What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Following on from the experience Geoffers had earlier this week, I am off to Brummieland tomorrow for a "training" day/course. They are providing lunch and asked for any special dietary requirements. The answer I got was, "well it's going to be sandwiches so if you can't eat them you'd better bring something yourself"

Very helpful, I think I'll remove the fillings and chuck the bread on the floor !!!!!!

Reactions: 8 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Following on from the experience Geoffers had earlier this week, I am off to Brummieland tomorrow for a "training" day/course. They are providing lunch and asked for any special dietary requirements. The answer I got was, "well it's going to be sandwiches so if you can't eat them you'd better bring something yourself"

Very helpful, I think I'll remove the fillings and chuck the bread on the floor !!!!!!
I've done this before when attending a conference. Lunch was mini roll selection, crisps and pastries. I took a lot of rolls, ate the delicious selection of fillings and left the bread. Did have quite a few raised eyebrows!

Reactions: 5 people

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I went to a conference a couple of weeks ago and we were given a lunchbag with two bagels and a banana. I ended up licking egg mayonnaise off a bagel much to the amusement of my colleagues.

Reactions: 6 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Late back from work...

B: 1/2 Lidl thing with 2 slices bacon, tomato and melted cheese

L: 2xEgg Mayo with chopped red peppers and celery

D: HID is currently cooking me Sea Bass Fillet with Courgette Spiraliserwisers in Pesto

I'll probably polish off my Lemon Chia Pudd later as well.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
B. Coffee with milk and Sweet 'N Low.
L. LIDL hp roll, sliced toasted and buttered with two rashers of bacon and three mushrooms. Mug of tea with milk and sweetener.
T. Mince pie with double cream (did my 20k steps), mug of tea with milk and sweetener.
S. Two onion bhajis, mug of tea with milk and sweetener. 2 squares of Lindt 90% dark chocolate.
S. Some walnuts.

One 187ml bottle (large glass) of Californian Merlot, after 9pm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@GeoffersTaylor [USER=24561]@Chook

These aren't cauliflower rice obviously but if you're looking for a way to incorporate some cauli they are a very nice way to do it. They are posted in the low carb recipe section but I'll copy & paste here anyway. I could happily eat them every day at the moment!

Have made these twice now. The first batch stuck to the mini-muffin pan so I did the next ones on a baking paper lined try & they came out beautifully. They flattened a little in the cooking but they were delish - cheesy, soft but crispy golden discs of yum:D

I used a whole cauli & thus extra almond flour, cheese/spices. I only used the one egg & (I guess I didn't drain the cauli well enough!) added a couple of TBS of psyllium to help hold the mix together. I went with dry fried onion, chilli flakes, black pepper & a bit of veg stock powder for the flavouring. I also pureed the cauli more than the recipe suggests as I was after a creamier texture. They are delicate so be careful when turning.

I froze the extras before baking & just thawed them o/night in the fridge when I next used them. I found 180 degrees to be the best baking temperature.

Recipe came from herehttp://www.kalynskitchen.com/2014/03/cheesy-baked-cauliflower-tots.html

Cheesy Baked Cauiflower Tots
(Makes 24 small Cauliflower Tots; recipe developed by Kalyn with inspiration fromseveralotherbloggers who also made Cauliflower Tots.)

Ingredients:
1/2 large head caulflower, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar
1/4 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
2 T almond flour
1/2 tsp. Vege-Sal (or a slightly smaller amount of salt)
1/2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (Probably optional, but it does add flavor. You can substitute another all-purpose seasoning blend that tastes good with cauliflower)
fresh-ground black pepper to taste
1 egg

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Spray a Mini Muffin Pan with non-stick spray.

Cut away the leaves of the cauliflower, but use most of the inner core part. Coarsely chop the cauliflower, place in a micro-wave proof bowl, cover with cling wrap, and microwave 2 minutes on high. (Microwaves can vary so you may need to experiment with the time, but the cauliflower should be just slightly soft.) Quickly take off the cling-wrap and let the steam escape, and if you see any water in the bottom of the bowl, put the cauliflower into a colander and let the water drain off.

Put the steel blade in the food processor, add the cauliflower, and pulse until the cauliflower is finely chopped but still slightly chunky. (Be careful not to over process so you don't end up with cauliflower puree!) If there is any water in the food processor bowl, drain the cauliflower again in the colander.

Put finely chopped cauliflower into a bowl and add the reduced-fat sharp cheddar, coarsely grated Parmesan, almond flour, Vege-Sal or salt, Spike Seasoning (if using), and fresh-ground black pepper. Stir until ingredients are well-combined. Add the egg and stir until the ingredients are mostly coated with egg. (You might be tempted to add another egg, but don't. You'll be surprised how well this sticks together.)

Use a One Tablespoon Cookie Scoop or a steel one-tablespoon measuring spoon to scoop out rounded spoonfuls of the mixture and place it in the mini muffin pan. Bake 15 minutes. Carefully turn each cauliflower tot over in the muffin tin and bake 15 minutes more, or until tots are nicely browned on both sides. Serve hot; these are best served right out of the oven.[/USER]

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Boiled egg with a couple of cheese soldiers
L: Avocado salad, blueberries & cream
D: Haddock in ground almonds, Brussels sprouts, cream cheese cloud
S: cheddar (probably too much - again!)

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh no - how awful. Hope you have people around you to help. Wishing you a full recovery with no further problems!
Plenty of help, but no one understanding my new eating regime, so doing my best with what I have. Was on my way ouT to buy aubergine to make a special low carb recipe I'd read about, when this happened. Now I don't know what the recipe was!! Thanks for your kind words.

Reactions: 4 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Plenty of help, but no one understanding my new eating regime, so doing my best with what I have. Was on my way ouT to buy aubergine to make a special low carb recipe I'd read about, when this happened. Now I don't know what the recipe was!! Thanks for your kind words.
We're all wishing you well @MARGAR and hope that the pain is not too severe. Hugs x

Reactions: 2 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: cream cheese pancakes with home made lemon curd and coconut alpro yoghurt
L: coconut flatbread stuffed with home made smoked mackerel pate and topped with cheddar - browned under the grill
D: cauliflower rice kedgeree made with trout instead of haddock

A fun experimental day of cooking!

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
B. 1 slice Burgen bread toasted with sliced Double Gloucester cheese
L. 97% meat sausages + 2 fried eggs
D. Roast chicken + onion omelette
S. 2 pieces crispy bacon 1/2 oz applewood cheese 7 almonds

Reactions: 3 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: on the move, 1/2 toasted Lidl Tile with butter, and some cold Chipolatas plus a Coffee with cream

L: Took the filling out of a couple of sarnies at the course, but ended up eating 3 1/4 size sandwiches (brown bread). Managed to resist the cakes.

D: Chicken Curry with Cauliflower Bahji and Courgette Bahji.

Some glasses of Shiraz plus 2 squares of 85%

suehatton

If I lost weight based on what I resisted rather than what I ate then I should be like Twiggy by now.
B. Burgen toast with cheese spread
L. Handful nuts Babybel
D. Chippy tea for all except I had about a third of a chicken kebab with salad, no bread or chips so basically chicken salad. Funny feet.
Resisted the biscuits at the long meeting and had an apple, then resisted the gigantic chocolate chip muffin that was saved for me from the managers breakfast. Had a green tea instead.

Reactions: 11 people

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Almond butter bread & cream cheese
L: Avocado & bacon fried in butter with egg on top, blueberries & coconut cream
D: Beef casserole with cauliflower mash, jelly, cream & grated 85% chocolate
S: large chunk of cheddar!

Reactions: 8 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
B. White coffee with sweetener.
Skipped lunch.
T. Mince pie with double cream. White tea with sweetener.
S. Half a toasted LIDL roll with Ardennes pate, one onion bhaji. Had a half of a chocolate covered sweet coconut bar (like a Bounty bar) - I have a couple left from my pre-diagnosis days, and I'm having one occasionally to use them up.
S. Some walnuts.

187ml bottle (large glass) of Australian Shiraz.

Reactions: 3 people

Dixiechick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Today is my first day back on LCHF for at least 18 months.

B. 2 x homemade beefburger patties. (Essentially just minced beef and an egg to bind... but making them into patties makes them freezable).
L. 3 Chicken Thighs, some cheese cubes, some mayo to dip.
D. Sausage and "Mash". The mash is going to be mashed baby pumpkin, cabbage, butter and cheese. Hubby is a spoilsport... he's going for normal mash.

Currently drinking coffee with cream. God how I've missed coffee with cream!

Reactions: 12 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
B. My usual 1 slice Burgen bread toasted with 1/2oz cheddar
L. 3 x97% chipolattas, 3 rashers bacon, 2 eggs fried in olive oil
D. Steamed haddock, soy&ginger dressing, cauliflower cous cous, 4 strawberries
S. May have small, cold, roast chicken leg for supper

Reactions: 7 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
homemade beefburger patties
My next project. I was going to ask about egg to bind, thanks. Also grated onion, seasoning, herbs? What do you think?

B: 2 poached eggs on 1 slice Livlife & butter, babyleaf spinach, tomato, ham, cream cheese, warmed up a bit.
L: Roast chicken breast with tarragon, lemon & oil coating, steamed his'n'hers veg, mushrooms in butter, garlic & cream cheese sauce.
S: Mug cake with cream cheese and double cream (after cycle ride). I may be o'd-ing on cream cheese, if that's possible.
D: Will be salad, ham, bit more chicken.