VICTOZA users

Heather

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Victoza

Good evening.
I'm new to this site, although I've been type 2 for ten years.

I just recently read an article regarding an injection called Victoza, used instead of Metformin. Does anyone have ay more info?

Heather

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
VICTOZA

Hi Heather.

Welcome to the forum. As you can see I have merged your post with the existing Victoza topic. Have a read about it here. Have a good look around and ask questions when you want to.

It is not used instead of Metformin but usually with Metformin.

mammacaz

Re: VICTOZA

Hi all,
Went back to the trial on Monday for blood tests to establish which route I take from Friday.

Back to Brum on Friday and it will go one of three ways:

1. If my long term bloods are below 7 then I will stay on the 1.8ml dose along with 1500mg Metformin and my Ezetrol.
2. If over 7 then it is a 50% chance that I stay as 1.) or
3. continue 1). but I will be put onto Demeter (spelling c**p) insulin. (which I don't want to do)

I like the Liraglutide/Victoza but today I am suffering probably from gastritis due to a high carb day yesterday. This involves Sulphur Burbs and the usual trips to bathroom which is normal for me on Metformin. However the way I feel is horrendous, no stomach pains but it feels very sore, and the only thing I find helps is drinking boiled warm water. I am going to try Yakult well at least something like it that we can have.

I really have to watch the amount of carbs I have and have looked at your links for the Low carb diet and hopefully this problem will stop, I also find certain fruits will cause this upset as well, Mango in particular probably due to the sugar content and I daren't have banana's because I get back pain.

I know I sound like some kind of windging Hypercondriac but this is the only site where I can dump my feelings and hopefully not sound to much like a nutter. :lol:

Seriously though this drug is being considered for being administered to obese people without diabetes because the weight loss on it has been considerable, while I was on one of my visits this man said that he had lost 3 stone since he had been taking it, and his sugar levels are lowest he has had for donkeys. I have lost 3kgs in 12 weeks I know this isn't a lot but I am very happy with it as I have yo-yo'd most of my adult life and for the first time (I can honestly say) I do not care about my weight it isn't giving me sleepless nights and I am happy, I will loose weight this time and it will stay off because of how slow it comes off. Some people are going to consider this as a miracle.

I will let you know how I get on on Friday.

Take care one and all

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

I think I've learned something useful from this thread.
there's no way I would get Victoza OR Byetta, unless I could pay for it( I'm an OAP :lol: and
I already pay for strips, )
My BG control is too good( Hba1c 5.4% this month) and I am working on improving it. I did pick up on the description of a Gastric band. My weight has been the same for a year. Still 2 stone more than It should be. I need not only to keep carbs down, but to eat much less. Lunch today was 1 crispbread with salami an cheese with lettuce. Followed by a cup of coffee. I'll have to cut out snacks altogether.
I did an hour in the gym, followed by a shortish walk of 2 miles in under an hour.

mammacaz

Nausea on Byetta & Victoza

Hi all,

This has worked for me and I am therefore passing the tip on because I feel bl**dy marvellous for the first time since being on Victoza/Liraglutide.

I have managed to get rid of the sick feeling along with the 'eggy' burps by drinking - waiting for it.

1teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar in half a mug of warm boiled water.

I have since had a mooch around a site that advocates doing this for general well being and the recipe is 2 tsps in 8oz water 3 times a day, if feeling really cruddy 2 tbls in 8oz 3 times a day and as a general rule once feeling really well 2 tbls in a litre of Evian and just sip it during the day.

Just a thought :lol:

jdesn

Liraglutide (Victoza) update

Hi All

Since posting in the newbie section I have started my new treatment of liraglutide and thought I would share my experience so far even though it has been only a few days, but some background first I think..

I was diagnosed with T2 nearly seven years ago now, I had a CABGx3 (Heart Bypass) in october 2004 and since then have struggled to maintain a healthy BG level.

My current prescription reads like a Sainsbury shopping list eg.

Simvastatin 40mg
Ezetimibe 10mg
Ramipril 2.5mg
Metformin 2000mg
Aspirin 75mg
Gliclazide 160mg
and now Liraglutide 0.6 rising to 1.2 in the next few days.

I started the injection thursday 20th at the hospital, after a very nervous time getting over there as I am a devout coward where needles are concerned, but the thought of it was more daunting than the actual injection and so far I have calmed a bit.

I now take my BG levels 4 times a day to monitor it, so far I have been very suprised at the results, having before usually had levels around 8 to 9, I was shocked that they fell within 4.5 to 7.5 which for me is good, so far I have only felt sick once, I have noticed that I have to eat smaller portions which is no great thing for me, I would not say I am overweight being 6'2" and weighing 14st 4lb.

I have noticed a few hot flushes which again are bearable, so for me so far it's all good but I know it's early days and hopefully things continue.

I will post periodical updates in the hope that in some way it helps others

Bye for now

Sammybee

Hi

I have now been on Victoza for 1 week. Fantastic is the only word I can use. After the failure of Byetta I was convinced this was not going to work.

I have had 10 mins of nausea in a week thats all! I know I shouldn't have got on the scales yet but I wanted a sneek peek and found I have lost 7 pounds. My sugars have come down to between 6 and 9 which is much better than 20!

I increase the dose to the next level tomorrow so fingers crossed all stays well!

I also feel fantastic!

Sammy

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hi Sammy.

Good to hear Victoza is working well for you. I hope that the increased dosage works out OK. Keep us posted how you get on please.

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi all well ive been a week on victoza and i feel great no side effects sugars are going down im so pleased after such a bad time with byetta i havnt weighed my self as its not so easy with plaster on one leg to stand on scales without wobbling off :lol: :lol: sugars good even though im not having much exercise been told to rest my leg as it was very swollen when they looked at it last week in hospital i will be upping the dose tomorrow so hopefully more effect on sugar levels its also great only having to inject just once a day :D :D well bye for now

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

Hi Candydog,

I'm really pleased the Victoza is working out for you after your bad experiences with Byetta. It's good to know that there is at last a viable alternative to Byetta for those like yourself that it doesn't suit.

Pinkybuttonz

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and also to Victoza. I've been on it a week now and have noticed a slight difference to sugar levels. I had slight side-affects in the first few days. Sadly change to my weight which I had hoped :( , but it is early days yet.

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hi all i thought i would give an update as im so pleased im 2 weeks on victoza now upped the dose a week ago still no side effects sugar levels have gone down to single figures first time for ages i feel so much better im still in plaster so still not doing a lot of excercise sugar levels better than i expected i know it seems im going on a bit but im just so pleased after such a bad time with the byetta so it proves if byetta doesnt work there is another option like victoza hopefully i can have my plaster taken off next week its been six weeks then i can start walking my dog again which i am really missing hope everyone is well take care bye for now :D :D :D

andy21

Hi,
I've been on Victoza for 4 weeks now,starting at 0.6mg for a week,then increasing the dose to 1.2mg.Blood sugars are in single figures,(although they've been good for years,anyway).Appetite is definately surpressed,and I'm eating less than before,so I'm looking forward to the weigh-in with my Diabetic nurse.Let's hope for a good weight loss!
As far as side effects go There was a little nausea during the first week(and a little twitching of the rear end at the thought of self injecting for the first time)but apart from that,it's been going really well,with no other side effects apparent so far.

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Great to hear how everybody is doing so well on Victoza. Keep up the good work and keep us all informed. We need somebody who is on it and can give out some 'expert' advice, so learn as much as you can ?

Sammybee

Hi All,

Well I have now been on the full dosage for 2 weeks. I feel great, sugars are good finally! I have had no sickness at all!

It is very strange how it works because either your brain or your body says you do want food but at the same time its saying 'Oh no you really don't want to eat!' which can get very confusing when you know you need food because you havent eaten anything all day. Please, when on this, make yourself eat at meal times because I could easily skip them. This has never been the case for me even with a lap band! Has anybody else found this with Victoza?

Sammy :wink:

Sammybee

Sorry another quick question!!

Has anybody noticed a change in their sleep patern? I am waking at silly o'clock in the morning and am unable to go back to sleep! This has been going on since I started on Victoza, I've forgotten to mention it previously!

Sammy :wink:

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi sammybee.

Sleep distubance is not listed as a known side effect of Victoza, maybe it is down to something else entirely ? Not even Diabetes related ?

Here is a link to a sleep disturbance symptom checker which might help pin down the real culprit ?
http://rightdiagnosis.co.uk/symptoms/sl ... rbance.htm

Anybody else any ideas ?

candyog

Dislikes
not so friendly people

hisammybee ive been on victoza 3 weeks now 1.2 at last in to single figures (sugar levels) still losing weight i have exactly the same feeling you know you should be eating but i could easily do without but then sometimes im hungry but when i sit down to eat i can only get through half of it its good though its what i need to lose weight i had such a bad time on byetta im so pleased with victoza ive not noticed any real difference with my sleep pattern since being on victoza although for a long time i have been waking up early hours wide awake just cant go back to sleep. :D :D its nice to hear about other people having success with victoza

JAC0609

Hi all, this is my first post!!!

Just picked up my first prescription of Victoza today. I'd tried the Byetta and just couldnt take to it. Nausea was overwhelming!!!! :cry: So quite nervous about trying this new one. :? But fingers crossed and reading all of your feedback Im hoping everything goes well. Just cant get the morning levels down any less than 16 at the moment. So will keep you updated as to where they are from tomorrow.

thanks Jac x