High sugars - help please!

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its not sugar that's the problem it's carbs overall. You need to learn to work out the carb content of your food , I use the My Fitness Pal app, As well as counting calories it works out the carb content of your food, by weight, so you will have to weigh everything. This way you can easily find the best low carb food for you.

There's a good book called 'Carbs & Cals' which will help too.

Reactions: 2 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had good control for three years and then a long spell in hospital involving hospital food, strong antibiotic drips 3 times per day, heart medication which can raise BG levels and so on and I came out back in diabetic territory. Getting back into my old diet which served me well didn't make a difference and rather than the 4.8s and 5.2s I used to see, I started seeing alarming 10.5s and 11's and 9.9s. Alarming for me because that's what I started with 3 years ago.

I have had to go back to square one and am on a virtually zero carb diet to start with. I get to see the 4.8s and low 5s again so, once I feel more confident, I'll start the long process of introducing some complex carbs like pearl barley - it makes a good rissotto and making paella and curries with it.

Also, watch portion sizes. Some of what you have written about can be more carby than you think if you tuck into a good meal. Live like a monk for a few days and eat fish. See if that drops your BG levels. It usually does. Then you can start to think about making your diet more interesting.