Scuba diving and diabetes??

yipster29

Hi I'm relatively new T1 and wondering how 'do-able' previous interest of scuba diving will be.

The fact I'm even prepared to consider it shows I've moved on as far too scared to consider that 6 months ago!! Is there anyone who still manages to do this and what effect has it had on BG??

Are there any suitable glucose products any one knows of to take down in case needed?

Thanks for the advice guys :D

Cath

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Im thinking outdoor rock climbing for a high... and the fitness!!! Just need to get over my small fear of hights... ummm ;0)

franimal

I haven't been scuba diving since being diagnosed either but remember when I did my PADI a few years ago there was a guy with T1 diabetes, think he had to get signed off by a dive doctor but had no problems. I surf and rock climb (indoor, since london's a little short on mountains!) and haven't had any diabetes related problems and both are great for BG readings. tend to be a little cautious the first time trying a sport again since being diagnosed but so far so good!
good luck with the diving
fran

claridge

Dislikes
Rude arrogant people
Yes please!!! Really want to get more into extreme sports... would be a lot easier if we did it together :)

Franimal- where do you go surfing?

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hi,

I went diving in Australia for an afternoon (didn't tell them as had previously been stopped when I did) and just kept the sugars at a slightly elevated level and also went again for a couple of hours in Barbados where they didn't ask so I didn't say and again made sure I was nowhere near being hypo when I went in.

You need to use common sense and if you want to do it, do it but you may have to be slightly circumspect and take responsibility for yourself if you do have a hypo. Bearing in mind that you can't just quickly swim to the surface and get help.

Dillinger

yipster29

Thanks Dillinger

What kind of depths / water conditions did you goout in and did it have any obvious affects or none really?

Worries me a bit not telling anyone for those obvious reasons, particularly where the effects of Nitrogen narcosis on deep dives is 'drunken behaviour' as with a hypo. Even if somewhere gave permission it'd be nice to feel a bit more assured that someone like you have managed it without complications!

Thanks again

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I had a similar experience to Dillinger in Australia - just didn't tell them. The registration form at the dive school asked loads of questions, including all the usual health scenarios with diabetes specifically mentioned. If I had told them, I wouldn't have been allowed to dive, end of story, which would have been "quite" disappointing to say the least...

Very irresponsible but a personal choice, and anyway I hadn't travelled 10,000 miles to be told at the final hurdle: NO! Just had to be extra careful with bg levels, and OMG was it worth it!!!

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
The diving I did was pretty simple stuff really - I don't have a PADI so both dives were basically simple ones not going very deep with an instructor close by. I can't remember how deep it was; does 15-20 metres sound about right for that sort of level? I can't remember to be honest; very good fun all in all.

Wouldn't have really wanted to push it though.

yipster29

Does indeed sound right Dillinger.

Thanks again, I've PADI basic and Advanced but kinda think they'll count for nothing now I've also got the Diabetic tag!

Jaxx

Hi Folks
I'm a newbie here so hope this works. I've been diving with type 1 since 1986 and am a PADI Divemaster, so it is possible :D

However, I ALWAYS declare my diabetes:
1. To the dive organisation - It's not fair on the professionals who take you out to leave them in the dark!! It should be possible to get a letter from your doctor - in these litiginous days everyone has become much more cautious and invariably want someone else to say you manage your diabetes and it's ok.
2. To the travel insurance company. However, diving up to 30m is now usually included in the basic premium.

We've done several hundred boat and shore dives, and, for preference, liveaboard trips. Max depth 120 feet. (What's that - about 36m?) I still log every dive and record blood sugars before, after and during surface intervals. I've never had a problem under water. Liveaboard diving is a challenge because the effects are cummulative when you're doing 3 or 4 dives a day on consecutive days, but the dive sites are better!

Good luck....

Marky74

I am about to sell all my scuba gear, for two reasons not been in the water in years and now being a T1 it is putting me off with all the extra medials and the insurance could be provibabtive..

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
I have to work very hard to control my diabetes and it doesn't always work out....but I will not let it rule my life or stop me from doing something..
I have a sensible attitude to it all and look carfully into things first..I think sensible thinking and a lot of common sense and you will work your way through most things.

When I went diving it as a small community and the dr in charge took over 24 hours to decide if he would even see me...not a good start I felt!....I went to a dr in Harley st london...I think it was dr King but it was a few years ago...he had been dealing with diabetic divers for over 30 years....
brilliant down to earth guy....I passed my medical....I explained what I felt I would do if I had a hypo at depth.....(long needles syringe to get through wet suit)........for sensibles sake there is a limit to what I can dive to depth wise...if you wanted to change that then thats for you to work on....

So I have taken each dive on its own merit....I went in the dominican republic...I felt that it was a sensible responsible group....I didn't mention my diabetes until I was about to get in the sea. then I gave the driver a bag of sweets and briefly explained......my husband was with me...although I was supporting him on his first dive...

I hadn't put my info on the paperwork because some places ( aside from diving) really do get very anal about it and won't even let a diabetic have a regular massage in a beauty therapy salon!!!!!

I love to swim....I drive,(needing to replace my license each year for the granddad license categories), I have tattooos, and take care of myself.......I do regular boat journeys that sap the life out of me and I'm sure lots of diabetics have found through sensible adjustment we can do everything everyone else can do!

whilst I am a chicken when it comes to extrreme sports...I think its a great idea........ :lol:

to be honest....the daily battle with diabetes is probably the hardest thing I have to do!!!! something as simple as a good medical group I would love....I don't have that contact..so it s me my husband and on occassion my gp.........this online forum is great to share.....today I had something positive to help someone else with.......makes a change!!!!

good luck! have fun! take care! :D

Marky74

I find it more frustrating than anythign else..

As the wife said I have not dived in 5 years, so sell the stuff...

I won't be giving up my rugby :)

Ruby is part of the reason I need to sell my stuff, as my rugby thighs won't fit in my dry suit :)

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How to carry sugar in water - energy gels which are packed in soft plastic pods that are torn open (so have to eat all or keep remains until you can dispose of appropriately, and contain various sugars, electrolytes and some water eg High5. You're supposed to drink water at the same time as ingesting each gel. Triathlete belts have elastic loops to hold gel packs, as well as race numbers.

Jaxx

I think they're absolutely foul, but a Glucogel tube is great for underwater emergency use as it's really easy to tuck inside a wetsuit or in a BCD pocket. (Sorry, don't know anything about dry suits. I like the water warm and clear!!) Simply twist or bite the top off, or even use your dive knife, and then just suck it up.