Menstrual cycle blood glucose

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just looking for some views really...
I know that the menstrual cycle effects blood glucose in lots of people and am aware that it usually seems to manifest in increased insulin requirement pre-period and possibly decreased during.

It hasn't been something that I've paid a great deal of attention to previously, but just recently - in the last two or three months, I've noticed my insulin requirements following that pattern (having gradually to increase basal rates by as much as 50%).

Two things are odd about it:
1. Why is this only happening to me now, after 10 years of T1? It seems odd. (And I don't *think* it's simply that I didn't notice before).
2. I am on the pill (mercilon) and haven't changed it or anything about it for several years. I'd have thought this would mask any hormonal changes and reduce the effect on blood glucose, since my cycle is clearly not "real" whilst taking contraceptives.

Any insights anyone?
Or just comments/observations...?

audsital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat carbs!
Hi misswhiplash, I have been having problems which start about 10 days before the time if the month. Spoke to my go who wanted to put me on the pill or the coil but my diabetic doctor at the hospital and my dsn said that wouldn't help and unfortunately was hormonal. They suggested increasing my basal over this time. Good luck. Auds

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi misswhiplash, I have been having problems which start about 10 days before the time if the month. Spoke to my go who wanted to put me on the pill or the coil but my diabetic doctor at the hospital and my dsn said that wouldn't help and unfortunately was hormonal. They suggested increasing my basal over this time. Good luck. Auds
That seems a little odd, because the pill and certain IUDs do change the hormones in the body, that's how they work. Unless they were talking about different hormones (ie not oestrogen and progesterone).

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@misswhiplash, is it possible that you've seen the last remnants of some beta cells die off and this has resulted in changes during that period that may have been coming on slowly?