayed right away from sweetness (apart from Mrs DeeJay :happy:) for over a year and found my taste buds changed so I can enjoy lemon juice and bitter chocolate in small amounts. Now I've started adding xylitol ( we don't have a dog) to things like mug cake and it's nice. There was some sort of hardwired connection in my brain between sugar and comfort which seems to have been broken.
I believe there is a recognised perfect combination of sugar and fat (about 50/50) as in ice cream which makes it seem so yummy.

Reactions: 8 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've given up with MFP, I'll try again when I've got rid of this cold.

Today....

Breakfast: Peanut butter mug cake with a tablespoon of double cream - won't be doing the cream again as makes it too soggy.
Lunch: Pancakes made with 2 eggs, 50g soft cheese and vanilla topped with splenda and fresh lemon juice
Dinner: Aldi chilli and spices pre-cooked salmon , avocado, big green salad
Supper: a few Brazil and Walnuts