Metformin & cerazette

naomi197783

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diagnosed as t2 diabetic started on metformin August 27th 2015 I also take cerazette to stop my periods ( as they were very heavy made me anemic been on cerazette for 3 years) since starting the metformin I have been having bleeding or a brown discharge this has been happening for over 6 weeks spoke to my dn she said you can sometimes get some bleeding on cerazette but the discharge & 6 weeks of it seems a bit much

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Diagnosed as t2 diabetic started on metformin August 27th 2015 I also take cerazette to stop my periods ( as they were very heavy made me anemic been on cerazette for 3 years) since starting the metformin I have been having bleeding or a brown discharge this has been happening for over 6 weeks spoke to my dn she said you can sometimes get some bleeding on cerazette but the discharge & 6 weeks of it seems a bit much
I think you should see your GP as this sounds more like a gynaecological issue than a diabetes/metformin issue to me. Starting metformin may have been the thing that tipped it over the edge, but it may not be the cause of the issue.

Cerazette is one option for treating heavy bleeding but I wonder if your doctor(s) have considered what is causing the heavy bleeding. I don't know how old you are - some conditions are more likely at a younger age, others in women over 35. It's possible that cerazette is no longer enough to control the heavy bleeding and other options might be needed. Did you have much pain with the heavy bleeding?

naomi197783

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you should see your GP as this sounds more like a gynaecological issue than a diabetes/metformin issue to me. Starting metformin may have been the thing that tipped it over the edge, but it may not be the cause of the issue.

Cerazette is one option for treating heavy bleeding but I wonder if your doctor(s) have considered what is causing the heavy bleeding. I don't know how old you are - some conditions are more likely at a younger age, others in women over 35. It's possible that cerazette is no longer enough to control the heavy bleeding and other options might be needed. Did you have much pain with the heavy bleeding?
No pain really & I'm 38 thought it was the menopause as I go really hot sometimes but to test me for that I'd have to come off the cerazette & I'm scared if I do the heavy bleeding will return

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
No pain really & I'm 38 thought it was the menopause as I go really hot sometimes but to test me for that I'd have to come off the cerazette & I'm scared if I do the heavy bleeding will return
I'm 42 and I started to feel hot sometimes when I was in my late 30s. I'm not sure what causes it but I've stopped thinking it was early menopause because the average age is 51 and I don't think I've started it yet. Hopefully your GP will have some ideas about what might be going on for you.

naomi197783

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My mom was young when she started the menopause I think mid 40s my friend started hers about 35

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had about 10 years period free in Cerazette but have had some bleeding since losing weight and getting blood sugars to normal levels. Apparently normal!

naomi197783

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks trinity I asked the diabetic nurse but she hadn't heard of it I have a appointment to see the doctor tomorrow anyway