Manipulation Under Anesthesia

Jackie100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi can anyone tell me if they have had this procedure done on a frozen shoulder and if so was it successful and what was recovery time , and how long was you off work . X

lynne99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I have no experience of that procedure, but if I reply then you will go back to the top of the list and it may be seen by someone else. Good luck Lynne

iHs

Hi @Jackie100

I developed a frozen shoulder in the late 90's and had 3 MUAs done on it in the end over 3 years. The first 2 were not that successful but that was because the technique that the junior surgeons used, was not as good as the head man himself who 'had the touch'. The other reasons for the MUAs failing were down to me and down to the physiotherapy that was carried out after the MUAs had been done.

What can I say about MUAs...........expect to experience some level of mild to severe discomfort when you wake up in recovery. You will probably need some strong paikillers because of the adhesions being broken up during the manipulation.
As soon as you can, get out of bed and start to walk your arm up a wall as far as you can bear the discomfort for - grit yr teeth and count to 30 slowly and then do the same thing an hour later and repeat. This will help the shoulder to not freeze up again.
You will be given an appt with a physio but download some frozen shoulder exercises that can be done at home while you wait.
Get a bottle of baby oil or vegetable oil and sit in a warm room and get someone to massage the muscles around your shoulder joint and especially the muscle at the back of your armpit. In frozen shoulder syndrome, because the arm movement is restricted, the muscles no longer stretch so massaging them enables the muscles to loosen up and by walking your arm up a wall, the armpit muscle will start to stretch again and with peserverence and determination, you will slowly and surely be able to lift your arm up in the air again. There are loads of other exercises that can be done at home so try to make yourself do them as much as you can every day.

Lots of women in their 40's upward get frozen shoulders at some time and many are not diabetic.

Good luck with your MUA and remember the exercises

Reactions: 5 people

Jackie100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks very much iHs that is very helpful yes I have been told about all the physio and I will do then because I just want to hopefully ease the pain a great deal . And thanks for the tip about the oils I will I hope be having the op soon so I keep you updated thanks x

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Jackie100

I had MUA on both shoulders together a number of years ago and it did help up to a point but both did re-freeze a few years later and required arthroscopic release. The pain after you come round in recovery can be quite severe but you get good pain relief also I had a nerve block down one arm so I couldn't feel anything for a few hours, Doing exercises and physio really helped to start to regain some better movement although initially it is a case of gritting your teeth as iHs says. Recovery was an ongoing thing over a few months, I wasn't working at the time so can't help on that front. Ask whether or not the surgeon intends to inject steroids into the joint as they can cause havoc with raised blood glucose.

Good luck, I hope MUA helps you as frozen shoulder pain is agonising.

Reactions: 2 people

Jackie100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks flowerpot both shoulders ouch lol to be honest I'm really not looking forward to it but I have to try something . Yes he does intend injecting after op into the joint so yes I will have to watch that thanks anyway everyone I'll let you know how it goes x