Thirsty all night!

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi folks
i have read some posts regarding being thirsty all night long. I'm sick to death of having to drink pint after pint of water threw the night. I thought this stage would pass once the bg levels started settling down. Infact i think i'm getting more thirsty :?
Last night i drank 5 pints of water and still did'nt quenche my thirst. :(
Any advice?
JF

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Talk to your doctor?

You don't mention what your current readings are but I assume they are not high enough to explain the continued thirst?

CHeers

LGC

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi JF

is it only at night you are thirsty? - have you checked your levels through night? - are you on any meds that can make you thirsty? - 5 pints is a lot to drink - I do feel for you as broken sleep from needing to drink and pee is not good for you either.

I know you have asked about this in the past have you spoken to you GP or SDN about it?. I did think that maybe it could have become a habit or "learned behaviour" from pre diagnosis- but at 5 pints I doubt it! - are you eating something at night that you don't through the day - e.g. salted nuts as a snack or something like that - are you drinking enough through the day could you be dehydrated?

all things you have probably thought about I know but sometimes it can be something simple we have missed - if I were you I would be having a chat with my HCP to rule out any medical reason - hope you get it sorted soon :(

m1dpq

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a great lot.. Jazz, People who think they are better than others..
Hi folks,

I suffer with this eccessive thirst also, mainly during the night, but i also have a CPAP machine for Sleep Aponea and they are known to cause a dry mouth, but i drink the best part of 8-9 Litres of fluid a day, including (2-3 ltire at night).. I have been diagnosed with Polydipsia just to add to everything else, my Bs reading this morning was 10 but generally it hovers between 8.5 and 16.5 but the medical team are okay with this for now, Isulin is Inslutard 70 units am/ and the same pm, but no Hypo attacks in the last 4 years..

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive suffered with excessive thirst day and night decades before being diagnosed and I still do now. I have no inkling why and neither does the doctor.