Can't be bothered anymore..

KarenAdamson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm the same as a lot of you guys but my medical team is shocking! Like my 3 monthly check is in October but I haven't heard from my nurse I don't even know her name that's how bad it is..they're ***** if I'm honest and any time I go to the hospital they just moan like over and over since starting this new job I've lost nearly 3 stone and my control has been so much better but I'll have a few bad readings around ,y period (sorry tmi) but the nurse will just moan about them rather than actually say to me well done for loosing weight or getting control and that just adds to me giving up and thinking there's no point but I know there is obviously. Urgh people without diabetes just don't understand
Hi keishamarie. I think your right about your Diabetic team. Don't let the bastards get you down because you have done so well losing that weight and getting better control all by yourself. I know that hormone levels can affect your control but you can change your carb ratio on those days to see if it helps. Just remember you are doing it for YOU not them so forget their moans

Reactions: 4 people

VFRMan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Type 1 for 38 years lots of ups and a few downs, the best laugh I had on the NHS was when my GP practice called to ask if I was depressed, that cheered me up no end. I find it helps if I am more forgiving of myself and I have yet to meet a consultant with diabetes, so they deal with the theory and we deal with the practice... and that's all we can do and one day I will be perfect!

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi your not the only one who feels like that i feel like that every so often and then i try get back on top of my diabetes

kirstinn_x_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
been struggling for months now with no help and the past few days are kinda the last straw for me at this point. I'm barely eating, wake up high and this morning for example woke up 13, injected 4 and had a 10g carb cereal bar, checked 40 mins later and im 21. This keeps happening, im rotating injection sites, sometimes the insulin seems to work other times not at all. My family's sick of hearing about it/don't take it seriously and when i ring for medical help i just get told to wait till my appointment which is still a month away. Anyone have any ideas?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi kirstinn
do you have a DSN you can ring and talk to on the phone for some help ?
are you going high and low( hypo )or are you continually high all the time. ?

it is hard because to the outside world you will look ok so nobody can see how **** you are feeling.

maybe try avoiding carbs for a couple of days and just eat protein and fat ( chicken , eggs , cheese , etc )
i have done this in the past when bloods weren't behaving at all.

could you possibly have an infection -- this can deffo stop bloods from coming down.

kirstinn_x_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've seen the diabetic nurse at the doctors already who didn't seem to know much and said she'd write to the hospital so they know what to expect when they see me, but that i pretty much just have to wait until then. I also rang the hospital and spoke to someone on the phone but again it was kinda we'll sort it when we see you. But in the meantime I'm struggling. Its highs mostly, only going low due to frustration and purposely over injecting.

It just frustrates me cause i feel like its gonna take blindness or something serious for anyone to take notice.

I've been avoiding food altogether honestly but I'll try eating low carb the best i can and see how i get on. I have been ill but am pretty much better now. Honestly thanks for all your help. Keeps me sane knowing i can come on here and speak to someone and you've been a massive help to me :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
ok -- I am at least glad to hear you have been over - injecting to avoid the highs -- that is exactly what i would do
but the danger is a term called yo-yoing ( in other words chasing that elusive 5.8 but never hitting it. )

i have had instances in the past where i haven't eaten at all for 2 or 3 days to try and correct the highs so you are not alone there either.

please try not to worry too much about blindness or things like that -- between us lot and your hospital team and your obvious hard work on this we will get you sorted :)

marktype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad blood sugars, not being able to eat chocolate fudge cake.
Does anyone else get to a point, after a while of having diabetes of just not wanting to care, giving up and just thinking f**k it?

I am at that point right now, I've been diabetic for nearly 8 years now and it's doing my head in!!
Everyone is so supportive but it just doesn't matter to me, I'm so down about it all. I already suffer with depression and anxiety but it just seems to be getting worse.

Please tell me I'm not the only one?

Thanks xo

Its probably very normal to feel this way. The pressure of living with Diabetes is more than people care for. A lot of the time I get a little down or peed off with my blood results and hypos etc but youve no choice but to learn how to deal with it. I find that talking is the best way, with both diabetics and non diabetics. When I was at School I pretty much acted like I never had Diabetes and hated when people asked. I found it very difficult to fit in with friends who were going the shop and buying shed loads of sweets and drinks and id be stuck with a pack of sugarfree polos that would probably give me the runs. Lets be honest, who wouldnt get down about that?

The thing is, it gets easier. I know youve had it for 8 years but it took me till early adulthood to get used to mine. Nowadays, I kind of enjoy testing my blood and recording data on my glucose diary app and looking at graphs for the year etc. Everyone has their own ways of dealing with it. Its not the worst illness if you are sensible and nowadays you can eat pretty much what you want if you know how to count carbs (when I was first diagnosed I was on insulin called mixtard which was a mix of long and short acting insulin together, this meant I couldnt eat a single amount of sugar because I couldnt take extra short acting to compensate like I can nowadays).

Keep positive man and try to get some way of making it interesting such as researching medication and the history of diabetes medicine or something! Always here to chat if you need a friend mate!

hughsey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its probably very normal to feel this way. The pressure of living with Diabetes is more than people care for. A lot of the time I get a little down or peed off with my blood results and hypos etc but youve no choice but to learn how to deal with it. I find that talking is the best way, with both diabetics and non diabetics. When I was at School I pretty much acted like I never had Diabetes and hated when people asked. I found it very difficult to fit in with friends who were going the shop and buying shed loads of sweets and drinks and id be stuck with a pack of sugarfree polos that would probably give me the runs. Lets be honest, who wouldnt get down about that?

The thing is, it gets easier. I know youve had it for 8 years but it took me till early adulthood to get used to mine. Nowadays, I kind of enjoy testing my blood and recording data on my glucose diary app and looking at graphs for the year etc. Everyone has their own ways of dealing with it. Its not the worst illness if you are sensible and nowadays you can eat pretty much what you want if you know how to count carbs (when I was first diagnosed I was on insulin called mixtard which was a mix of long and short acting insulin together, this meant I couldnt eat a single amount of sugar because I couldnt take extra short acting to compensate like I can nowadays).

Keep positive man and try to get some way of making it interesting such as researching medication and the history of diabetes medicine or something! Always here to chat if you need a friend mate!
Hi m8. I know how you feel. I've been T1D for 23yrs now , and to tell you the truth I don't know how I've coped. There has been times when I feel that's enough I what to get of the bus. But I think and thank God that am alive and can breath the air. You just have to push through the dark time, and think it could be worse. Good luck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone else get to a point, after a while of having diabetes of just not wanting to care, giving up and just thinking f**k it?

I am at that point right now, I've been diabetic for nearly 8 years now and it's doing my head in!!
Everyone is so supportive but it just doesn't matter to me, I'm so down about it all. I already suffer with depression and anxiety but it just seems to be getting worse.

Thanks xo
Hi I’m 15 years old I’ve only had diabetes for 4 years and I have already given up, it’s so tiring and I’ve not been looking after it properly for a few months now, I don’t know what to do either

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM and VashtiB

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I’m 15 years old I’ve only had diabetes for 4 years and I have already given up, it’s so tiring and I’ve not been looking after it properly for a few months now, I don’t know what to do either
Have you spoken to your diabetes team about how you're feeling?
Diabetes burn-out is a known thing, and they might be able to help you with this.

Being 15 is harsh on almost anyone, throwing diabetes in the mix must make it so much harder!
Wish you all the best, and don't hesitate to post again, sometimes it can be helpful to talk to people who get it.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi I have to admit that I pretty much ignored my diabetes in my teens (it was easier in those days because it was pre glucometers, so ignoring it meant I ate what I liked and didn't do urine tests).

But luckily I had a supportive team when glucometers came into the mix and they helped me get back in to the (diabetic) swim of things. I've had periods of mediocre (to put it mildly) diabetic control since then but eventually I go back to trying again.

I'm sure there are some perfectly motivated diabetics out there who never feel burnt out but for the rest of us my suggestion is that is never too late to try again (specially at your age). Your profile says you have a pump. Is the new looping technology that is supposed to be being rolled out in the UK an option that interests you?

I second @Antje77 's suggestion that you talk to your team. You won't be the first or the last diabetic they've seen who is feeling discouraged and demotivated.

If it's any consolation to you, I found being a teenager the hardest time in my life both diabetically and mentally (it's why I tend not to get depressed now because I remember what a miserable time I had then and also that things got better).

Lots of virtual hugs.

jules25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Thanks xo
I have been type 1 for 53 yrs-diagnosed at age6-and I still have those days, but in a way i feel like I was more fortunate to get it before I remember much about life before diabetes. I don't really ever remember not having it. I have had some mild complications and feel very blessed to have had the relatively healthy years I have had. My want to live longer and watch my granddaughter grow is my incentive to keep the course. But yes, it does get hard to keep fighting some times. Just remember your goals and what you can accomplish despite DM

Reactions: filly and EllieM