Disability and exercise

Molly0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bigotry and prejudice of all kinds.
I have a lot of health problems including copd and arthritis and use a wheelchair to get around. I can only walk a few yards. What can I do about exercise? I find it a bit depressing reading that exercise will help with diabetes when everything suggested is beyond me. Can anyone advise me?

K

Kat100

I will bump your post to alert @Jamrox who may have some exercise ideas ....
There is a thread which some members use for support ...regarding exercise
Other members may have ideas also ....

I have only heard about extend exerisces for people who sit when doing movements to music, often in a group for fun , but could be adapted for individuals ....best wishes kat

Step up for spring ...that is the title of the thread you might like to post on ....

Molly0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I will bump your post to alert @Jamrox who may have some exercise ideas ....
There is a thread which some members use for support ...regarding exercise
Other members may have ideas also ....

I have only heard about extend exerisces for people who sit when doing movements to music, often in a group for fun , but could be adapted for individuals ....best wishes kat

Step up for spring ...that is the title of the thread you might like to post on ....

Molly0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks Kat200, I'll look up the thread and the music exercise idea. I live with a little black cat too. Her name is Ruby and she really cheers me up!

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

Thanks Kat200, I'll look up the thread and the music exercise idea. I live with a little black cat too. Her name is Ruby and she really cheers me up!
Hi @Molly0 yes have a look at that thread ....maybe post on there , someone will have some ideas ...
Your little cat sounds a delight , pets are nice , brings company and comfort ...
Hope you are ok with the weather our local,news just showed a place 20 miles away from us covered with a dusting of snow ...
Stay warm ....and fit :) ....kat

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a lot of health problems including copd and arthritis and use a wheelchair to get around. I can only walk a few yards. What can I do about exercise? I find it a bit depressing reading that exercise will help with diabetes when everything suggested is beyond me. Can anyone advise me?

I am disabled by spinal injury, arthritis, asthma, eczema, a rare blood disorder.
Not able to walk far, but have chair based exercises provided by physio. Also, have found exercise in water to suit me so well that I am never away from the swimming pool. Exercise in water helps my breathing, and also keeps joints more mobile. I have gradually increased the range of movements, and love the feeling of gliding along weightless.

I know swimming is not to everyone's taste, but it has been a lifeline for me.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I found this, it may be helpful to you.

Best wishes RRB

Chair Exercises and Limited Mobility Fitness
Tips for People with Injuries and Disabilities
exercising-woman-in-wheelchair-350.jpg

The benefits of exercise are not restricted to people who have full mobility. In fact, if injury, disability, illness, or weight problems have limited your mobility, it’s even more important to experience the mood-boosting effects of exercise. Exercise can ease depression, relieve stress and anxiety, enhance self-esteem, and improve your whole outlook on life. While there are many challenges that come with having mobility issues, by adopting a creative approach, you can overcome your physical limitations and find enjoyable ways to exercise.

energize your mood, relieve stress, boost your self-esteem, and trigger an overall sense of well-being. If you’re a regular exerciser currently sidelined with an injury, you’ve probably noticed how inactivity has caused your mood and energy levels to sink. This is understandable: exercise has such a powerful effect on mood it can treat mild to moderate depression as effectively as antidepressant medication. However, an injury doesn’t mean your mental and emotional health is doomed to decline. While some injuries respond best to total rest, most simply require you to reevaluate your exercise routine with help from your doctor or physical therapist.

If you have a disability, severe weight problem, chronic breathing condition, diabetes, arthritis, or other ongoing illness you may think that your health problems make it impossible for you to exercise effectively, if at all. Or perhaps you’ve become frail with age and are worried about falling or injuring yourself if you try to exercise. The truth is, regardless of your age, current physical condition, and whether you’ve exercised in the past or not, there are plenty of ways to overcome your mobility issues and reap the physical, mental, and emotional rewards of exercise.

What types of exercise are possible with limited mobility?
It’s important to remember that any type of exercise will offer health benefits. Mobility issues inevitably make some types of exercise easier than others, but no matter your physical situation, you should aim to incorporate three different types of exercise into your routines:

• Cardiovascular exercises that raise your heart rate and increase your endurance. These can include walking, running, cycling, dancing, tennis, swimming, water aerobics, or “aquajogging”. Many people with mobility issues find exercising in water especially beneficial as it supports the body and reduces the risk of muscle or joint discomfort. Even if you’re confined to a chair or wheelchair, it’s still possible to perform cardiovascular exercise.
  • Strength training exercises involve using weights or other resistance to build muscle and bone mass, improve balance, and prevent falls. If you have limited mobility in your legs, your focus will be on upper body strength training. Similarly, if you have a shoulder injury, for example, your focus will be more on strength training your legs and abs.
  • Flexibility exercises help enhance your range of motion, prevent injury, and reduce pain and stiffness. These may include stretching exercises and yoga. Even if you have limited mobility in your legs, for example, you may still benefit from stretches and flexibility exercises to prevent or delay further muscle atrophy.
yoga or tai chi are great ways to improve flexibility and posture, as well reduce stress and anxiety.

Push Past Your Obstacles – How to overcome the obstacles you have for not exercising. (NIH)

Warming up and strength training exercises
A Guide to 10 Basic Stretches – A slideshow demonstrating how to perform ten basic stretches before and after exercising. (Mayo Clinic)

How to Warm Up and Cool Down – Done correctly, warming up and cooling down may offer help in reducing your risk of injury. (Mayo Clinic)

Strength Training: How To Video Collection – A number of instructional videos demonstrating how to correctly execute resistance exercises. (Mayo Clinic)

Exercises in a chair or wheelchair
Chair Calisthenics (PDF) – Calisthenics designed for those with diabetes but can be used by anyone looking for a seated workout. (Diabetes in Control)

Chair Aerobics – Aerobic workout designed to be performed in a seated position. (Diabetes in Control)

Seated Total Body Strength – A total body workout that can be done while seated and targets both the upper and lower body. It can be adapted to accommodate any injury or disability. (About.com)

Seated Upper Body Workout – A strength workout that can be done in a chair or wheelchair. (About.com)

How to Exercise If You Are a Wheelchair User – Benefits and tips for exercising in a wheelchair. (1800Wheelchair.com)

Wheelchair Yoga – Sample poses that can be performed in a wheelchair. (May All Be Happy)

Locate Chair Yoga Teachers – Find chair yoga classes and instructors in the US., Canada, England, Ireland, and several other countries. (Get Fit Where You Sit)

Exercises for overweight people and diabetics
Active at Any Size – Tips on overcoming the challenges faced by very large people who want to become more physically active. (Weight-control Information Network)

Walking, a Step in the Right Direction – General tips on how to create and follow a walking plan. (Weight-control Information Network)

Portable Pedal Machines – Article highlighting some of the benefits of using portable pedal machines. (Science Daily)

Diabetes and Exercise – Tips on when monitor your blood sugar level when exercising in order to stay safe. (Mayo Clinic)

Exercise for those with injuries or disabilities
Rehabilitation & Exercises – Strengthening exercises for various parts of the body as well as information on stretching, core stability, and pilates. (SportsInjuryClinic.net)

Videos – A directory of instructional exercise, fitness, and sports videos designed for people with various disabilities, including Multiple Sclerosis, Cerebral Palsy, stroke survivors, and veterans with limb loss. (NCPAD)

Finding adaptive exercise and sports programs
Programs by Location – A directory of exercise and sports programs available for people with disabilities and health conditions in countries including the U.S., the UK, Canada, and Australia. (National Center on Health, Physical Activity and Disability)

Wheelchair and Ambulatory Sports, USA – WASUSA is dedicated to providing adaptive sport opportunities for individuals with a disability. Find a chapter and explore their events and programs.

Authors: Lawrence Robinson and Jeanne Segal, Ph.D. Last updated: January 2015.

Exercise and Fitness As You Age

Easy Ways to Start Exercising

dolphinium

Hi, I found this, it may be helpful to you.

Best wishes RRB

Chair Exercises and Limited Mobility Fitness
Tips for People with Injuries and Disabilities
exercising-woman-in-wheelchair-350.jpg

The benefits of exercise are not restricted to people who have full mobility. In fact, if injury, disability, illness, or weight problems have limited your mobility, it’s even more important to experience the mood-boosting effects of exercise. Exercise can ease depression, relieve stress and anxiety, enhance self-esteem, and improve your whole outlook on life. While there are many challenges that come with having mobility issues, by adopting a creative approach, you can overcome your physical limitations and find enjoyable ways to exercise.

energize your mood, relieve stress, boost your self-esteem, and trigger an overall sense of well-being. If you’re a regular exerciser currently sidelined with an injury, you’ve probably noticed how inactivity has caused your mood and energy levels to sink. This is understandable: exercise has such a powerful effect on mood it can treat mild to moderate depression as effectively as antidepressant medication. However, an injury doesn’t mean your mental and emotional health is doomed to decline. While some injuries respond best to total rest, most simply require you to reevaluate your exercise routine with help from your doctor or physical therapist.

If you have a disability, severe weight problem, chronic breathing condition, diabetes, arthritis, or other ongoing illness you may think that your health problems make it impossible for you to exercise effectively, if at all. Or perhaps you’ve become frail with age and are worried about falling or injuring yourself if you try to exercise. The truth is, regardless of your age, current physical condition, and whether you’ve exercised in the past or not, there are plenty of ways to overcome your mobility issues and reap the physical, mental, and emotional rewards of exercise.

What types of exercise are possible with limited mobility?
It’s important to remember that any type of exercise will offer health benefits. Mobility issues inevitably make some types of exercise easier than others, but no matter your physical situation, you should aim to incorporate three different types of exercise into your routines:

• Cardiovascular exercises that raise your heart rate and increase your endurance. These can include walking, running, cycling, dancing, tennis, swimming, water aerobics, or “aquajogging”. Many people with mobility issues find exercising in water especially beneficial as it supports the body and reduces the risk of muscle or joint discomfort. Even if you’re confined to a chair or wheelchair, it’s still possible to perform cardiovascular exercise.
  • Strength training exercises involve using weights or other resistance to build muscle and bone mass, improve balance, and prevent falls. If you have limited mobility in your legs, your focus will be on upper body strength training. Similarly, if you have a shoulder injury, for example, your focus will be more on strength training your legs and abs.
  • Flexibility exercises help enhance your range of motion, prevent injury, and reduce pain and stiffness. These may include stretching exercises and yoga. Even if you have limited mobility in your legs, for example, you may still benefit from stretches and flexibility exercises to prevent or delay further muscle atrophy.
yoga or tai chi are great ways to improve flexibility and posture, as well reduce stress and anxiety.

Push Past Your Obstacles – How to overcome the obstacles you have for not exercising. (NIH)

Warming up and strength training exercises
A Guide to 10 Basic Stretches – A slideshow demonstrating how to perform ten basic stretches before and after exercising. (Mayo Clinic)

How to Warm Up and Cool Down – Done correctly, warming up and cooling down may offer help in reducing your risk of injury. (Mayo Clinic)

Strength Training: How To Video Collection – A number of instructional videos demonstrating how to correctly execute resistance exercises. (Mayo Clinic)

Exercises in a chair or wheelchair
Chair Calisthenics (PDF) – Calisthenics designed for those with diabetes but can be used by anyone looking for a seated workout. (Diabetes in Control)

Chair Aerobics – Aerobic workout designed to be performed in a seated position. (Diabetes in Control)

Seated Total Body Strength – A total body workout that can be done while seated and targets both the upper and lower body. It can be adapted to accommodate any injury or disability. (About.com)

Seated Upper Body Workout – A strength workout that can be done in a chair or wheelchair. (About.com)

How to Exercise If You Are a Wheelchair User – Benefits and tips for exercising in a wheelchair. (1800Wheelchair.com)

Wheelchair Yoga – Sample poses that can be performed in a wheelchair. (May All Be Happy)

Locate Chair Yoga Teachers – Find chair yoga classes and instructors in the US., Canada, England, Ireland, and several other countries. (Get Fit Where You Sit)

Exercises for overweight people and diabetics
Active at Any Size – Tips on overcoming the challenges faced by very large people who want to become more physically active. (Weight-control Information Network)

Walking, a Step in the Right Direction – General tips on how to create and follow a walking plan. (Weight-control Information Network)

Portable Pedal Machines – Article highlighting some of the benefits of using portable pedal machines. (Science Daily)

Diabetes and Exercise – Tips on when monitor your blood sugar level when exercising in order to stay safe. (Mayo Clinic)

Exercise for those with injuries or disabilities
Rehabilitation & Exercises – Strengthening exercises for various parts of the body as well as information on stretching, core stability, and pilates. (SportsInjuryClinic.net)

Videos – A directory of instructional exercise, fitness, and sports videos designed for people with various disabilities, including Multiple Sclerosis, Cerebral Palsy, stroke survivors, and veterans with limb loss. (NCPAD)

Finding adaptive exercise and sports programs
Programs by Location – A directory of exercise and sports programs available for people with disabilities and health conditions in countries including the U.S., the UK, Canada, and Australia. (National Center on Health, Physical Activity and Disability)

Wheelchair and Ambulatory Sports, USA – WASUSA is dedicated to providing adaptive sport opportunities for individuals with a disability. Find a chapter and explore their events and programs.

Authors: Lawrence Robinson and Jeanne Segal, Ph.D. Last updated: January 2015.

Exercise and Fitness As You Age

Easy Ways to Start Exercising
Thank you have searched for a while and been trying my best but found this today on here and I'll be exercising like mad. Have MS and it's annoying all the advice is walk, run etc and my wee legs don't work anymore .
Hbca1 was 55June 13 then down to 43 now up 46 just recent so was told off for it getting high again even though it's not too bad and needed help so thanks once again.
P.s I know I spelt it wrong but I'm just glad I've auto correct for everything else!

Reactions: 2 people

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi there molly0 :). As i am not sure what your range of motion with your upper and lower body is so i am not sure if this is helpful. I have got athritis and muscluar problems and been inactive for 20+ years and got quite a bit of muscle wastage and i am trying to build a bit of muscle now.
I bought some resistance bands from amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gritin-Resistance-Skin-Friendly-Exercise-Different/dp/B07L9WLKZQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3242T386S52D8&keywords=resistance+bands&qid=1645172150&sprefix=resistance+bands,aps,74&sr=8-5 and i am using this video to get started and will work my way onto other exercises when i am a bit stronger :)

Not sure if this is of any help for you but i am sure there are great people on this forum in wheel chairs that will have some great advice for you :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Molly, I wonder whether you are able to get into a swimming pool? There are lots of movements you can make in water hopefully without too much stress on your arthritis etc. Dependent on where you live and your personal circumstances, you may also be able to get help getting to the pool.

nanamama

nanamama

It is very frustrating! A few years ago I was started walking on a treadmill very slowly and pretty much holding myself up on the rails. I started off walking one to two minutes at a time and it wore me out. I first added additional walking sessions each day and when it was getting easier to do I increased the length of time I walked each time. It took many months but I was finally able to walk 15 and then 30 minutes at a time!! I was doing this twice a day and my glucose was significantly improved. Then I had an additional autoimmune disease rear it’s ugly head and the pain was so intense that I could no longer waking the treadmill at all. I was crushed! However I found a great deal on a used stationary, recumbent bike that I could manage to ride a few minutes at a time and started to build time as before. That was great as long as it lasted. Further deterioration of autoimmune illnesses put a halt to that. I am now limited to using stretch bands in bed for my arms. If I can get someone to take me to a heated therapy pool at the community center or a warm pool at a local hotel, I am able to work on wall four extremities! Helps stamina as well. Some people buy a hot tub for moving arms and legs! They make portable hot tubs for much less money so it might be more affordable than you think. I encourage you to keep trying. If we stop moving altogether we will die sooner. I will go down kicking and fighting! Never stop trying! Best wishes for your improved health!

mansingh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi- try yoga, there several poses / starching, start slowly do 3 and than slowly increase them . Yoga really helps.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am a pt and tend to have a few older clients with mobility issues and injuries! Plus diabetes.
The main thing is that exercise is not the be all and end all. Food choices are going to help 90% of the time when it comes to weight management and blood glucose control.
If you can use weights and bands on a chair do 10-15 of each exercise eg. shoulder press, arm raises to the side and to the front, bent over rows and bicep curls.
You could also try sit to stand or squats holding onto back of a chair
Wall push ups with hands at chest level and wider than the shoulders, leaning your chest into the wall and pushing away.
Even just leaning back and lifting up 1 leg at a time can help you build core strength
If ;;you are relatively un used to this type of exercise, please try and build a habit twice a week and it should be easy to add a little muscle strength and endurance.

Again its the food that makes the biggest difference!

mattuk

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Olives
Unfortunately, I have a generalised neuromuscular disease, and even making a fist is difficult. I can splurge in a pool but can no longer swim, I just float around!