Poll: Sugar tax - what do you think?

Do you support a sugar tax?

• Yes: absolutely

• Yes: depends on how much tax is added though

• No: we don't need a sugar tax but better labelling about sugar content would be great

• No: things are fine the way they are

• I'm not sure

• No: there should be a carb tax

• No: Government needs to get manufacturers to reduce the sugar content of their foods

• No: there needs to be better education

Results are only viewable after voting.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
With the prospect of a sugar tax supported by Jamie Oliver (but refuted by David Cameron), what do people think - should there be a sugar tax? It has been reported that hypo treatments would be exempt from a sugar tax.

Labelling suggestions from Jamie:

jamie-oliver-drink-inline.jpg

If you think any choices are missing from the poll, please let us know and we'll update the poll :)

Reactions: 2 people

bladerfc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not for me but the good thing is the massive publication that sugar is bad maybe some people will take notice in life it is all about choices plus were do you draw the line with regards to sugar content?

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see a choice of a couple of options that might obtain in the future.

1. People craving sugar giving up something to pay the tax but still eating the sugar.

2. People who have learned what sugar does to them and have given up through choice.

Now, let me see, which one do I prefer?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am only in favour of a sugar tax if the money raised from it is used to subsidise healthy foods.

Reactions: 10 people

Dixiechick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I am only in favour of a sugar tax if the money raised from it is used to subsidise healthy foods.

I agree with this completely. It is so much more expensive to eat healthily that I fear a sugar tax will mostly affect those that already cannot afford to eat healthy.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is nonsense. Taxing food, of any kind, is an extraordinary step toward totalitarianism.

Reactions: 17 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@RuthW

I agree with that. Just another government charge that will NEVER see any benefit for anyone. They will not pass it on for the benefit of the population. That's an Aussie talking of course, but we have the same problem here ... fast foods, tax it, alcohol, tax it, soft drinks, tax it.

It is simply revenue raising unless the govt (yours or mine or anyone else's) proves otherwise. Just money in a bucket. The labelling is a no brainer.

Do it and if you lie about the content, run them out of business.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

In the context of a diabetes forum discussion, I don't care about the sugar content of foods. I care about carbs. The media's current obsession with sugar being the devil is just a red herring and I feel it is misleading.

If anyone watched the Great British Bake Off or saw Davina McCall promoting her book, you will know that "sugar-free" just means laden with maple syrup, honey and agave nectar.

The current traffic light labelling system shows sugar and fat on the front of the packaging. A newly diagnosed diabetic might see a loaf of white read with a green light for sugars and think, "That's for me, it's low in sugar!" http://www.bakeryinfo.co.uk/news/ar...ill_to_introduce_traffic_light_labelling.html

I was in Subway recently with a friend and they had a poster on the wall listing the nutritional information of their sandwiches. Again, only cals, sugars and fat. Carbs didn't get a mention.

It seems crazy to me that the Government wants to tax sugar yet are happy to push carbs on to diabetics while moaning that we will bankrupt the NHS.

I couldn't find an option to vote, but do not think sugar should be taxed. Sugar tax today, butter tax tomorrow?

Reactions: 20 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If you think any choices are missing from the poll, please let us know and we'll update the poll :)

The government needs to start with the manufacturers and get them to reduce the sugar content of their food, perhaps you could add that to your poll.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I see a choice of a couple of options that might obtain in the future.

1. People craving sugar giving up something to pay the tax but still eating the sugar.

2. People who have learned what sugar does to them and have given up through choice.

Now, let me see, which one do I prefer?

Very valid point.

That's an ever valid-er point! Jamie's idea is to use this money to fund 'much needed preventative strategies in the NHS and schools around childhood obesity and diet-related disease.' One questions whether this would actually be the case, I suppose.

It is nonsense. Taxing food, of any kind, is an extraordinary step toward totalitarianism.

Agreed. Would better education be a step forward? My wife works in Secondary Education and comments on how kids are drinking energy drinks and eating chocolates, etc on the way in to school (that's 7am-8.30am!). Although kids are growing and need key nutrients - they're evidently not being provided in the correct forms - hence the need for better education.

In the context of a diabetes forum discussion, I don't care about the sugar content of foods. I care about carbs. The media's current obsession with sugar being the devil is just a red herring and I feel it is misleading.

If anyone watched the Great British Bake Off or saw Davina McCall promoting her book, you will know that "sugar-free" just means laden with maple syrup, honey and agave nectar.

The current traffic light labelling system shows sugar and fat on the front of the packaging. A newly diagnosed diabetic might see a loaf of white read with a green light for sugars and think, "That's for me, it's low in sugar!" http://www.bakeryinfo.co.uk/news/ar...ill_to_introduce_traffic_light_labelling.html

I was in Subway recently with a friend and they had a poster on the wall listing the nutritional information of their sandwiches. Again, only cals, sugars and fat. Carbs didn't get a mention.

It seems crazy to me that the Government wants to tax sugar yet are happy to push carbs on to diabetics while moaning that we will bankrupt the NHS.

I couldn't find an option to vote, but do not think sugar should be taxed. Sugar tax today, butter tax tomorrow?

Absolutely agreed Most people think brown bread is all-round healthier for you and are shocked to realise it contains more carbs that white bread. In a similar vain, could a sugar tax be seen as a carb tax - and essentially taxing the most 'refined' carbs?

Unless healthier food options are subsidised or cheaper than sugar-laden foods, it does seem Squire's point that 'people craving sugar giving up something to pay the tax but still eating the sugar' rings true. A perfect example is how a carbonated beverage is more expensive than water in McDonalds.

The government needs to start with the manufacturers and get them to reduce the sugar content of their food, perhaps you could add that to your poll.

Added! :)

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Educating people about the danger of smoking cigarettes has not stopped some pregnant women smoking, so doubt they will not give a toss what surgery rubbish they give there kids education or no education

Pipey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Trouble is, even if there is a sugar tax levied, you will still have to look at the Nutritional Value to see what amount of sugar is in the product - unless the stores put all the taxed items in a separate area. The only way for hypo treatments not to be taxed is for them to be sold at pharmacies only.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The only way for hypo treatments not to be taxed is for them to be sold at pharmacies only.

Either that or we would need to prove that we are exempt from any tax by showing some form of identity like the Medical Exemption Certificate (but that doesn't say that a person has diabetes), imagine doing that when your buying a bag of Jelly Babies at the supermarket.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Either that or we would need to prove that we are exempt from any tax by showing some form of identity like the Medical Exemption Certificate (but that doesn't say that a person has diabetes), imagine doing that when your buying a bag of Jelly Babies at the supermarket.

JELLY BABIES ARE AN ESSENTIAL MEDICAL TREATMENT! :nurse:

Reactions: 7 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Panic ye not..
There's always "dried fruit" in the health isle..!? ;)

C

catherinecherub

Jamie does not offer a healthier alternative with his desserts even though he has a list of their nutritional value.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/italian/menu/desserts/

He lost some weight recently and put his success down to sleep and seaweed. (Another book title?)

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/08/25/jamie-oliver-weight-loss-sleep-seaweed_n_8035898.html

I don't think that many people will be interested in his message as he is too fond of adding plenty of sugar to his desserts. He is hardly in a position to criticise everyone else.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have some historical precedents to this debate. There are alcohol (prohibition and taxed), cigarettes (taxed), Seat belts (legislation) and mobile phones in cars.

How effective is the tax approach to alcohol and cigarettes? People still get their jollies and seem happy to pay enormous taxes to do so. Only the tax man benefits.

Seat belts worked but only after a few renegades capitulated and the mobile phones in cars isn't going too well from what I have seen with my own eyes.

I still think that education is the answer but it might also need the occasional kick up the backside.

Reactions: 4 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although Jamie Oliver is campaigning for a sugar tax, he handed out bottles of sugary drinks at the House of Commons Health Select Committee session at which he gave evidence. He had added a teaspoon symbol and number, showing how many teaspoons of sugar were in the drink. The MPs looked suitably shocked. Jamie Oliver told them that no member of the public he had asked thought this was a bad idea. He told the committee that he felt it would work just as well as a sugar tax.

Re: mobile phone law, I think one reason why so many people flout it, is that they see people driving and talking on American TV shows

Last night I had certified organic farm-made beefburgers. Gluten free, no added sugar on the ingredients. Yet when I took a bite, they tasted sweet. I had less than three bites before ditching them on husband's plate and my BG has been all over the place today. Recently, I found fructose in the organic pesto sold in Sainsbury's, Ocado etc and have quit buying it. Sugar or fructose are everywhere, even in some spice mixes and stock cubes. I can only presume that the flavourings used by the farm listed as organic herbs and spices included hefty amounts of sugar.