Addiction

guto

Is it possible some people are addicted to carb?
I find if I eat bread (Ilove bread) I have an almost insatiable hunger for more.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Yes!!! But if you can manage to give up on some of them it's amazing how you lose the craving for them. Usually takes a week or two but worth it!! :D

yipster29

completely agree with Sue... was a complete favourite of mine.. fresh bread or baguettes MMMMM

Haven't had any since diagnosis in March and completely not fussed now!! (although I did try Fergus bread for the 1st time las tweek and that was such a HUGE treat! :D )

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Starch and sugar are both very addictive and I find Finn Crisp crispbread almost irresistable. So I rarely buy it and stick to Lidl's own, which isn't as nice and I can leave in the cupboard.
Hana

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Check out my signature.

My poison was marmite sandwiches/marmite on toast. Could never stop at one slice. I could easily eat 10 slices of bread with butter/marge and marmite...

Knapweed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was quite bizarre, I stopped smoking cigars 6 years ago with no cravings.
This year I stopped carbs and had no cravings, unless I imbibe a little too much wine then some of the kids sweets disappear :oops:
It balances out the low blood sugar caused by the alcohol, at least that's what I tell myself :roll:

Ken

Spiral

Patch said:
Check out my signature.

My poison was marmite sandwiches/marmite on toast. Could never stop at one slice. I could easily eat 10 slices of bread with butter/marge and marmite...

oh god yes... I have not had Marmite on toast since I started low carbing.

I could eat a huge quantity of bread.

I'm currently getting my Marmite fix from the Marmite and cheddar cheese - small individual portions or a larger wax covered truckle. Also very addictive...

once I stopped eating obvious carbs, the cravings went

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I was the world's biggest carb addict until I saw the light and stopped eating them (in large quantities) , could not go more than a couple of hours without food and if I ate something very sugary I would practially go beserk for more of the stuff, creating a vicious cycle that resulted in weight gain, HBa1c in the 12s and the beginnings of complications.

Not eaten any starchy foods since March, lost the weight, dropped the Hba1c and (hopefully) retinas stabilising.

When I think of what I am sacrificing compared to what I am gaining, it doesn't feel like much of a sacrifice to be honest I'm just so glad to be free of my addiction.

That's why I am now called the_anticarb!!

SNOWDROPS

Butter Addiction

My mother was a diabetic, was worried it would happen to me, on doctors advice I lost lost seven stone on a Ligher Life diet, restricted only to food packs for six months. Since then I have put three stone back on, due to food cravings or addictions, at the moment I do not seem to be able to think of anything other eating butter, preferably mixed with sugar also fudge is a big issue. I have had other cravings such as bread which I have more or less overcome by not having it at home, but am left with the butter issue. Wondered if anyone else has this problem and if anyone has managed to resolve it, as it is so embaressing to talk about it, and I worry I am putting all the weight back on and am risking my health for a fat point of view than when I was overweight. Oh, yes I used to be a very heavy smoker which I also gave up three years ago, I do know that if i started again I think I could avoid the butter, so that is probably a key.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum,Snowdrop. Are you in fact a diabetic? A lot of low carbers eat a lot of butter but not mixed with sugar!! :D The carbohydrate in the sugar will make you put on the weight. A good all round diet is what you need ,plenty of fresh foods,reduce or cut out the processed stuff.
You need to work out what you like eating and plan around that.The trouble with these food pack diets is they are all to easy to do but then you go back to 'normal' eating again and put on the weight.
Have you discussed this with a doctor or a dietician?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Snowdrops
You have revealed the problem with "Lighter Life" and other similar plans.Other than the cost that is :lol:
They are a quick efficient way to lose weight, but do NOTHING to re-educate your palate.
You need to cut down the carbs routinely and you will get it under control. I haven't eaten significant amounts of carb for a couple of years, but I admit I could still murder a slice of buttered toast. I COULD stop at ONe though.
Patch
Try making a drink from marmite to fulfil the craving
Hana

guto

I have not eten any signifiant amount of Carb. for about a week.
Coping well!
Hoping this will reduce my weight, probably about 6stone over weight.
Any advice on books and will it work??

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Hi guto. When I started low carbing I joined a diet on the internet called go lower, they send you all your meals which are all natural cooked things like meat in gravy, sealed in packs, that you just add veg to and reheat. I have lost two stone although I am no longer doing go lower it was great at first to get my head into low carbing mode without having to do too much thinking about what I was eating.