T2 hypos?

stewcose

HI All

Can I ask if it pos to have a hypo when you are T2? As not yet measuring my bg and often feeling weak and a little dizzy. Have thought bg must be very high or some other problem.

Thanking you

Stewart

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Technically anyone,diabetic or not can hypo.The definition of a hypo is a blood sugar below 4 mmol/L. However ,in a type 2 on Metformin you may go as low as this but your liver will 'dump' and bring your blood sugar levels up again. Many type 1's can actually function quite well below this level ,but that's another story! :D

FordPrefect

Dont assume its a hypo! I have had some of the symptoms of a hypo and found its completly to opposite and when measuring my sugars they have been 12+. Until you get used to them I suggest you check with your meter if you have one as the symptoms are very similar.

stewcose

Hi

Thanks Sue. I'll get there yet.

Thanks Ford P. This would make a lot more sense. I hope to come home with a meter later today. Yet another argument to be given one.

Stewart

china

Hi Stewcose

I posted a similar thread in Ask the Experts - Metformin and Hypos?

I'm a T2 on Metformin, and unless I'm very careful often find myself in hypo territory. I test frequently, especially if I start feeling odd, in order to establish my BG level. Invariably, when feeling odd, my BG level is in the 3s or v low 4s, on several occasions it has been in the 2s. I have often been told that I can't be having hypos, but my body has been telling me otherwise. The only way to establish the facts is to test, test, test.

Good luck.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi China.

Anybody who tells you that you are not having a Hypo when at anything below 4 is talking rubbish. Even non-diabetics can Hypo it is a fact. How you react to it and deal with it is another matter ? Some people are able to function quite well at these low levels, doesn't mean it is safe or advisable.