Happy Super Bolusing!

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I thought I would share how amazing I find 'super bolus'. It scared me at the beginning, as my first attempt wasn't very successful. Stupidly superbolused for quite a high in fat meal and ended up with bad hypo. Now I know, watch the fat content when superbolusing!
For simple, high in carb meals it works wonder. Yesterday, I had for breakfast massive piece of cake (I know its not a good food choice) but with super bolus I didn't go higer than 6.9 :) I'm scared I will want cakes for breakfast everyday now

Reactions: 15 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Pleased it worked for you @ewelina.

I was reading about the Super Bolus some months ago in Pumping Insulin but haven't tried it yet, how did you go about it if you don't mind me asking.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
great topic @ewelina -- as @noblehead has asked -- perhaps you could expand on how you go about it.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its quite simple. You take 80% of your next 2 hours basal with your meal and then set temporary basal rate for 20% for the next 2 hours. I read some people do 3 hours worth of basal.
in my case when my basal is around 0.6u per hour I take 1 u upfront and then reduce basal to 20% for thd next two hours. I bolused 20 min in advance for the cake.
Not advisable for high fat or low GI meals as they are slowly absorbed

Reactions: 4 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you google you will find few articles on superbolusing

iHs

Another way of understanding the Super Bolus

CREJkYrWEAEs8x7.jpg

iHs

Im not sure about temporary basal rate set to 0% that would mean stopping the pump completely. Would that be safe?

Probably yes as insulin given up front in one big go and no basal wont do anyone any harm as long as the basal is turned back on again at the right time. Everything though with pumps is always going to be 'trial and error' with high and low bg levels until something that works ok for the person is found.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
iHspost: 973199 said:
Probably yes as insulin given up front in one big go and no basal wont do anyone any harm as long as the basal is turned back on again at the right time. Everything though with pumps is always going to be 'trial and error' with high and low bg levels until something that works ok for the person is found.
I was just wondering from technical point of view. I read somwhere that stopping the pump is not a good idea. Im not sure why though

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Its quite simple. You take 80% of your next 2 hours basal with your meal and then set temporary basal rate for 20% for the next 2 hours. I read some people do 3 hours worth of basal.
in my case when my basal is around 0.6u per hour I take 1 u upfront and then reduce basal to 20% for thd next two hours. I bolused 20 min in advance for the cake.
Not advisable for high fat or low GI meals as they are slowly absorbed

Thanks @ewelina, there seems to be a few variations on how to do a Super Bolus, the one which is the best is the one that works for you.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm trying it out now on a meal I know is quite hard to control. Will report back soon...

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't read in detail but is this type of bolus trying to prevent high blood sugars post meal.............?

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Wow - sounds a bit advanced for me Would like to have the courage to try it though. When, in particular, would you use it? For high GI foods?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Today I used it on something I know spikes my bg levels (in spite of being brown rice and relatively low GI overall). So far so good. The resultant spike was a lot lower and it remains to be seen how the next couple of hours spin out.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I need to get a pump!! I eat a lot of low GI foods and this sounds a great way of stopping the spike.

I love this forum!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So here's my Super Bolus - a two hour roll up for base rate into the bolus and drop to 10% TBR following the bolus. I was late with my pre-meal bolus, so took it literally before I ate rather than the normal 15 minutes I'd allow. I ate at around 14.20 this afternoon. The blue zone is 3.9-6.8 mmol.

Ignore the persistent red line prior to the bolus, the sensor dropped a mmol this morning for no apparent reason.

Pretty impressed with this to be honest!

IMG_1872_zpsb5hzkobg.jpg

Reactions: 7 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its great, isn't it. I'm planning on some naughty lunch tomorrow. Crunchy baguette with salmon I think :D

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow - sounds a bit advanced for me Would like to have the courage to try it though. When, in particular, would you use it? For high GI foods?
Anything that spikes you . Mainly simple carbs, rice, bread. Not for anything high in fat like pizza or fish&chips