Hba1c too low for DAFNE?

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm half way through my DAFNE course at the moment. I've been diagnosed with type1 for 6 months.
On diagnosis my hba1c was 108, then after 3 months it was 51, blood test result give today 6 months post diagnosis and it's 40. We haven't discussed the results of our tests as a group, this is coming tomorrow but I get the distinct feeling I'm going to be told it needs to be raised ( A BG of 40 doesn't appear on the DAFNE hba1c chart, the lowest is 42)
So I'm interested to see what people think. Is it too low? Is it fine?
For info, I've only had 2 maybe 3 hypos in the last 3 months and I'm still honeymooning.
I have good control on the whole and I eat a mid carb diet at around 60-80g a day. 90 day average on my meter is 7.6.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely not "too low" - surely we want our HbA1c to be as similar to non-diabetics as possible? As long as you're not having hypos all the time you should ignore anyone who tells you to increase it, in my opinion.

My last one was 35 and I have no intention of increasing it. I'm 10 months since diagnosis and definitely still in the honeymoon phase - I think we should enjoy it whilst we can, as it will probably be harder to retain these low numbers over time! Also, it's been proven that keeping tight control in the honeymoon period can help to extend it.

Reactions: 2 people

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I want to cling onto this honeymoon period for as long as possible!
I can understand needing to increase if it's due to loss of hypo awareness or frequent hypos but I shall be interested to see what the course leader (who is also my DSN and is lovely) has to say.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
completely agree with @RuthW -- haha -- the amount of times i have had my consultant tell me my A1c is too low is more than i have had hot (carb heavy) dinners -- LOL :D:D

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine is very low and I get told off all the time by the DSN, but after I told her I had stopped driving, she wasn't that bothered. I feel much better with it very low and I have had no serious hypos in over 2 years. So if you drive, the HCP's will be concerned, but, if not then just get on with keeping it low, reducing complications and feeling well.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi Claire007,

My last HBA1C was also down to 40 (from 48); my elation didn't last long before I was told off by my DSN as "it's too low for a T1". Doesn't matter that I had good control: apparently I could have hypos between tests without realising. It is possible as I'm a relative newbie (under a year).

Sorry, I don't know anything about DAFNE.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I get told off every time I see my DSN,but it's ingrained in me to try to keep my blood/glucose as near to normal as I possibly can.

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
as with the rest, as low as possible without frequent disruptive hypos. Mine is in similar ranges to those quoted and 2 1/2 years after diagnosis I'd say I'm still in the honeymoon phase.

Nobody's told me that it should be higher, and if they do they'll be strictly ignored.