Keeping sets on when swimming?

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm currently on holiday and today I went in the pool not too long after getting out my set practically fell off me. Is there anything I could possibly buy to help sets stick on for longer because at this rate I'll be changing sets daily and I don't want that. I tried skin tac at home once but can't use it because I have some kind of allergic reaction to it. Any advice would be appreciated!

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interested to know what people say as I'm going to Mexico in December and plan on being in the 11 pools quite a bit

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've not had that problem with my sets when I've been swimming or at the beach, but One thing I do do though is careful press it after getting out if water. I find the water can loosen it a bit but if I press it back on while it's still damp, it sticks back down. I also dry it off between swims as I think that helps too. I did have one that kind of curled slightly at the edges but it stayed on ok until my next set change. I was careful with it though.

What sets are you using?

Reactions: 2 people

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I swim regularly and I went on holiday in the summer and was swimming at least twice a day. My experience is that I don't have an issue with the silhouettes but I have an issue with sure-ts even without swimming. Surgical tape round the edges can help. If you can get it iv300 dressing under a silhouette or over a sure-t is also good. Other more obvious thing is the usual one of don't get the set wet until at least 2 hours after insertion which is the advice I was given on first getting a pump. Good luck.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've not had that problem with my sets when I've been swimming or at the beach, but One thing I do do though is careful press it after getting out if water. I find the water can loosen it a bit but if I press it back on while it's still damp, it sticks back down. I also dry it off between swims as I think that helps too. I did have one that kind of curled slightly at the edges but it stayed on ok until my next set change. I was careful with it though.

What sets are you using?

I've stuck it down whilst it's still wet and sort of patted it lightly dry which seems to be helping but have also bought some kind of medical tape or at least that's what I think it is, it's I'm Spanish so I guessed. I'm using the Inset II sets they aren't the best for sticking down well I must admit.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, sets do seem to vary in their stickiness. I've used AccuChek Tenderlinks and Rapid Ds, and am now using Animas sets. I've not swum in them yet, but they seem nice and sticky.

I'm sure some tape will help a bit :) I also wonder if it makes a difference where you put them. They make get bashed by water more in one place, or covered by a wet costume. It'd be interesting to experiment.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had no probs swimming with the accucheck but I've not put them on and gone swimming straight away. They lasted OK with me on holiday in Majorca with 4+ hour bike rides followed by swimming to cool off.

Have you tried something like an alcohol wipe first to de-grease the skin as much as possible? I always tend to put a new set in post shower.