Type 1 life

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, eat the gateau and not even have to THINK about how many carbs were in it! The joy! :D

Reactions: 3 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, eat the gateau and not even have to THINK about how many carbs were in it! The joy! :D
Can you imagine a bunch of us sitting in a public place shovelling down the goodies and laughing our heads off! I am happy with my health and lifestyle now, but would I celebrate the cure in style? Oh yes I would!

Reactions: 2 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was 20 when I was diagnosed with T1. I'm 45 now. Gimme gimme gimme that cure blummin well now.
I want to get out of bed, shower, coffee, gym, drive, work and enjoy the mahoosive part of my brain that will be free of diabetes sh@te. And maybe eat sometime around 4-5pm. Oh I can just picture my silky smooth fingertips now not catching on my tights.
I could sieve things through them they are so bumpy and scabby!!!!!!

Reactions: 9 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh and as much as I live my pump? I wouldn't miss the bleeding alarm going off in the middle of you know what cos sugars are dropping.

Reactions: 8 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh and as much as I live my pump? I wouldn't miss the bleeding alarm going off in the middle of you know what cos sugars are dropping.
LOL. I suspend mine, take it off and leave it on the dressing table, where he bleeps pitifully because he's feeling left out. I thought I was over the 'baby wails at awkward time' years.

Reactions: 8 people

dylt1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If there was a cure how would they prioritise who would receive the treatment first? In order of diagnosis?

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If there was a cure how would they prioritise who would receive the treatment first? In order of diagnosis?

I've often wondered that. I assume that newly diagnosed would be the priority as why go through all the trouble of getting them used to a regime if it's not necessary. Then I guess those with complications setting in?

Although with testing sometimes they have to go for the established people that know what they're doing and can be trusted to follow up properly - so who knows!?

And lets not forget our favourite - the postcode lottery!!

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh and I'd LOVE to go in a bar or restaurant and order a drink other than diet coke!!

Reactions: 4 people

marktype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad blood sugars, not being able to eat chocolate fudge cake.
Wow, not been on since I posted, there are some great replies here. I think I would personally be worried about a transplant and the complications that may arise. I have Daibetes under fairly good control and I wonder would a transplant make life harder? I would love to not have to worry about hypos though, that always has and always will be a ballache!!!

52O342UOIF

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, not been on since I posted, there are some great replies here. I think I would personally be worried about a transplant and the complications that may arise. I have Daibetes under fairly good control and I wonder would a transplant make life harder? I would love to not have to worry about hypos though, that always has and always will be a ballache!!!

A islet transplant would require you to go on immunosuppressants, I'd stick with my beta cells. There are promising techniques being developed for protecting the cells though, eliminating the need for immunosuppressants. :)

marktype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
A islet transplant would require you to go on immunosuppressants, I'd stick with my beta cells. There are promising techniques being developed for protecting the cells though, eliminating the need for immunosuppressants. :)

I have no idea what any of this means, but would love an explanation :)

VFRMan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would take the cure and eat a whole 10 inch pizza all to myself. My only regret is not being able to work on the North sea gas rigs when I was younger.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have no idea what any of this means, but would love an explanation :)

@marktype1 An islet transplant would be like an organ transplant. People who have a transplant have to take drugs to suppress their immune system else it'll attack the new organ or islets because they're 'foreign' - that is, not from your own body.

Knowing someone on those drugs - called immunosuppressants - I would be worried about having to take them as they are not without side effects.

If there was some way to protect the islet cells from attacks by your immune system, you wouldn't have to take the powerful drugs.

Reactions: 2 people

marktype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@marktype1 An islet transplant would be like an organ transplant. People who have a transplant have to take drugs to suppress their immune system else it'll attack the new organ or islets because they're 'foreign' - that is, not from your own body.

Knowing someone on those drugs - called immunosuppressants - I would be worried about having to take them as they are not without side effects.

If there was some way to protect the islet cells from attacks by your immune system, you wouldn't have to take the powerful drugs.

Ahhhh, makes sense now. Yeah sounds like catch 22 to me. That was my initial thought on a transplant