Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
These are the ingredients:

Lidl High Protein Rolls
Ingredients:
Water, Linseeds, Wheat Protein, Soya Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Sesame, Soybean Meal, Sunflower Seeds, Wheat Bran, Oat Fiber, Yeast, Salt, Colouring Spice Extracts (Curcuma).
Each roll is 112g
Nutritional Information:
Typical Values per 100g:
Energy 1194kJ/268kcal
Fat 13.4g
Of which saturates 0.4g
Carbohydrate 8.5g
Of which sugars 0.5g
Fibre 12.4g
Protein 26.7g
Salt 0.99g
Allergens:
For allergens see ingredients in bold.
May contain traces of milk and egg.

Reactions: 2 people

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had my first slice last night toasted with some home made tuna pate, lovely,:D my craving for starch is now filled :), last nights slice was 25g so about 3g of carbs, had another with my fry up this morning about 40g so 4/5g of carbs :) love this forum....:D

Going to try a peanut butter mug cake later, with my 8 year old lass as chief tester......................

Reactions: 4 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Glad you like them. There must be thousands being eaten every day. They seem to be very popular with diabetics, not to forget body builders of course !!!

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
How do you make peanut butter mug cake?

jodysd6

I don't have a local lidl but there is one near our other office that I work from every other week so popped in today and got some, I had a full one with soup and bolused for it, I was not convinced it would work as it was quite tasty and I had a full one but although I did spike a little I was a bit high to start and I didn't have time for a pre-bolus so next time I think I need to work on the timing but other than that it seemed to work, so I'm looking forward to having the odd one of these when I get the bread cravings!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Had my first slice last night toasted with some home made tuna pate.
@mfactor I don't know if you make your tuna pate with canned tuna, but when I went on the DESMOND course the nurse told us that the canning process destroys the omega oils in the tuna.
I asked her if that applies to canned salmon too, but she said it doesn't, so I mix canned salmon with mayonnaise for sandwiches or on toasted LIDL rolls.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do you make peanut butter mug cake?

Just saw it on here the other day, mix 2 tbsp peanut butter in a mug with 1 egg and optional sweetener and vanilla essence and microwave for 60-90 secs, also loads of variations online..................

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@mfactor I don't know if you make your tuna pate with canned tuna, but when I went on the DESMOND course the nurse told us that the canning process destroys the omega oils in the tuna.

Yep saw that the other day on food unwrapped I think, , but I get plenty of omega oils from other sources , so all good..............:)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I love the Lidl HP rolls and eat quite a few of them. I'm having two today - which is unusual but its one of 'those' days. One I'm having with a chipoloatas / bacon / fried egg / grilled tomato breakfast and the another one filled with cream cheese and a touch of smoked salmon as a work meal sandwich whilst on the move. I test before meals and two hours after and they don't seem to have any affect on me at all but I do generally eat them with other things that are high fat such as cooked breakfast, cream cheese or just toasted with plenty of unsalted butter.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had to buy 10 today because my daughter is staying for a while and she likes them ! They were priced at 39p on the shelf but came up at 29p at the till Phew !
CAROL

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Got another 20 this morning and now my OH wants to eat them, bah and it's a 20 mile round trip to the neatest Lidl.

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today's update on the Lidl roll situation in West Yorkshire: After getting two consecutive readings of 6.4 today (first time to be that low since starting testing) I walked to Lidl, 4 miles along the canal tow path, and was rewarded with a freshly baked basket of high protein rolls. I bought 4 and have just had one half with butter, tomato and chicken breast and mayonnaise. My blood glucose was 7 before eating, probably because of the exercise, although I did get the bus back. I'll report back in 2 hours whether it has impacted on my levels. Fingers crossed!

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.4! Amazing. I'm going to go back on Sunday and stock up. I assume it's ok to freeze them?

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I slice mine in half, wrap in foil and they freeze well. When one's needed, I put the frozen half in the toaster, switch on and press the defrost button as well and in less than two minutes I have a hot toasted roll to smother with whatever topping I choose. Bliss and kind to my bg.

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
having to take medication
Yep, they freeze brilliantly and for some strange reason seem to defrost in half the time you would expect them to.

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry if it's already on here but heres the nutritional stuff on the rolls:

Ingredients:
Water, Linseeds, Wheat Protein, Soya Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Sesame, Soybean Meal, Sunflower Seeds, Wheat Bran, Oat Fiber, Yeast, Salt, Colouring Spice Extracts (Curcuma).

Nutritional Information:
Typical Values per 100g:
Energy 1194kJ/268kcal
Fat 13.4g
Of which saturates 0.4g
Carbohydrate 8.5g
Of which sugars 0.5g
Fibre 12.4g
Protein 26.7g
Salt 0.99g

Allergens:
For allergens see ingredients in bold.
May contain traces of milk and egg

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure how anyone can eat a whole one of these they are really filling!

vxrich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just bought my first batch and had a sneaky taste. All I'm gonna say is Godsend!

rosserk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just bought my first batch and had a sneaky taste. All I'm gonna say is Godsend!

They sell out really quickly so best to buy a dozen and freeze them! Strangely they only take about ten minutes to defrost.