Supplements / vitamin suggestions

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lipids -Apparently 7 ish think but was told but would be higher if stopped.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Lipids -Apparently 7 ish think but was told but would be higher if stopped.
Total cholesterol is basically a meaningless number; you need to know your triglycerides, HDL and LDL cholesterol levels before you can make an informed decision about whether you need statins and whether the side effects are worth it.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Nothing conclusive and there's evidence to support both sides. To be honest, I wouldn't doubt it works largely due to the placebo effect.

Like I said, I no longer take it, but my father (a long distance runner) swears by the stuff.
What does "both sides" mean? If you know of any evidence to support its effectiveness, please provide it. Do you think charging money for placebo effect is ethical?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What does "both sides" mean? If you know of any evidence to support its effectiveness, please provide it. Do you think charging money for placebo effect is ethical?
"Both sides" means that some clinical trials showed evidence that glucosamine when combined with chondroitin DID reduce the effects of osteoarthritis when both chemicals were introduced early in the progression of AO. There are also plenty of studies that found no evidence it did anything at all.

The study that did show a link was known as the LEGS Trail if you care to read about the findings (which I admit are weak at best)

I'm not going to have a conversation about ethics and I'm not suggesting the the combo is guaranteed to work (there's a reason I don't take it anymore), but there is no evidence to suggest it's harmful and at $10/bottle it may be worth a try before resorting to more serious treatments.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
"Both sides" means that some clinical trials showed evidence that glucosamine when combined with chondroitin DID reduce the effects of osteoarthritis when both chemicals were introduced early in the progression of AO. There are also plenty of studies that found no evidence it did anything at all.

The study that did show a link was known as the LEGS Trail if you care to read about the findings (which I admit are weak at best)

I'm not going to have a conversation about ethics and I'm not suggesting the the combo is guaranteed to work (there's a reason I don't take it anymore), but there is no evidence to suggest it's harmful and at $10/bottle it may be worth a try before resorting to more serious treatments.
I'm not convinced it has any effectiveness beyond placebo. If a person's symptoms are likely caused by a statin, then reviewing whether the statin is even needed would be where I would start.

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does berroca have an impact on blood sugars?? This is something I took before diagnosis but haven't been brave enough to try!! It really helped when I felt a cold coming!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Does berroca have an impact on blood sugars?? This is something I took before diagnosis but haven't been brave enough to try!! It really helped when I felt a cold coming!
There's no scientific evidence that taking extra vitamins helps prevent or treat colds.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Vitamin D3, Alpha Lipoic Acid and Benfotiamine, plus Zinc, Magnesium and Omega 3 caps.

Basically try and manage oxidation within the cell structure to reduce the risk of complications.

Same as Tim except I also have oregano capsules now. Also have a multi vitamin and extra vit C chewable tablet and garlic tablet.

Hospital have stopped me from having garlic and oregano pre op but continue with the rest. Keeps me healthy with diabetes but not staved off cancer!!

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
CATLADYNZ
Thanks for advice will ensure I ask for appropriate information at next apt. My legs are the worst multiple stairs and hills are now a challenge.

Reactions: 2 people

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oops sorry didn't intend to cause debate on Glucosamine. I also know people who say it has helped them. Thanks for feedback/ information.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oops sorry didn't intend to cause debate on Glucosamine. I also know people who say it has helped them. Thanks for feedback/ information.
There's no need to apologise, I think it's good to discuss treatments and share information about them. I think we all just want effective and safe treatments, at the end of the day.

Emilyprice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have recently discovered that niacin can cause macular problems (I have macular edema and retinopathy) and this can be found in b12.. Thought it might be worth mentioning to anyone with eye issues too! I take vit d, and multi vitamin too.

TomB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a T1 for 50 years. I needed D-vitamins and last year increasement from 46 to 87 nmol/L. I would like 120-150.
I also take vitamin K2 and depression pills Zoloft 150 mg.
I needed to stabilize the depression mood 30 years ago.

I have none diabetic T1 or T2 in the family. My HbA1c has been steady at 108-112 mg/dl for 30 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's no scientific evidence that taking extra vitamins helps prevent or treat colds.

But there's evidence that zinc can shorten the duration of a cold - by a third to a half, if I remember correctly.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
But there's evidence that zinc can shorten the duration of a cold - by a third to a half, if I remember correctly.
Sounds interesting, do you have a link to the evidence?

C

catherinecherub

This is what the NHS has to say about zinc.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/05may/Pages/Zinc-shortens-common-cold.aspx

Conclusion
For many years, it has been suggested that zinc supplements could relieve the symptoms of the common cold, but there was little clarity until a 2011 evidence review. This recent review suggested a modest reduction in the length of symptoms, although the results were not entirely conclusive. In a bid to help clarify the matter, researchers have conducted another review of evidence on this issue.

It suggests that zinc may help shorten the common cold. However, as with the previous reviews, the results are undermined by the high variability between trials in terms of their methods, study population and treatment aspects (such as zinc dosage and when zinc was first taken). In addition, while zinc may help shorten a cold, it also seems to have side effects such as nausea and an unpleasant taste. As the authors point out, large-scale randomised trials would be needed to assess whether the potential benefits of zinc outweigh the side effects, as well as what dose might be optimal. However, colds are a minor illness for most people, so whether such a trial is warranted is debatable.

From a nutritional perspective, the recommended daily intake of zinc is 5.5–9.5mg a day for men, and 4–7mg a day for women. It should be possible to obtain this amount through a normal balanced diet. If supplementary zinc is taken, the Food Standards Agency and Department of Health recommend that no more than 25mg a day is taken, as too much may cause anaemia and weakening of the bones.

Reactions: 2 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I remember as a child being given Zinc. tablets when I had a cold does anyone else remember? Ok it's a long time ago (over 60 years)
CAROL