I feel So Down

SheLo

Hello I am recently diagnosed. Can't stop eating, I am so over weight and quite depressed. I don't have a clue and have no one that I can talk to who understands. Please help

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi SheLo and welcome to the forum.I think we have all been where you are ,especially after just being told that we are diabetic.
Have you been told anything by your doctor or nurse yet?
Have a read round the forum and see what you can pick up that may help you understand.Ask us lots of questions,that is what we are here for,to help and support.

SheLo

Thank you for your reply. I have started going through the forums and I can see that others have had similar queries as I have, ie Metformin and upset stomach, what are the best foods to eat etc. It is all very confusing. I have just started reading through the posts.
I don't know what my levels are at the moment as I don't know how I should test them. I am into my third week of taking metformin. The reading I got told at my GP surgery was that the first test result after I had fasted overnight was 8 and two hours after drinking the glucose drink 12. I am currently on 3 metformin tablets a day, but they are upsetting my stomach.
Can I please ask what is the difference between carbohydrates and starchy carbohydrates?
Also as I shouldn't eat bread or cereals can others tell me what they eat for breakfast?
Before I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic I have always skipped breakfast (lol) and often lunch too now I have to eat something to take the tablets.
I also take aspirin, blood pressure tablets and cholesterol reducing tablets as I have angina. (Walking chemist me).

donnamarie

Hi I've been there. I'm just considering whether to take Byetta. I think I make up my mind to go ahead, then a doctor comes along and talks about possible death from side effects and I'm back to square1. I'm also very overweight get frequently depressed. I go to bed at night thinking I'm gonna stop eating tomorrow, wake up and binge all over again. It feels like I'm stuck in a vicious circle and no one seems to care. I sympathise!!

donnamarie

I also have upset stomach with Metformin. If you stick with it it does settle and you tend to know what time of day you need the loo!! Ask your doctor for Metformin SR they are slow release so do not upset your stomach so much. I used to dread leaving the house for fear of soiling myself so I do understand. As for the bread thing I find its ok to have a small sandwich at lunchtime as it passes through your system before bedtime. It not so much avoid as limit. Watch sugar in things like cook in sauces. I have had bllod sugars of 18 + but have got it down to 6.9 which my doctors have said is great. Its the metformin that has done it. I am hoping the Byetta will also help.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
SheLo said:
I don't know what my levels are at the moment as I don't know how I should test them.
Get yourself a meter and strips and follow the instructions. Basically you need to test on waking, before meals and then perhaps 1 and 2 hrs after meals. A test before bedtime is also beneficial. Keep a food diary as well and then you will see what certain foods do to your Bg levels.

I am currently on 3 metformin tablets a day, but they are upsetting my stomach.

This might settle down but if not ask to be prescribed the slow release/modified release version. Easier on the stomach.

Can I please ask what is the difference between carbohydrates and starchy carbohydrates?

Here is a link to an explanation about carbohydrates. Basically avoid eating too many. http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_informatio ... tion1.html

Also as I shouldn't eat bread or cereals can others tell me what they eat for breakfast?

Here is a link to a previous topic about breakfasts. Have a read. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9636&hilit=breakfasts&start=45#p90563

Before I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic I have always skipped breakfast (lol) and often lunch too now I have to eat something to take the tablets.

It is best to take regular meals and try not to snack too much.

I also take aspirin, blood pressure tablets and cholesterol reducing tablets as I have angina.
(Walking chemist me).

That's no problem at all. I've taken them for years with any ill effects.

Hope that helps ?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
donnamarie said:
Hi I've been there. I'm just considering whether to take Byetta. I think I make up my mind to go ahead, then a doctor comes along and talks about possible death from side effects and I'm back to square1. I'm also very overweight get frequently depressed. I go to bed at night thinking I'm gonna stop eating tomorrow, wake up and binge all over again. It feels like I'm stuck in a vicious circle and no one seems to care. I sympathise!!

Which idiot Doctor told you this...? :shock:

Byetta is an extremely safe drug and there are many patients on it who suffer little or no ill effects. I'm one who has never had a problem with it. Check out the Anyone on Byetta thread here.
There is also a similar drug called Victoza, again we have a topic about it on here.

donnamarie

It was a doctor in Oxford. In fact 2 doctors within the space of three days. To be honest they frightened the life out of me, my husband too. Its good to know that not everyone gets the side effects.

wallycorker

donnamarie said:
I also have upset stomach with Metformin. If you stick with it it does settle and you tend to know what time of day you need the loo!! Ask your doctor for Metformin SR they are slow release so do not upset your stomach so much. I used to dread leaving the house for fear of soiling myself so I do understand. As for the bread thing I find its ok to have a small sandwich at lunchtime as it passes through your system before bedtime. It not so much avoid as limit. Watch sugar in things like cook in sauces. I have had bllod sugars of 18 + but have got it down to 6.9 which my doctors have said is great. Its the metformin that has done it. I am hoping the Byetta will also help.
Hi,

I agree, the upset stomach with metformin is scary at times but it does go away given a little time. People shouldn't expect the medications to sort their problems out because in my opinion it won't really do anything but slow things down a little. The only sensible way to sort out Type 2 is through diet. What's more the improvement comes along very quickly in many people's experience.

Glad to hear that you've had a lot of success. Congratulations - keep up the good work!

Best Wishes - John

wallycorker

SheLo said:
Also as I shouldn't eat bread or cereals can others tell me what they eat for breakfast? Before I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic I have always skipped breakfast (lol) and often lunch too now I have to eat something to take the tablets.
Hi SheLo - I've just about stopped eating cereals altogether because in my opinion they caused me most problems. For breakfast I now have tomatoes fried in a little olive oil together with variations on the following grilled lean bacon, low-fat sausages, egg, mushroooms, baked beans etc and if I have toast then I only have half a slice of Burgen bread (lower carb bread). That type of breakfast does hardly anything to my blood glucose levels. In my opinion, diet is very powerful way to sort out a Type 2 condition. I've been amazed at what I've achieved in a relatively short time.

peecee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Shelo, try bacon and eggs for breakfast, omlettes are a favorite as well as mushrooms. Ask your doctor or diabetic nurse for a blood glucose meter for you to self test or contact one of the companies that make them i'm sure one of them would send you one for free, but try and get a prescription for testing strips and lancets to save you from buying your own.

SheLo

Thank you so much for all your replies.
My problem has been that I am always rushing to do something or go somewhere. i work full time and I never seem to have the time to eat properly. So I will grab a chocolate bar because its easier than making myself a sandwich. I'm 55 so its going to be hard to retrain myself.
I go shopping and think to myself right 'buy plenty of fruit and veg'. These good thoughts last a couple of days, I get up earlier to make myself a packed lunch for work etc. Then by Wednesday |I haven't had the time to have breakfast let alone make a sarnie, so I end up buying a mars bar at work instead for lunch. Tutting at myself.
I even bought myself a well cute lunch box to try to encourage myself. The lunch box sits at work empty cos I keep forgetting to take it home.
At work I am known for my organisational skills but I seem to be useless at organising me.

Tonight the family are celebrating a birthday and all going out to a curry house for a meal. I am sitting here this morning thinking what am I going to order.
My partner is getting bored with the diabetes subject already I can tell and I can just see his face when I start saying well rice isn't very good for me and I'm not sure what to order. What can I have curry with that is good for me and won't make my stomach hurt so much???? Any suggestions anyone please?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Why not try a Tandoori mixed grill with plenty of salad , no Naan bread or Chapati. Stick to Papadoms, very little effect on Bg levels and VERY tasty. :D

elvis the cat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi im on metformin too and i find if i eat anything that is fatty or greasey then my metformin gives me sideeffects :p

Handyníall

Dislikes
Anything that'll wake us up before noon on a weekend...
cugila said:
donnamarie said:

Which idiot Doctor told you this...? :shock:

Byetta is an extremely safe drug and there are many patients on it who suffer little or no ill effects. I'm one who has never had a problem with it. Check out the Anyone on Byetta thread here.
There is also a similar drug called Victoza, again we have a topic about it on here.

Doctors tend to say this to cover all possibilities. You could die from a side effect even if it's a minor one. I took medicine when I was younger to help with my severe eczema (my skin would constantly weep). Anyway, one of the side effects was diarrhea. One day my mam came upstairs to find me collapsed in my bedroom from dehydration.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
And your point is.......?

So if I have a side effect of heartburn, I could die from it :? I could die from taking too much Paracetemol, does the Dr tell everybody you'll die if you take this drug ? I can die from a surfeit of water, do I tell everybody you'll die if you drink it ?

He's still an idiot !! What he said is just bulls**t !

Handyníall

Dislikes
Anything that'll wake us up before noon on a weekend...
Well by law you're supposed to know the side effects to drugs. Although a lot of people rarely think about the side effects of the things they take. In this case, it was probably a doctor who's either newly qualified and is playing it by the book. Or one that has had somebody have a bad side effect to a drug.

Either way, my uncle is on byetta and doesn't have problems.

Also in terms of over-the-counter medicine. The side-effects are normally readily available either on the packet or on the website of the medicine. Plus heartburn is a symptom not a treatment. But pharmacuticals and as a result doctors have to cover their backs when they manufacture/prescribe drugs.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
By law we are supposed to do a lot of things ?

Doctors aren't supposed to frighten people unnecessarily ? I could tell people on this forum lots of things about side effects which would probably get them running for cover - I'm not that stupid.

I do know that heartburn is a symptom, that is what I stated - a side effect. Perhaps that wasn't clear to you.

SheLo

Morning All
Well I went to the curry house last night. Cugila - I ordered the poppadoms and tandoori mixed grill. When my order came up everyone was really envious :lol: because my food looked and tasted absolutely fantastic. I ended up sharing most of it with them because I had filled myself up on the poppodums and pickles before hand.
To be honest the food still played havoc with my stomach but I think thats because my stomach still hasn't settled fully with being new to the metformin. I was also surprised to find out that the neighbour from across the road who came with us is also diabetic so she was really sympathetic and immensely kind. We are going to go out together the four of us to a steak house next :wink:
She said her diabetes came on in the last couple of years with going through the change. She mentioned that the metformin helps with lessening the 'hot sweat' episodes she was getting. Now I come to think about it I don't seem to be spending so much time standing at the back door trying to cool down.
I have also realised that my legs don't hurt like they used to. They used to be all swollen from the knee down and the skin felt really tight and now they are getting their shape back, yippee I have finally found something that metformin is good for.
Off to look through the other threads now ............. SheLo

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi Shel.o

Glad to hear my choice was liked so much. :D Your tummy probs could be you ate too much of it. I should have said that I usually have a doggy bag to take home as I can only manage about half of it.

BTW, when you have the steak.....no chips, try a good salad with it instead. Much healthier and good for your Bg levels.