Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
(1) Diabetes :)
(2) Being told what to do
(3) Seagulls (3a) Seagulls that poo on my car
4) Vimto
On the last insurance renewal quote I did if answering 'yes' to the do you have a medical condition the DVLA need to be aware of, 2 additional responses were required:

1) DVLA 'Aware' or 2) DVLA 'Unaware'

As a T2 on diet & Metformin tablet control who has never had a hypo the guideline on the DVLA website suggest I don't need to tell them.

By not calling them and telling them, on the basis I would be told I don't need to inform them as per their guidelines are they effectively 'unaware' of my condition?

The reason I ask is it adds about £100 to my insurance policy price if I were to select the 'yes' & 'unaware' options. Have I interpreted this correctly? Do I actually have a medical condition that needs to be declared to the DVLA based on my current treatment?

Thanks in advance

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On the last insurance renewal quote I did if answering 'yes' to the do you have a medical condition the DVLA need to be aware of, 2 additional responses were required:

As a T2 on diet & Metformin tablet control who has never had a hypo the guideline on the DVLA website suggest I don't need to tell them.

By not calling them and telling them, on the basis I would be told I don't need to inform them as per their guidelines are they effectively 'unaware' of my condition?

The reason I ask is it adds about £100 to my insurance policy price if I were to select the 'yes' & 'unaware' options. Have I interpreted this correctly? Do I actually have a medical condition that needs to be declared to the DVLA based on my current treatment?

Thanks in advance

Hi

I have the same situation in that I have just been diagnosed type 2 Diabetes
I have been told by my insurance company that I must inform all insurance companies and the DVLA

If you are involved in an accident the police can demand a blood glucose test and you can be charged with driving under the influence of drugs. If you face such a charge your insurance company can refuse to pay out, as you were in breech of your driving licence. If everyone knows the situation then there is no loophole for the insurance company to refuse payment.

I spoke to the DVLA today and they just add a note on their system

In addition my insurance company have told me that I must take blood readings twice per day and each time I am about to drive

You say that you premium will increase by £100 which I know sounds a lot but to have your insurance nullified can be a lot worse as you can be charged with driving without insurance.

I had a similar situation last year when a pedestrian stepped off the kerb when I was eight feet away from him. The Police told me that my insurance was invalid through "withholding information" and if the guy died I faced going to prison for 14 years through "causing a death whilst driving an uninsured vehicle"

If you consider what I went through an extra £100 is a small price to pay

Regards

Martin

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
'As a T2 on diet & Metformin tablet control who has never had a hypo the guideline on the DVLA website suggest I don't need to tell them. '

This is correct,
You don't need to tell them, therefore you do not have a condition the DVLA need to be aware off.

So the answer should be no.

Reactions: 8 people
C

catherinecherub

I am bumping this post up as there needs to be some clarity in the advice being offered with regard to the OPs questions..

Two articles that help you understand your obligations @Shep1001

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Living_with_diabetes/Driving/

As Type2s are lucky if they get test strips, especially if they only use Metformin, then to suggest that an Insurance Company has the authority to tell these drivers when to test makes me wonder if the Insurance Company mentioned in another post is going to provide these? I would also shop around if your Insurance is upping your premiums.

There are plenty of forum members who drive and who take Metformin and I hope they will reply.

Reactions: 4 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No need to inform DVLA, you must notify your insurer.
My insurance companies have not wanted to know unless I have had to inform the DVLA

Reactions: 8 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Your car insurance company can't discriminate against you by charging £100 extra because of the diabetes unless your medical condition directly effects your ability to drive making you a higher risk on the road. Type 2 on metaformin is not a dvla notifiable condition so my advice - Find another (honest, ethical and decent) insurance company!!!

Reactions: 4 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/193054/INF188-2_1_.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/455115/INF188X2_080413.pdf

And normally no need to inform your insurer, as the DVLA have decided it does not affect your ability to drive.
In fact, if it was a disability, you cannot be discriminated against under the Equality Act 2010.

The £100 is probably as you stated you are driving with a medical condition the DVLA should be aware of, but you haven't told them.
I'm surprised they offered insurance, as you have effectively admitted you are driving in breach of the requirements of your licence, so technically have no valid licence to drive.
(It's not true you haven't, as the 'yes' is incorrect, but the insurer won't know that)

Last edited by a moderator:

Doug53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Noisey kids (I've got 2 of them).

Thanks in advance
I've been T2 since 2012. The hospital told me to tell DVLA and my insurance as I was a courier at the time. I told both that I was T2 and it was being controlled by tablets and diet. Basically they both said that if my GP was happy for me to continue driving then I can keep my licence and insurance as it is. My insurance is with "Quote my Happy" which is part of the Aviva group I believe. On my insurance I always put "DVLA Aware" as I did tell them and got a reply by Email as proof. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 people

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
'As a T2 on diet & Metformin tablet control who has never had a hypo the guideline on the DVLA website suggest I don't need to tell them. '

This is correct,
You don't need to tell them, therefore you do not have a condition the DVLA need to be aware off.

So the answer should be no.
I agree with the above I rang my insurance told them I was type 2 on medication and because it was metformin said there would b no changes and I didn't need to inform the DVLA so I havnt.

AndyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with the above I rang my insurance told them I was type 2 on medication and because it was metformin said there would b no changes and I didn't need to inform the DVLA so I havnt.
There is no requirement to notify DVLA if you are a T2 on tablets. Therefore there is no need to notify your insurance company either as your condition is not reportable to DVLA. I believe it becomes notifiable if you have to take Insulin to control your Diabetis. I also belive that the law changed in relation to Cab drivers who have to notify DVLA and self test on a regular basis as there is a potential risk to passengers.

Kjosh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
When I went on insulin I had to let dvla know, and they have restricted my licence to 3 years, I then have to apply for it to be renewed. I am 63 and been on insulin since April this year.

Apple tree

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks in advance
Hi there when I was doing mine I just phoned them up and told them and said I'm just phoning so you are aware they just said thankyou they would make a note of it but it didn't make any difference to my policy has I wasn't on insulin so I didn't have to pay anymore.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My doctor said I didn't need to advise DVLA as T2 on Metformin. He said I should notify my insurance company which I did and they said they would make a note but as T2 on Metformin wouldn't make a difference.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is no requirement to notify DVLA if you are a T2 on tablets. Therefore there is no need to notify your insurance company either as your condition is not reportable to DVLA. I believe it becomes notifiable if you have to take Insulin to control your Diabetis. I also belive that the law changed in relation to Cab drivers who have to notify DVLA and self test on a regular basis as there is a potential risk to passengers.

Correct , up until 2 months ago I was a bus driver (PCV) and even I didn't need to tell DVLA or insurance as T2 on Metformin and diet and never had a hypo...

Worked for First Group, a massive company and believe me their HR is very on the ball on these things...

Strangely my boss (also T2) takes some other stuff (not insulin) gliclazide etc and he can still drive but has to test before he drives a bus, in front of someone.... (not sure whether this came from DLVA or the company tho)

denbo

Correct , up until 2 months ago I was a bus driver (PCV) and even I didn't need to tell DVLA or insurance as T2 on Metformin and diet and never had a hypo...

Worked for First Group, a massive company and believe me their HR is very on the ball on these things...

Strangely my boss (also T2) takes some other stuff (not insulin) gliclazide etc and he can still drive but has to test before he drives a bus, in front of someone.... (not sure whether this came from DLVA or the company tho)
It's the law anyone driving especially hgv av check their blood sugars every 2hrs and check before u start driving and carry provisions (lucazade or jelly babies and biscuits )

Pipey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

Thanks in advance
This is the info from the DVLA, you can also download it from their website.
Please look at the picture

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1445460786.244511.jpg

Wilki.356

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope you have done it by now, but you must inform the DVLA of your condition.

It is then noted on the system. As long as you haven't had a Hypo and never been to hospital because of it then it does not matter whether you are type 2, or on medication.
Read the medication instructions to see it's side affects and if it affects driving. Ask your doctor and pharmacist. Many people drive on different medications for different illnesses. It is only when you have had serious treatment, i.e. hospitalized, that you must inform them and may be put on a limited driving license. For example, every 3 years with consultation of your doctor, until given the all clear.

Remember to take your testing meter when you drive.This is a requirement by law, so you can test if you feel ill and rest if necessary.

Stock up on some medication (water to help swallow meds), glucose tablets or jelly babies to boost low glucose levels (to avoid hypo's) for long journey's. Pack a small lunch or low carb snacks if necessary, as petrol station food is just junk and will spike your levels.

As everybody has mentioned, the law stipulates you cannot discriminate against the disease, this applies to the DVLA and nor can the insurance company. If the DVLA don't see it as a problem nether can they.

I would say the police officer is wrong, they don't know everything and obviously not versed in diabetes. Take all the necessary precautions and inform the right people.

If it puts your mind at rest, check your levels before you drive.

Seek another insurance company.

Take care.

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been told that because I am on gliclazide I need to test before driving and every two hours into a long journey. I'm also on metformin but that alone didn't require me to test. I've informed DVLA but they didn't seem particularly bothered by it. I also inform my insurers, just in case.

Apple tree

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am bumping this post up as there needs to be some clarity in the advice being offered with regard to the OPs questions..

Two articles that help you understand your obligations @Shep1001

As Type2s are lucky if they get test strips, especially if they only use Metformin, then to suggest that an Insurance Company has the authority to tell these drivers when to test makes me wonder if the Insurance Company mentioned in another post is going to provide these? I would also shop around if your Insurance is upping your premiums.

There are plenty of forum members who drive and who take Metformin and I hope they will reply.

This is the info from the DVLA, you can also download it from their website.
Please look at the picture

View attachment 16225
I have my car insurance with Hastings I phoned them up and told them I have type 2 and I am on met forming tablets and they just said thankyou for letting us know we will just make a note that you have rang but it doesn't make any difference to my policy now I have let them know and there wSnt any extra premiums to be paid, so maybe that's the best thing to do x