Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

exrn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am at 79 down from 109 after realising I have insulin resistance. Could anyone please explain those numbers to me? I am aware its not good, but what does this actually mean for me?

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you search for HbA1c converter on tbe site there is a good calculator.

109 12.1% or BS average 16.7
79 9.4% or BS average 12.3

At least it is coming down which is good.

Reactions: 4 people

exrn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you search for HbA1c converter on tbe site there is a good calculator.

109 12.1% or BS average 16.7
79 9.4% or BS average 12.3

At least it is coming down which is good.

Yeah. I dont feel any different from having a high hba1c and a lower one :-/

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All you can.do is.keep working on it and as it lowers even more you should start to notice the difference.

exrn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All you can.do is.keep working on it and as it lowers even more you should start to notice the difference.
I inject stupid amounts of insulin for it to be at the level its at now. I run at a steady 5.0 - 7.0 with the 72 units of lantus on a fasting test.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its such a hard balancing act trying to get everything right. Im T2 diet controlled so I guess for the moment at least I am in control but I dread the day that I may no longer have any control.

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
having to take medication
Mine was tested 4 weeks ago when I was diagnosed and it was 10.9 apparently

just realised this is in T1 thread I'm T2 no idea if that makes a difference in the meaning of the numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:

exrn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was tested 4 weeks ago when I was diagnosed and it was 10.9 apparently
I was very fit when I got diagnosed too. I suppose being a street fighter kept you fit yeah? That's how it always goes though eh. The healthy ones become sick and the smokers live forever!!!

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
I inject stupid amounts of insulin for it to be at the level its at now. I run at a steady 5.0 - 7.0 with the 72 units of lantus on a fasting test.

Without knowing anything else about you, that sounds like you need to ask for the 300u/ml version of lantus, or tests on insulin resistance (and meds to treat it if positive), or perhaps a fundamental review of your lifestyle.

In the meantime, get hold of:
a) Dr Berstein's Diabetes Solution,
b) "Your Diabetes Science experiment" by Ginger Vieira,
c) "Think like a pancreas" by Gary Scheiner

They'll all give you a better understanding of diabetes and how to improve your health (as will questions on this forum! )

exrn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Without knowing anything else about you, that sounds like you need to ask for the 300u/ml version of lantus, or tests on insulin resistance (and meds to treat it if positive), or perhaps a fundamental review of your lifestyle.

In the meantime, get hold of:
a) Dr Berstein's Diabetes Solution,
b) "Your Diabetes Science experiment" by Ginger Vieira,
c) "Think like a pancreas" by Gary Scheiner

They'll all give you a better understanding of diabetes and how to improve your health (as will questions on this forum! )
I was on insulin resistance tablets but I have allergic reactions to them. There is nothing at all wrong with my lifestyle. I am ideal weight for my height, I eat very healthy, I don't smoke, I very very rarely drink...perhaps once every six months or so. It has been suggested that I swap insulin again. I was originally on levemir and rapid then switched to novamix30 then to lantus and rapid. They switch me everytime i go into hospital because of the problems of controlling my bm whilst on sliding scale. It baffles the doctors and nurses and they just throw different things at me as an experiment. I am about to go for tests for sleep apnea and have already been tested for high hgh which came back high. Points to acromegaly which alongside t1 diabetes presents an absolute nightmare if that's the case.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I was on insulin resistance tablets but I have allergic reactions to them. There is nothing at all wrong with my lifestyle. I am ideal weight for my height, I eat very healthy, I don't smoke, I very very rarely drink...perhaps once every six months or so. It has been suggested that I swap insulin again. I was originally on levemir and rapid then switched to novamix30 then to lantus and rapid. They switch me everytime i go into hospital because of the problems of controlling my bm whilst on sliding scale. It baffles the doctors and nurses and they just throw different things at me as an experiment. I am about to go for tests for sleep apnea and have already been tested for high hgh which came back high. Points to acromegaly which alongside t1 diabetes presents an absolute nightmare if that's the case.

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for sharing - it goes to show that there's usually more to gaining good control than the usual mantra.

Do ask them about the lantus 300 (or maybe it's 500u/ml)... it's three to five times stronger than u100, which would lower the quantities needed per day. It is licensed by NICE; they use it on some patients in Bucks.

Johnroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many
Apologies again Aginoth, this is type one thread and I am type two. My levels have not been good for a few weeks. Was worried about my codefree strips but got some recent readings of 5.7 but then I have been back with some high readings. Erratic I afraid. Must control my eating better. Apologies again for straying into the thread.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Apologies again Aginoth, this is type one thread and I am type two. My levels have not been good for a few weeks. Was worried about my codefree strips but got some recent readings of 5.7 but then I have been back with some high readings. Erratic I afraid. Must control my eating better. Apologies again for straying into the thread.

Personally, I don't see why this thread is for T1's only.

HbA1c is applicable to all PWD's and T2's may also be on insulin.

As for your eating habits, check out the low carb thread - it's really helped me with regaining control and focus.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

As for your eating habits, check out the low carb thread - it's really helped me with regaining control and focus.
I think that it is meant for Type 1s because the different types can expect different results, basically. And if a Type 2 has a high FBG the solution is different from when a Type 1 has a high FBG.

I don't find it useful, helpful or motivating to compare my blood sugars with someone with a different Type, to be honest. It doesn't mean I don't care what happens to Type 2s, it just amounts to a kind of thread hijack, especially when people start discussing how to deal with it.

I mean, lots of Type 2s do post on here, and I don't object, but it is not helpful for me. I actually thought there was another thread for this in the Type 2 forum. Isn't there?

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Because it's in the Type 1 forum, simples....... :)

Reactions: 6 people

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that it is meant for Type 1s because the different types can expect different results, basically. And if a Type 2 has a high FBG the solution is different from when a Type 1 has a high FBG.

I don't find it useful, helpful or motivating to compare my blood sugars with someone with a different Type, to be honest. It doesn't mean I don't care what happens to Type 2s, it just amounts to a kind of thread hijack, especially when people start discussing how to deal with it.

I mean, lots of Type 2s do post on here, and I don't object, but it is not helpful for me. I actually thought there was another thread for this in the Type 2 forum. Isn't there?

Sorry to be ignorant, I'm new to all this so this will be a really stupid question

But..

What's the difference in solutions to high FB in type 1 and 2

Got scared of asking this question and tried to delete but it wouldn't let me! :(