Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
IF worked for me when my bg was up really high. I got it down from over 32 to just over 25 with low carbing alone. That took about a week. Then another four weeks using IF combined with low carbing to get me down to the 4s and 5s. I then decided to work at reducing my insulin injections (Yes, those high numbers included morning and evening long acting insulin injections.) It took another month of IF and low carbing before I stopped the injections and its been six weeks since my last injection.

My version of IF was to fast for two non-consecutive days each week. One for 24 hours and the other for 18-19 hours with a day in between. So long as you check your bg very frequently there shouldn't be a problem. If you need to you can break your fast at any time.

Reactions: 2 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
IF worked for me when my bg was up really high. I got it down from over 32 to just over 25 with low carbing alone. That took about a week. Then another four weeks using IF combined with low carbing to get me down to the 4s and 5s. I then decided to work at reducing my insulin injections (Yes, those high numbers included morning and evening long acting insulin injections.) It took another month of IF and low carbing before I stopped the injections and its been six weeks since my last injection.

My version of IF was to fast for two non-consecutive days each week. One for 24 hours and the other for 18-19 hours with a day in between. So long as you check your bg very frequently there shouldn't be a problem. If you need to you can break your fast at any time.

That's really useful info for me Chook as like you I'm up in the high 20's despite high doses of insulin and tablets .I've stopped the insulin and have been fasting today and sure enough by bg's are actually reading lower .I'm monitoring them every 2 hours but there's little danger of a hypo for me just yet :) I'm trying fasting for 24 hours twice a week .

Reactions: 3 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with it @Susiespearish :)

I think a lot of his patients start out doing alternate day fasting, but I went straight to 16/8 compressed eating window. I find it works really well for me and I don't feel at all deprived. It seems to suit my lifestyle and circadian rhythms. I especialy find my sleep is improved on an empty stomach.

nymple

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have also started to experiment with Fasting following a read of this post and then devouring everything on Dr Fung's website. I was also hovering around the 15-20 and through a combination of LCHF and currently about 4 fasts (2 x 24hours and 2 x 36+ hours) I have managed to get my numbers down to a 4-7 average over the past 2 weeks. I am still having troubles with a liver dump in the morning but the numbers don't seem to be jumping as high as quickly and they also tail off a lot sooner. I'm not sure if this is a product of lower numbers in general or the fasting but I'm quite chuffed with this result either way. I'm rather happy about the effortless weight loss too!

I also have found it surprising easy to manage and to fit in to my life. To the point that I only intended to do 2 x 24 hour fasts a week and both weeks have ended up extending one of the fasts, just because I can.

Having a lot of issues around food (dont we all?), I find it rather satisfying to use fasting to prove to myself that a lot of things I tell myself about food and my own willpower are wrong. I WILL survive if I don't eat regularly. Hunger DOES pass. Eating DOESN'T always make me feel better. I CAN resist those trigger foods that I tell myself that I can't. I AM actually in control of things, I'm not subject to the whim of my appetite and cravings.

Just wanted to pop out of lurking to thank everyone for the helpful information they have contributed to this post as I have found it so useful! :)

Reactions: 9 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck with it @Susiespearish :)

I think a lot of his patients start out doing alternate day fasting, but I went straight to 16/8 compressed eating window. I find it works really well for me and I don't feel at all deprived. It seems to suit my lifestyle and circadian rhythms. I especialy find my sleep is improved on an empty stomach.

One thing puzzles me Indy .Why are you limiting your calories when everything shown by Dr Fung tells you that your body will just limit your TEE ?? :)
The reason I was looking at fasting is due to a friend (Chris) who almost effortlessly dropped six stone using the 2/5 method. Diabetes gone and six years on still fasting but eats anything and everything on the five days .

That's wonderful @nymple so great to hear ! I had my lowest ever morning reading this morning despite eating cauliflower cheese and a squash soup after fasting yesterday ! I've decided to fast today too.I'm finding it relatively easy and today I have energy !

Last edited by a moderator:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Having a lot of issues around food (dont we all?), I find it rather satisfying to use fasting to prove to myself that a lot of things I tell myself about food and my own willpower are wrong. I WILL survive if I don't eat regularly. Hunger DOES pass. Eating DOESN'T always make me feel better. I CAN resist those trigger foods that I tell myself that I can't. I AM actually in control of things, I'm not subject to the whim of my appetite and cravings.
:)

You have managed to put in to words EXACTLY how I have ended up feeling about IF. I definitely feel more in control of what and when I eat and, as you say, don't panic if I haven't got the next two meals planned.

Reactions: 5 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One thing puzzles me Indy .Why are you limiting your calories when everything shown by Dr Fung tells you that your body will just limit your TEE ?? :)
The reason I was looking at fasting is due to a friend (Chris) who almost effortlessly dropped six stone using the 2/5 method Diabetes gone and six years on still fasting but eats anything and everything on the five days .

That's wonderful @nymple so great to hear ! I had my lowest ever morning reading this morning despite eating cauliflower cheese and a squash soup after fasting yesterday ! I've decided to fast today too.I'm finding it relatively easy and today I have energy !
I wasn't limiting my calories by a huge amount (usually around 1,400-1,600), while I was actively trying to lose weight. I didn't have masses of weight to lose and had plateaued, so I restricted calories in the beginning to try and lose the 6-7 kgs I'd regained since my initial weight loss on diagnosis. When I plateaued again, I upped my calories and average anywhere between 2,000 and 2,300 now and am maintaining the weight loss by continuing to IF. I think women of a certain age have to work harder at weight loss and maintenance - well, at least I do.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have also started to experiment with Fasting following a read of this post and then devouring everything on Dr Fung's website. I was also hovering around the 15-20 and through a combination of LCHF and currently about 4 fasts (2 x 24hours and 2 x 36+ hours) I have managed to get my numbers down to a 4-7 average over the past 2 weeks. I am still having troubles with a liver dump in the morning but the numbers don't seem to be jumping as high as quickly and they also tail off a lot sooner. I'm not sure if this is a product of lower numbers in general or the fasting but I'm quite chuffed with this result either way. I'm rather happy about the effortless weight loss too!

I also have found it surprising easy to manage and to fit in to my life. To the point that I only intended to do 2 x 24 hour fasts a week and both weeks have ended up extending one of the fasts, just because I can.

Just wanted to pop out of lurking to thank everyone for the helpful information they have contributed to this post as I have found it so useful! :)
What an inspirational post! Excellent news and so glad it's working for you :)

Reactions: 3 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
We certainly do @Indy51 ! As Chook has stated I think @nymple has expressed wonderfully how we all feel about food in general and this lifestyle breaks the constant cycle of feeling failure .

Mafat

Hi Everyone.......

I need your help.I am in IF 24 HOUR CYCLE WITH LCHF Diet & my A1C is 6.1 mg/dL ( mmol/L) but still struggling with Dawn Phenomenon & my FBG in morning varies between 8 & 9.8 mg/dL ( mmol/L) . My dinner time is 6 PM. & do not eat anything after 6.30 PM. The BG before bed time is under 6 mg/dL ( mmol/L. Let me have your thoughts & suggestions.

TYPE 2 Since 1996-Mostly controlled with Diet & Exercise & Since last two years my doctor put me on Metformin 1000 MG three time a day & I refused to take beyond 500 MG once a day & that too before dinner.

Thanks.

MF

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone.......

I need your help.I am in IF 24 HOUR CYCLE WITH LCHF Diet & my A1C is 6.1 mg/dL ( mmol/L) but still struggling with Dawn Phenomenon & my FBG in morning varies between 8 & 9.8 mg/dL ( mmol/L) . My dinner time is 6 PM. & do not eat anything after 6.30 PM. The BG before bed time is under 6 mg/dL ( mmol/L. Let me have your thoughts & suggestions.

TYPE 2 Since 1996-Mostly controlled with Diet & Exercise & Since last two years my doctor put me on Metformin 1000 MG three time a day & I refused to take beyond 500 MG once a day & that too before dinner.

Thanks.

MF
Hi Mafat

Could you try taking your Metformin before bed .I had some reasonable results with this and the Dawn Phenomenon .It's long acting over 12 hours and so runs out before we wake .I'm sure your morning reading probably normalises after a cuppa and some breakfast .What are your readings two hours after breakfast.If your readings are around 6 for most of the day I wouldn't be worried by the Dawn Phenomenon as it's the sustained high readings that do most damage :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mafat

Thanks so much.I will start taking Metformin at bed time & watch FBG. The readings after two cup of tea with little cream is around 9 & after then its around 6 mg/dL ( mmol/L).Since I plan to remain on 24 hours of Fasting I skip breakfast. I have also noticed that morning exercise within 3 hours after first cup of tea is counter productive as it raises BG. Hence I have started exercising after four hours which stabilize the sugar level throughout the day. I am glad that you suggested not to worry about Dawn Phenomenon.

Thanks once again

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Indy51 Can I ask how your weights reacting to the 16/8 fasting schedule ? For some reason I'm finding the 24 hour a struggle the last week.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Part 17 of Dr Fung's fasting series - Fasting and Hunger:
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-and-hunger-fasting-17/

I am a big Dr Fung fan (as well as Prof Taylor) and we are so lucky to have these practitioners on the diabetes platform delving into the causes, and therefore the solutions to diabetes.

But, as long as I have been reading up on both these dudes, I personally don't believe they do we diabetics any favours by making blanket statements about the ease of the fasting treatment (and the low-cal treatment a la Taylor). I was surprised to read in the Part 17 -
"Here’s the ‘spare me the details’ bottom line.... No, You will NOT be overwhelmed with hunger."

And anyone who has read me knows - I am one of those folk who experiences hunger very keenly. Some other folks in the forum also do. So I get surprised when I hear/read such as that from the practitioners. (Please - bear in mind I am a BIG fan!) And I cannot express more how delighted/relieved/interested I am with fasting as a medication-less method of dealing with diabetes. But. In passing on the effectiveness and sound theoretical basis of fasting as an excellent method - I would not underplay the what can sometimes, for some folk, be uncomfortable hunger, uncomfortable weakness. And, even, maybe - it could be experienced as overwhelming.

I personally don't know if a leptin imbalance is the reason for me experiencing hunger and weakness from lack of food, or, (which I think is more likely, as these are traits I share with family members) - a keen appetite, or a bit of both, but, whatever the reason, it is the reality for me, and it always has been as long as I can remember. I doubt that I am alone! (I know I am not alone in this amongst my siblings, who had nicknames like 'Hollow Legs' and so on in our youth.) (I was the one in the family who had metabolic syndrome though.) But there must be a fair amount of foodies, gourmants, chefs, and - just folk, out there who love the sensation of food and eating more than others, as a sensory thing, who as part of their make-up feel very sensitive to food, and the lack of. ie folk such as me must be a part of the general spectrum of humans! And therefore also diabetics.

It is far more helpful for me, and is why I bring this up (probably too constantly!) in fasting (and in the low-cal) threads - to acknowledge the possibility of uncomfortable hunger. Much better to put it out there as a very real possible outcome of fasting - so it doesn't come as a shock? Rather than say it doesn't happen. (So the faster does not have possible feelings of inadequacy? And give up on fasting too soon?) And introduce ways of dealing with unpleasant/uncomfortable (even possibly feeing overwhelming - to us Dr Fung's word) - is my thought on the subject at any rate. Just putting it out there.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm fasting today. I find if/when I feel intense hunger it's usually when I'm not busy doing something. The killer for me is watching TV. I find drinking a glass of ice cold spring or mineral water then making myself busy is enough to get over it. BUT fasting has taught me that feeling hunger (however intense) isn't going to kill me. I test my bg every hour or two and find it reassuring when intense hunger doesn't coincide with low bg however if my bg were to be below 4 I would break my fast immediately.

Reactions: 4 people

Mafat

Chook,

Thanks for your posting.Would be interesting know various readings while you are fasting. Exercise during your fasting will burn fat & sugar fast & there are many other benefits too.You may want to consider later.