Alcohol wipes for finger pricking bad

richard077

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Indian food lamb
My diabetic nurse told me that u should avoid using alchol wipes before finger pricking never know this was bad thing to do

M

mrspuddleduck

Ideally you shouldn't use them for finger pricking because the alcohol will effect your blood sugar results. If you have to use them, say you're out and can't wash your hands, you must ensure that your fingers are completely dry before testing. Sue xx

irrationalJohn

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Alcohol removes your skin oils and dries out your skin. Using them regularly is not recommended. Doing it occasionally is not such a big deal so long as you allow the alcohol to evaporate before testing. But then you would also want your hands dry if you washed them with soap & water before testing, no?

richard077

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Indian food lamb
No I don't wash sometimes because of work and why I use alchol wipes is because I do out door cleaning and hands can get dirty

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The reason not to use the wipes is because the alcohol affects the result.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tend to have a pack of fragrance free baby wipes in the car for wiping hands after the dog walk

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My diabetic nurse told me that u should avoid using alchol wipes before finger pricking never know this was bad thing to do

Nurse is right, however you can buy wipes that are alcohol & fragrance free, one is called Dia-Wipe and can be found on sites such as Amazon.

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told that if you prick your finger and smear the blood then squeeze finger and test that was sufficient to clear the alcohol from a wipe..