Questioning if i actually have diabetes

Tomb2112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, i was diagnosed in June with type 1 diabetes. when i was admitted to hospital my blood sugars was 30+ and my ketones were 5.4. ever since of coming out of hospital my levels have been completely fine. the DN stopped my rapid insulin with my meals as i didn't need it. my levels are still fine. i went a couple of days without my long lasting injection and my levels were still fine! even after eating a large meal was pudding my levels dont go above 7 ish. i just keep questioning whether im in my honeymoon phase or have i actually got diabetes?
any comments or advice much appreciated!
thanks
tom

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you were admitted to hospital with a blood sugar of over 30 i think you can be sure that you have diabetes. Someone who is not diabetic will very rarely exceed 7 if at all. Whether you have type 1 or 2 can only be established with a c peptide test

Reactions: 2 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Tom, I'm as confused as you. Last year my bg levels were in the mid 20s and I was put on insulin straight away. 10 months later, I no longer need insulin and my levels are in the normal range. Blood tests show I am T1. I don't think the hospital made a mistake, so I guess I'm enjoying the honeymoon phase. Long may it continue :)

SteveOsborne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. I'm with jamesfitz on this one. You can be sure you have diabetes. I have came off my honeymoon period about a month ago now. Wow what a change. I doubled and some my long lasting insulin. (12units to 30units in a 2weeks) also ive just had my glucose machine changed from a one touch verio to an accu check expert and this has helped massive amounts for example ive doubled and some my rapid insulin every meal. All I can.say is happy honeymooning :cool:

Emma158

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tom, I'm as confused as you. Last year my bg levels were in the mid 20s and I was put on insulin straight away. 10 months later, I no longer need insulin and my levels are in the normal range. Blood tests show I am T1. I don't think the hospital made a mistake, so I guess I'm enjoying the honeymoon phase. Long may it continue :)

Hi June, can I ask if you are on any tablets for diabetes or no medication at all?

Hi, i was diagnosed in June with type 1 diabetes. when i was admitted to hospital my blood sugars was 30+ and my ketones were 5.4. ever since of coming out of hospital my levels have been completely fine. the DN stopped my rapid insulin with my meals as i didn't need it. my levels are still fine. i went a couple of days without my long lasting injection and my levels were still fine! even after eating a large meal was pudding my levels dont go above 7 ish. i just keep questioning whether im in my honeymoon phase or have i actually got diabetes?
any comments or advice much appreciated!
thanks
tom

I feel very similar to you Tom and had a similar situation with diagnosis. I'm currently not taking any insulin or tablets but I fear it may be wishful thinking to think it was just a blip.......(I'm hoping though)

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Hi June, can I ask if you are on any tablets for diabetes or no medication at all?
I'm on no medication whatsoever, but I have gone low carb in order to give my pancreas as much help as possible and keep my bg levels within the normal range.

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask if anyone else changed their diet or fitness regime at the same time that their blood glucose readings improved?

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask if anyone else changed their diet or fitness regime at the same time that their blood glucose readings improved?

Yes me. I was diagnosed with type 2 - hba1c of 7.9 (May 2014). Started to low carb.

July 2014 hba1c 6.3
October 2014 hba1c 5.5
March 2015 hba1c 5.4
August 2015 5.1

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I am newbie here and i have some questions related to diabetes and diets. I am not sure whether diabetes can be controlled only with a simple diet plan or one shall immediately start taking medications and tablets.

See post above yours... @Eurobuff manages her diabetes really well through diet alone and has managed to reduce her HbA1c result to non diabetic levels. Do you have a monitor, to check your blood sugars after meals?