Chocoholics Anonymous - Please post your (Diabetic friendly) chocolate suggestions here :)

badgers_mum

hi everyone!
As a previously consummate chocolate lover (especially galaxy milk chocolate) I have had a problem giving up chocolate. However, it is a case of retraining your taste buds AND the way we eat chocolate.
I now buy Aldis Moser Roth 70% chocolate and find that because it comes as 5 small bars this prevents the temptation to eat a whole big bar in one sitting.
Also, I only snap off a small piece and then let it melt in my mouth. I don't chew it and swallow it but let the chocolate just gradually melt on the roof of my mouth. The slow release of the intensity of the flavour of the chocolate means that my chocolate fix happens on a smaller amount of chocolate. Hope that makes sense! In fact just half or a third of one of these small bars eaten in this way is enough. It might sound a bit mercenary to eat chocolate in this way but as I am now unable to eat "normal' chocolate I really want to savour that chocolate taste when I do! As an aside, my partner bought me a small bar of galaxy the other day. I couldn't finish it as it was way to sweet which indicates I have retrained my tastebuds.

Reactions: 6 people

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
I
Good one thanks for the tip Redsnapper
hi guys, I been melting two squares of any of the above chocolate in the microwave and coating brazil nuts, its amazing how many actually get covered with 2 square s! Then I put in fridge to harden yummy

Reactions: 8 people

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too like the Aldi Moser Roth 85% chocolate bars but we are quite far from an Aldi store. I mainly have the Co-op Truly Irresistible Fairtrade Ghanaian dark chocolate 85% which our Co-op has in 40g bars. It has 10 squares and I find half the bar is enough. The whole bar has 6.8g carbs so I’m getting my fix of 20g for 3.4g carbs.

QR93

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I don't suppose most people here will have protein powder at home, but I am an avid gymgoer and like to keep an eye on carbohydrates. I don't have diabetes but have an interest in it :) Anyway, I love having a beltsander brownie (takes 2 minutes to make) with some strawberries and a tablespoon of frozen yogurt. Only problem is the taste varies with different protein powders. I'd imagine this may be diabetic friendly.

Heres one I made last week. sorry the picture is sideways. I keep the centre gooey so I can dip the strawberries in it.
Recipe is: Mix 1 serving chocolate protein powder, 2 teaspoons unsweeetened cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder in a microwavable bowl. Add water until it is cake batter consistency then microwave for about 30 seconds.

No one here might ever want to try it due to the mention of protein powder or microwave but I thought I'd share anyway :)

Beltsander_Brownie.jpg

Reactions: 14 people

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I made a dark chocolate and sea salt tart a while back which was divine. I used the Jamie Oliver recipe which you can find easily enough through Google. I just substituted some of the flour in my pastry with ground almonds and added a little splenda, then just rolled it as thinly as possible. Was so good enjoyed with cream and raspberries, and fairly low carb compared to most desserts :)

Attachments

• 1444981529943.jpg
    1444981529943.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 331
Reactions: 9 people

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
I note that @poohtiggy has suggested Peanut M&M as a treat and today I decided that more research needed to be conducted.

Anyway, I nipped to the local shops, checked the ingredients i.e. "Covered peanuts in a sugar shell" then panic, first listed ingredient: "sugar" followed by "peanut". If that wasn't enough, 58.8g carbs inc 53.3g sugars per 100g weight in a 100g bag. May as well overdose! However, I bought them anyway, you know, for a "friend".

Back to base, I nervously opened the bag...

...No I didn't; do you think I'm crazy???

I got my calculator out; opened the bag; counted out the sweets; and worked out the carbs per individual M&M. (1.37g per sweet if you're interested.) I took a BG reading, then I wrote out a 20 page risk assessment report and sent it to my DSN for approval. OK, I made the last part up, but I did work out I could eat 4 sweets!

They were great :)

Before I remembered how more'ish they were, I regained self-control and stopped eating at 14 sweets (the "recommended" 1/3rd of a bag), by which point I was feeling sick due to amount of sugary sweetness I'd just eaten. (I've lost my sweet tooth.)

Wow, 20g carbs, mainline sugar, in a couple of minutes.

Impact on BG after 1 hour whilst performing no exercise = zero (technically, slight drop as expected). Presumably, it's the fat in the nuts that slows down the carb absorption.

I only did this experiment in the interests of scientific endeavour.

I wish to thank the esteemed @poohtiggy for their inspirational idea. I am willing to share the Nobel prize for science that I'm sure is well deserved to us.

As always, do your own research/blood testing and try to start slowly, but be warned that strong will power is required!

Reactions: 16 people

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks :) it was really nice!! I'm such a chocoholic its unreal
i could not be trusted with anything that looks that good...not until i lose another 4 stone AND increase my insulin sensitivity...:)
i do indulge in the occasional bar or three of chocolate (stevia sweetened) but my self control is non-existent...used to devour Mars bars for fun.

Reactions: 6 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
IMO best chocolates in the world are Leonidas hand-made Belgian chocolates filled with fresh cream and they don't do anything as lowly as a dark chocolate bar. The nearest shop to me is in Boulogne and probably just as well.

Lindt Excellence 90% cocoa chocolate 100g is 14g carbs. I like to slather a couple of squares with Meridian organic crunchy peanut butter or a good Lebanese 100% sesame tahini (basically sesame seed butter).Chocgasm

I have been eating low carb for 6 yrs and organic for 4 yrs so I find 70% chocolate too sweet now, but used to like the ASDA Extra Special Fairtrade organic Dominican Republic 70% cocoa dark chocolate with cocoa nibs, which is 7g carbs for 2 squares and costs 1.50 for 100g bar.

Toblerone Dark (if you can find it) is 12.5g carbs per 25g so a couple of horns (proper name for em) might not be too many carbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

gypsy64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My sweet choc treat is an Atkins lo carb choccie bar, get them in Superdrug at a cheaper price than holland and barrett. I can eat the whole bar depending on the one I choose and my BG is still within the 4 to 7 range

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low Carb Hot Choc
Boil kettle.
Add a heaped teasp of good quality cocoa powder to a big mug
Add 1.5 ish heaped teasp of sugar substitute to mug
Make the powders into a paste with a dribble of water (get rid of the lumps)
Add boiling water and stir until smooth
Top up with double cream.
Add caramel, lemon, orange or mint essences, if desired
Enjoy

All quantities adjustable

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My variation on Brunneria's hot choc is Green & Black's organic unsweetened cocoa or Hershey's 100% natural unsweetened cocoa with Rude Health organic unsweetened hazelnut drink. I would add double cream too but since the Listeria incident in August, Sainsbury's hasn't had any organic double cream.

Sent from my Kindle using DCUK Forum mobile app

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I note that @poohtiggy has suggested Peanut M&M as a treat and today I decided that more research needed to be conducted.

Anyway, I nipped to the local shops, checked the ingredients i.e. "Covered peanuts in a sugar shell" then panic, first listed ingredient: "sugar" followed by "peanut". If that wasn't enough, 58.8g carbs inc 53.3g sugars per 100g weight in a 100g bag. May as well overdose! However, I bought them anyway, you know, for a "friend".

I got my calculator out; opened the bag; counted out the sweets; and worked out the carbs per individual M&M. (1.37g per sweet if you're interested.) I took a BG reading, then I wrote out a 20 page risk assessment report and sent it to my DSN for approval. OK, I made the last part up, but I did work out I could eat 4 sweets!

Before I remembered how more'ish they were, I regained self-control and stopped eating at 14 sweets (the "recommended" 1/3rd of a bag), by which point I was feeling sick due to amount of sugary sweetness I'd just eaten. (I've lost my sweet tooth.)

Impact on BG after 1 hour whilst performing no exercise = zero (technically, slight drop as expected). Presumably, it's the fat in the nuts that slows down the carb absorption.

I wish to thank the esteemed @poohtiggy for their inspirational idea. I am willing to share the Nobel prize for science that I'm sure is well deserved to us.

As always, do your own research/blood testing and try to start slowly, but be warned that strong will power is required!
I'm definitely NOT doing this experiment - in the past I have been known to eat a whole 300g bag of peanut M&Ms in the cinema - after a good dinner...

Nowadays I'm very happy with half a small bar (there are 5 in the 125g packet) of Sainsbury's 85% chocolate, with a heaped teaspoon of almond butter (lower in carbs than peanut, and I prefer the Nutella-ish taste) on top, sprinkled with cinnamon. Delish!

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Grenada 100% organic dark chocolate, Hotel Chocolat 100% Dark Hondorus or Peru.

tuatara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I too tried the peanut m&ms. Had half a bag. No effect on sugars. And they are divine!

Reactions: 3 people

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morrisons are doing a low sugar hot chocolate which they call NU ME.It is in a lime green and purple plastic pouch and is 5.9 g of carbs per serving with 200ml hot water.I put 200mls of unsweetened almond milk in a milk frother and once in a mug added a square of 85% chocolate and in the microwave for 30 seconds to melt the chocolate square.Then give it a good stir.
I do not have a particularly sweet tooth but this does give me a sweet fix every now and then.
It's really good too.

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rainforest foods 100% cocao powder or the raw chocolate company, if you want slightly bitter chocolate with zero sugar.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Ok peeps, thought I would try a choc mug cake today (as family had choc fudge cake and while not having a sweet tooth, it was calling to me:eek:)
I got a recipe from the internet and as I don't have coconut flour, went for a simple egg, cocoa, sweetener, baking soda (that IS baking powder, yeah?) one. 60 seconds later, I settled down to eat my mug cake, or as it shall be known forthwith - cocoa flavoured scrambled egg:grumpy:
Texture looked okay-ish, maybe a bit rubbery but cake like, I wasn't expecting a replica of the real thing but this really wasn't great.
But it really tasted like scrambled egg with cocoa in it. What did I do wrong?

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok peeps, thought I would try a choc mug cake today (as family had choc fudge cake and while not having a sweet tooth, it was calling to me:eek:)
I got a recipe from the internet and as I don't have coconut flour, went for a simple egg, cocoa, sweetener, baking soda (that IS baking powder, yeah?) one. 60 seconds later, I settled down to eat my mug cake, or as it shall be known forthwith - cocoa flavoured scrambled egg:grumpy:
Texture looked okay-ish, maybe a bit rubbery but cake like, I wasn't expecting a replica of the real thing but this really wasn't great.
But it really tasted like scrambled egg with cocoa in it. What did I do wrong?

I use ground almonds to replace the flour in a normal cake.
This recipe is a great basic cake (in a loaf tin)
Low Carb Stracciatella Cake Recipe (this one is AWESOME so don't let anyone else taste it - or you won't have any left)
Or for a mug cake, something like these:
http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2015/03/low-carb-mug-cake-recipes.html

The too egginess is something i loathe too, and since i buy Large eggs, it can happen all too often. :(
I find the answer is to up the dry ingredients by 10-25% depending on whether you have a large, or eye wateringly large egg (poor chicken!)

Reactions: 2 people