Diabetes & pregnancy

J2danet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
anyone on here pregnant with diabetes or has been pregnant? How do u eat accordingly and manage ur sugars? How do u manage cravings?

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi J2danet, I think there's a few of us currently pregnant. Are you type 2?

I'm 33+5 with type 1 diabetes, so my management is probably a fair bit different if you're T2. Sugar management has been a roller coaster the entire time and it seems like that's the same for most whether T1 or T2.

jade88

Welcome to the forum!
I'm type 1 currently 24+6 weeks pregnant. I spent 6 months at a preconception clinic getting my hbac1 low enough to conceive. Now pregnant I test 8-10 times a day and have weekly call with my diabetic midwife to discuss my ratios and make any adjustments.
In regards to cravings sometimes you have to give in but I try to eat healthily the majority of the time. Are you pregnant or just considering conceiving? xxx

J2danet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1 actually and miscarried at 7 weeks my ha1c is terrible and my endocrinologist said it was best that that happened to me he said I need to get a better hold of my sugars before I can even think about conceiving I'm actually going to start going to carb management classes and tomorrow I begin my glucose management in preparation for the insulin pump

J2danet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My gyno thinks I prob miscarried bc my sugars are so crazy after my miscarriage I tried to conceive for 2 weeks and just got my period exactly 4 weeks after my miscarriage in afraid I won't be able to conceive or I will miscarry again I guess it's best that I worry about myself first before trying anything

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really sorry to hear that.
What is your hba1c at the moment then?

I couldn't have been through either pregnancy I don't think without the pump especially as suffer terribly with dawn phenomenon and the joy of night feeding twins is now sending them plummeting so the opposite.

Reactions: 2 people

J2danet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I never wanted the pump bc I didn't want to feel like something was attached to me nor did I want people asking me what that it but I'm at the point now where it can possibly save my life and if I ever want to conceive again save my future babies life

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear about your struggles. 8.3 is a little high but not outrageous by any means. I was 7.9 last November and I believe I was 7.3 when I conceived - a bit higher than my doctor wanted but she had no concerns. My doctor actually doesn't like to see people below 6 when pregnant because she feels it's likely too many lows are happening in that case. My last A1C at 28 weeks was 6.3 - I don't get anymore while pregnant because my doctor also feels they're unreliable in later pregnancy. Different doctors definitely have different standards for what they want to see. It's also entirely possible your miscarriage was unrelated to your diabetes.

It sounds like you're on the right track and doing everything you can to start getting a bit tighter control. Pregnancy with T1 is a roller coaster and even though the guidelines are strict, they're impossible to stick to all the time.

I initially didn't want the pump because of having something attached to me, but 15 years later I can't imagine life without it. I often hide mine in what I'm wearing and rarely get asked about it anymore. Most people used to think it was a cell phone or pager when I used to wear it obviously.

Definitely check out the pregnancy toolkit - https://www.jdrf.org.uk/news/latest...ncy-toolkit-for-uk-women-with-type-1-diabetes

I also got the book Balancing Pregnancy with Pre-Existing Diabetes. It's from the US so I wrote in mmol numbers. At the start of pregnancy I found it stressed me out a bit to read it, but more recently it's been a help.

J2danet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank u all for ur responses I will definitely look Into buying books when I decide to conceive again so I can try to ease any stress I might have.. I just need to get a better grip on myself before I can bring anyone else into the picture.. Good luck to all you currently pregnant.. Wishing all the mommies and babies a happy and healthy pregnancy and delivery

Reactions: 2 people

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My bloods were all over the place when I was pregnant (t1) so bad that I had to spend around 5 months in the hospital.

As for the cravings, it was only cheese with me so it didnt effect my sugars too much.

Even to this day (9yrs later) I could eat cheese all day and still want more lol.

Sorry to hear about your miscarriage but as they say, 'everything happens for a reason', I miscarried 5months before I fell pregnant with my little girl and I changed soooo much in that time.

Good luck for when you feel the time is right.

J2danet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank u my primary goal right now is to get my a1c down I'm finally meeting with a diabetic nutritionist and all.. I need to be healthy before I can have a baby :)

Reactions: 4 people