Help me sort my diet !

MacFee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok want to try HFLC but I'm confused a bit , could I do 50g carb a day or is that too high ? What should I aim for ?

Also atruggle with what veg to eat really hate cooked veg and allergic to others and some fruit .

I eat a lot of salad veg .

I just had bacon and eggs for breakfast , but how many rashers would you normally have , I had a late breakfast because I won't manage lunch today going to be in hairdressers for a few hours X

Need ideas for lunches at work , I have a very physical job at times so needs to be filling xx

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Hi
At the top of this forum there's a thread called "What did you eat today". It's a long thread but lots of people show the kind of food we eat each day. Plus there are ideas for foods that can replace bread, pasta and rice. Not to mention the lovely peanut butter mug cake (1 egg, two tablespoons peanut butter, a bit of vanilla and artificial sweetener if you like - mix it all in a big mug - then 90 seconds in the microwave - instant cake!!)

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi MacFee.

Vegetables - on Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) you don't need to have plain boiled or steamed vegetables. Have a Google for flavoured butters. They are simple to make, you can often keep them in the freezer in a long butter sausage in greaseproof paper and just slice a chunk off when you want some.

Kerrygold does a garlic and herb butter and Lurpak does a garlic butter if you're in a rush.

This is a pretty simple recipe for steamed veggie with garlic butter sauce made fresh. You may find that cooked carrots spike your blood glucose, you might not.
http://blog.weangreen.com/steamed-vegetables-with-garlic-butter-sauce/

Bearnaise sauce and Hollandaise doesn't use flour but if you don't cook much, you can buy them in jars.

It's been said that boiling new potatoes, cooling and storing in the fridge, then making into potato salad with mayo and chives makes them lower carb, but you'd need to test blood glucose. Some people find raw carrots spike them, some don't.

If you aren't using high sugar store-bought dressings, then pretty much any vinegar other than balsamic can be used in a dressing. You just mix oil (olive, avocado, sunflower, rapeseed/canola) with vinegar or even lemon or lime juice. Bung in mustard or herbs or salt and pepper, make sure that you taste it and that it's thoroughly mixed. Or you can buy mayo, IMO Hellmann's is the best and you want the full fat stuff. There's no rule that says you can't plonk mayo or dressing on your plain veggies either - really good with green beans.

Google is your friend, you can look for recipes like creamed mushrooms or have a rummage in the tinned aisles and find tinned vegetables such as ratatouille, fried onions and Indian and Mexican things, If there's a shop catering for Eastern European, Chinese or Indians - any cuisine really you could have a look for new things there.

Posh cook books in the library are likely to have flourless but interesting veg recipes with cream and butter, which you could photocopy or there's the vegetarian/vegan thread on here. Things like lentils, spelt, quinoa might or might not spike you.

Rose Elliot wrote a book called The Low Carb Vegetarian, which you might be able to get hold of.

So basically butters, butter sauces, Bearnaise, Hollandaise, dressings, mayo, foreign veggies and vegetarian recipes.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How many grams of carbs you have is entirely up to you. You will find your own personal tolerance levels by testing as we all differ. You may find 50g is right for you, or you may find you need to lower it a bit, or you may even find you can increase it a bit. It's all trial and error and can take some time to find the balance.

As for bacon, I've no idea how many rashers you should have. Personally I have 3 rashers when I have a fry up, but I have mine at lunch times rather than breakfast and have them with an egg, a tomato, a high meat sausage and lots of mushrooms.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
At the top of this forum there's a thread called "What did you eat today". It's a long thread but lots of people show the kind of food we eat each day. Plus there are ideas for foods that can replace bread, pasta and rice. Not to mention the lovely peanut butter mug cake (1 egg, two tablespoons peanut butter, a bit of vanilla and artificial sweetener if you like - mix it all in a big mug - then 90 seconds in the microwave - instant cake!!)

Gonna try that mug cake later :), smooth or crunchy peanut butter ? or does it not matter....